The online racing simulator
1st Race back in a while.
(10 posts, started )
Well tonight I decided to load up LFS for the first time in a long time.

After a little pratice in some off line races, and with my wheel poorly placed on the edge of my desk (off set to the pedals and monitor(racing excuses already lol)) I thought I would have a quick race online.

So as the race started I held back and stayed well off the racing line yet still managed to have a lagged car touch me, but no bighie. As the field drove past me I got into my comfort area and drove a tidy race passing crashed cars and a few slower cars (shock),

Well despite having NO set up, and being some 2-3 seconds off the ultimate lap pace (don't think I ever was on it lol) I still managed a lovely 5th place.

So at the nice young age of 41 I can feel a cockpit purcase coming on, and a nice decent set-up (poss a 3 screen system).

What I have realised is that all those years ago when I walked away from sim racing (due to becoming tired of the scene, nothing felt fresh anymore) I was wrong.

But tonight has made me realise how much I missed LFS.. it's a shame things haven't moved on a little quicker with more updates, but that does not detract from the fact Live For Speed is a bloody amazing sim which I will be playing a lot more
#2 - PoVo
It's nice to see that an old LFS player comes back to play this wonderful game.

While reading your post I was expecting you to say that you got crashed into more and turn it into a negative one.

I also agree that LFS is a really wonderful game, even if we don't ever get any more updates. The price that I paid for so much game-play time was so worth it.

After all I haven't played any other game longer than LFS...
I would have to agree, I've been playing LFS for a long long time, and feel like the money I paid for my S1 then S2 license has been well rewarded.

The sim runs so well on my old'ish P.C, and a few tweeks to my new G27 and I was a very happy boy. Like I posted above I think I became lost in all the sims of the time, and still have them on my P.C, NetkarPro, rFactor, GPL, iRacing, GTR2, RBR, yet Live for Speed in my opinion stands well clear of all of them.

Needless to say tomorrow I will be testing it some more, and hopefully next week I will set about ordering my cockpit
From time to time some events keep me dragging back to lfs also, though i´m also not that active anymore , I still can feel the reason why i fell in love with it...
Nice to hear you returned with (what it sounds like) low expectations, and found LFS exiting again! It goes straight into your body, making you feel one with the game. Something not many sims are capable of . That could be why it is still fun after so many years. It is simply "fundamentally" fun.

I myself, do not race LFS on a constant basis nowadays, but from time to time on private friends servers. Got involved in pCARS which also seem to have potential to satisfy future online racing nuts .

Also, as you may know, Scawen is working hard on overhauling the tyre physics which is why there's been a gap between the recent patches. Hopefully, the next release will enhance the driving experience even further, LFS-style.

Good luck with that racing platform config you have in mind!
Thanks all, I have looked into "other" sims, and do play some of the other betas (just), but I still rate LFS very highly. Something about it just feels right, I can't put my finger on it though.

I'm also looking forward to the update, followed by S3
Welcome back!!! Maybe I'll get to race ya again some day
I started playing again a little bit a couple a weeks ago. I don't really feel like digging out the wheel and fighting with the pedals though. I'm just not sure - well I know I have no time for that sort of commitment. Plus when I quit playing it had turned into a bunch of hyper realists. Totally took the fun out of things for me.
Personally I like to just play single player and use the mouse with auto trans. and fill south city sprint with all sorts of different cars. It's simulates the work commute
much more accurately that way - only I get to wreck the other cars. And doing my commute on a bike, that's a big plus for me.
If you do not use wheel and pedals, with clutch and a gearbox - LFS is like a pizza without tomato, cheese, schrimps and mushroms.

You'll have some fun anyway (that's the point), but in my opinion, LFS is fantastic whith full manual... also knowing my competitors having the same level of joy is very satisfying.

regards,
Ingolf
Welcome back Paulinho.

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG