The online racing simulator
Time for a different approach?
I have been a fan of LFS for years but like most the complete lack of development for years is starting to leave me disappointed, this would not be a problem is LFS offered everything a person could want but it does not. The lack of rain, night racing and grids of over 20 cars present a problem in my opinion not to mention that there are very few real life cars. However serious these problems LFS’s strong point has always been its physics, and this remains, it is one of the easiest to get into and has probably the best feeling of any simulation I have tried. The graphics engine is also still in a good state, with updated textures and reflections LFS looks very real and much better than most offering, in fact the only simulation I think looks more realistic than an updated LFS is Asseto Corsa. Anyway my point is that with all of these things going for it I believe that it is lime the Devs put LFS out to pasture and teamed up with a group that could acquire the real world licensing for cars and tracks and concentrated on developing a game engine, as it is I would happily pay £30 or £40 for a sim based on the LFS engine but with real content. So is it time to change direction?
#2 - Sobis
Scawen doesn't believe in paying for real world cars and tracks licensing IIRC.
#3 - col
Quote from Sobis :Scawen doesn't believe in paying for real world cars and tracks licensing IIRC.

Please link to a post where Scawen stated that belief.
Quote from col :Please link to a post where Scawen stated that belief.

It was on some thread about Scirocco announcement. Where he said that with Scirocco deal nobody payed to the other part.
Quote from Whiskey :It was on some thread about Scirocco announcement. Where he said that with Scirocco deal nobody payed to the other part.

So they seriously didn't get money for promoting the Scirocco at that event?
Bad Beef with VW causing the Scirocco not to be released?

Smells a conspiracy theory coming on.
Yup, that's the post we were talking about.
Quote from Alistair :I have been a fan of LFS for years but like most the complete lack of development for years is starting to leave me disappointed, this would not be a problem is LFS offered everything a person could want but it does not. The lack of rain, night racing and grids of over 20 cars present a problem in my opinion not to mention that there are very few real life cars. However serious these problems LFS’s strong point has always been its physics, and this remains, it is one of the easiest to get into and has probably the best feeling of any simulation I have tried. The graphics engine is also still in a good state, with updated textures and reflections LFS looks very real and much better than most offering, in fact the only simulation I think looks more realistic than an updated LFS is Asseto Corsa. Anyway my point is that with all of these things going for it I believe that it is lime the Devs put LFS out to pasture and teamed up with a group that could acquire the real world licensing for cars and tracks and concentrated on developing a game engine, as it is I would happily pay £30 or £40 for a sim based on the LFS engine but with real content. So is it time to change direction?

Gee. It sure is nice that YOU'RE happy to pay that much for a video game.
A big part of LFS's appeal is bang for your buck. If it was in that price range, it be thrown into and would have a harder time competing with titles like call of duty and whatever else. So you might have a game with all this neat stuff, just noone else to play with.
But you're right about lack of development. Or at least the appearance of. You'd think that something more would have been done with this game by now than what has.
Quote from Racer Y :Gee. It sure is nice that YOU'RE happy to pay that much for a video game.
A big part of LFS's appeal is bang for your buck. If it was in that price range, it be thrown into and would have a harder time competing with titles like call of duty and whatever else. So you might have a game with all this neat stuff, just noone else to play with.

iRacing is the most expensive (consumer) sim around.. and also the biggest. So there's that. People in this particular niche are willing to pay for quality.
#11 - col
Quote from dekojester :This should be it...

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1004111#post1004111

Thanks, I remember that post. It doesn't mention tracks, but the arguments still holds.

I think the problem might be that if the manufacturer started giving away or paying devs for car licences, they would attach a bunch of restrictions that could potentially make them useless for a proper sim.

e.g.
Our car must not be slower than our competitors car.
It must never be shown rolling over.

Another problem that Scawen doesn't consider in his post is that it may be in the interest of large publishers to keep the status quo. They can pay the licence fees. many smaller teams will struggle to, this gives them an advantage.
Hi there!

I also have come to a point where I know every corner of LFS.

I still don´t dream of warm icecream.

If I am missing something, it would be a bit more communication

between the DEFs and the community... also called public relations.

I have spend some time comparing LFS with other other games, and

found LFS is simply the BEST!

My theoretical wishlist is as long as it could be... of course!

BUT besides dreaming, I´d love to expirience at least the one car

that has been promised...mhh...

I allways stated that I was ready to also PAY (a little) for some addon

content... what else comes to my mind:

AHH...hahaha...when the last public annoucement on the lfs.net frontpage was made some commented on the tyre-physics graphics:

"One year ago those tyres even looked a little bit rounder!!"

I can still laught my brain out of my head about that one....

So, I have done my three-month moaning thing and wish a great summer to

all, the defs and the drivers, with a big

Greetings, Dandy
Must love these kind of people who complain about the ''lack'' of development. Honestly, devs do not care what you think. It's completely up to them. LFS is good in the way it is atm [imo] so all this complainin' won't give you any ''bonuses''. Like it or not, it's their own decisions that they make.
DEVS <> DEAFS

Quote from Alistair :there are very few real life cars.

Only a serious problem because the car set has major outstanding car types. A few random e.g. : no road legal V8, LMPs, road going analogs (as the FZ5 is to the Porsche archetype) to the Corvette roadster and M3/5 and exotica like Ferrari/Lambo/McLaren mid engined types, no RWD in the smaller GTR class (an old race converted Fiat 500 or VW Beetle like you find in amateur Rallies would do), etc.

All of these are staples of motorsport and seriously reduce LFS from what it could be, even without real world licenses.

I'd argue the same, but to a lesser degree, for real licensed racetracks.
I will laugh heartily for a good 10 minutes if this patch is still not out by this Christmas.

Then I will be sad because I don't want this game to die
I went through 4 years of highschool waiting for the scirocco, lol. 2008-2012. Something to think about
An different approach is only possible if there is an approach at all.

Lately, I get the idea that there is not really a tactic.

The Scirroco got postponed 3.5 years ago.. How long does it actually take before this tire physics thing gets postponed?
Quote from Racer Y :Gee. It sure is nice that YOU'RE happy to pay that much for a video game.
But you're right about lack of development. Or at least the appearance of. You'd think that something more would have been done with this game by now than what has.

Do you have a wheel to play LFS, how much was that?
i do know what you mean about the price though but as i see it LFS has quite limited content it just happens to be very good for the most part
Quote from Sobis :Scawen doesn't believe in paying for real world cars and tracks licensing IIRC.

Scirocco? Rockingham? BMW Sauber (BF1)? RAC? These are based on real car models, not look alikes (as all the remaining cars in LFS are, tracks are fictional).
Quote from TexasLTU :Scirocco? Rockingham? BMW Sauber (BF1)? RAC? These are based on real car models, not look alikes (as all the remaining cars in LFS are, tracks are fictional).

Yes. They were all free.

BF1 is from a deal with Intel, VWS as discussed a deal with VW for the Leipzig Convention, Rockingham and RAC I've no idea.
Shitrocko and trollingham are just lies, lies I tell ya!
I shit you not, with the time used on tyre physics it gotta be more realistic than real life itself, aswell having the mathematical equation to cure both aids and cancer at the same time.

Ps: Just write ****ing 42 in all the tyre data and your problem is solved.
Oh, there's still discussion about LFS?
I've found out myself in a some kind of limbo, where i don't expect anything anymore and i'm enjoying the rest. So far it works nicely, i don't think this community will die soon, at least as long as there is promise of upcoming things. It's just shame it takes so damn long. But we all know it will be worth it!
Quote from TexasLTU : (as all the remaining cars in LFS are

You forgot to mention the MRT

But physics outperform still all other games/sims... I see no reason to do something about it. Don't fix something which isn't broken.
......GBP EUR USD CAD AUDYEN
S1
£ 12 € 14.92 $ 18.39 $ 19.08 $ 18.95 ¥ 1446
S2 £ 24 € 29.84 $ 36.77 $ 38.17 $ 37.91 ¥ 2892
rates provided by the International Monetary Fund

Those are the current prices for S1 and S2. I know this has been said time and time before, but if there was a reduction in price due to the age of this game, there would be more interest in purchasing it.

Look at the USD prices. For BOTH those prices you can get much newer games that are more frequently updated for around those prices. I mean seriously, OVER half the cost of CoD MW3 ($60), Skyrim($60), and MANY more.

This is a perfect example of poor PR and poor marketing.

Time for a different approach?
(179 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG