The online racing simulator
Some questions
(34 posts, started )
Some questions
Hi all, i have got some questions to experts:

1- What is the meaning of PB?

2- what is the best gear set? automatic or sequencial?

3- And for clutch? automatic or manual?

Thanks
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#2 - zeeaq
Hi firstly I am not an expert...but I think I can answer your questions

1. pb - personal best (lap time, that is !!!)

2. Start with automatic..then switch to sequential.

3. Auto clutch is just fine...manual doesnt make a big difference...and I think most guys here are on auto clutch as well...but if use a wheel and pedals and have an extra cltch pedal...then it really is upto u.
Hi again
First of all, thank you a lot for your help
Well, i always use sequencial box but for the BF1 (Bmw Sauber) i need to use automatic because the car is too damn fast and for example: in a time of 10 seconds you need to change almost 4 or 5 gears... or when decelerating.. so i can't get concentrated on the track because you are always changing gear so i use automatic only in the BF1. Do you use sequencial on the BF1?
Quote from Fir3spell :Hi again
First of all, thank you a lot for your help
Well, i always use sequencial box but for the BF1 (Bmw Sauber) i need to use automatic because the car is too damn fast and for example: in a time of 10 seconds you need to change almost 4 or 5 gears... or when decelerating.. so i can't get concentrated on the track because you are always changing gear so i use automatic only in the BF1. Do you use sequencial on the BF1?

It depends on what type of race i am in!! On Oval i use Manual as i mostly want to stay in highest gear for more RPM but say if im on a course with lots of corners i.e. City, i use Auto.
i use sequencial on all cars now, i just gave up on my act labs shifter.. springs kept breaking so i was like screw this and just use the padles on my momo

i have no problem with shifting because i do it all by sound, always have for.. ever, i dont think i have ever had a time that i actually had to think about when i had to shift, just which gear to shift down to in certain corners, but other than that.. its just purely sound
Ok thank you
Speaking about wheels, i am using the Logitech MOMO racing:

Is it a good wheel for a person who just wants to keep this game to a
non-professional level?
#7 - Jakg
momo is what quite a few of us use (me included!) and will be fine for even the most earnest racer!
Well , for shifting gears i use the stick.
But which is one is better to use, stick or paddles?
#9 - Vain
Well, the paddles are a bit nearer to your fingers. But well, it's down to personal preferance, really.
I use the paddles in all cars that usually use paddles in real life, mainly the singleseaters, and use a FF-H-gate-shifter for all other cars, though I used the sequential shifter before I got the FF-shifter.

Vain
Sorry for the ignorance, what is a FF-H-gate-shifter?
#11 - Vain
FF stands for force feedback. An H-gate shifter is a normal manual shifter (like those that you have in real cars). A "FF-shifter" is a H gate shifter made of an forcefeedback joystick that works like a shifter through a special software that makes the jostick react like a shifter.
That means you can put the joystick into the topleft and the car in LFS will go into first gear. You pull the joystick into the lower left and the car goes into second gear, etc.

Vain
In simple words it would be this way....you are new to the game now and so to the track and the car.To start off with use the automatic gear shifting and concentrate on the racing line, braking zones etc etc. ie getting to know the track and the car (what ever car it may be).Once you know the track well switch to manual gears...and once you are well versed with that...you should try the manual clutch.Although what settings you end up driving with will depend on your prefernces.So what I am trying to say is look for "progress in steps" but make sure you try different things.
Thanks Vain, now i understand eheh
I don't want to bore you with me but please explain me three things:

What is TC and how does it work?
What is Gear Blip and how does it work?
What is trail braking and how does it work?

Thanks in advance.
tc is traction control - only on bf1 and fz50 (unless im wrong). stops the driven wheels from spining (too much) can be switched off and on and can be set to allow a percentage wheel slip and a lower speed below which it doesnt work

gear blip - see gear change blip thrad but basically its an automatic prod of throttle on downchange to make it smooth

trail braking - means braking as you turn into bend, large thread on this somewhere either in this section or general section
Thanks
But about the gear blip, does that improve your performance and speed?
1.Traction control deals specifically with lateral loss of friction during acceleration. In other words, when your car accelerates from a dead stop, or speeds up while passing another vehicle, traction control works to ensure maximum contact between the road surface and your tires, even under less-than-ideal road conditions. For example, a wet or icy road surface will significantly reduce the friction (traction) between your tires and the pavement. And since your tires are the only part of your car that actually touches the ground, any resulting loss of friction can have serious consequences

2.Blip as explained above by tinvek.ie simply the computer throttling a bit between downshifts to match revs.

3.Trail Braking - it means continuing to brake after having turned in for a corner. The further you progress into the corner, the more you turn the steering wheel and the more pressure you release from the brake pedal

PS - U shld try using the forum search.....also http://www.lfswiki.net/index.php/Main_Page might help.
Thanks a lot
But , what's the meaning of "revs" ?
Okay revs are nothing but revolutions / the engine rpm (revolutions per minute) / u have a rev counter in the game along with the speedo....u get what i mean???
For sure eheh
Sorry for some of my "noob" questions.
Quote from Fir3spell :For sure eheh
Sorry for some of my "noob" questions.

Keep asking those questions as I suspect there are many out there who would love to hear what the answers are

Oh anbd by the way an BIG Welcome to LFS
He really proved us (well, them really) wrong...

Welcome to LfS, I hope you said your personal life good bye...
nice to see someone brave enough to ask questions and no one deciding to flame him with the "use the search" routine or take the preverbial out of him for asking "simple" questions
Quote from tinvek :nice to see someone brave enough to ask questions and no one deciding to flame him with the "use the search" routine or take the preverbial out of him for asking "simple" questions

Well
I don't lose anything by trying
About the past conversation about if i was a cracker and all that stuff about S2 license...well, lets all forget about that, what matters is that i do have a official S2 license
Welcome to S2 Fir3Spell

Anyway, I have throttle cut on upshift off, but I have throttle cut on downshift on. With it off with upshift, it doesn't make that much of a difference, because all the cars usually shift fast enough to avoid engine damage at high RPM's, but I have it on for downshifts simply because I like to drift sometimes, and this prevents me from hitting the danger zone on downshifts mid-turn.

Some more advice: Use the shifters on the wheel and manual transmission. Turn off the shift light, and learn when to shift just by listening to the engine. This way, when braking for corners, you will know when to downshift with each car, in the process using the transmission as a brake, and not hurting the engine. Hope this helps, and can't wait to race you!
Hello there,
Some more questions:

1- In the options of the pedals there are 3 modes- combined, separate and buttons. What means which one? And which one should i use?

Some questions
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG