The online racing simulator
Updating Hardware
(47 posts, started )
Updating Hardware
Hey all, I have an Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX400 video card (approx. 64MB)
http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce2mx.html

And i have an SBLive sound card... My total RAM is 384MB...

I am looking to update my video card and maybe my sound card too? And was wondering what would be a good replacement/s?

The computer is a Dell Dimension 4400 with Windows XP Home Edition and is around about 5-6 years old!

Any ideas???

Thank you!
Save the cash on the soundcard, you'll just be throwing away money.

For a video card, maybe a geforce 5700/6200. Should be a cheap little upgrade, with either of these cards your processor will be the bottleneck. You could go for a 6600 if you're feeling cheeky, don't know if there will be any difference for you though.

Don't go hog wild on the card, because it will not likely make the trip to your next computer since AGP is out and PCIE is in.
Quote from sweetreid :Save the cash on the soundcard, you'll just be throwing away money.

For a video card, maybe a geforce 5700/6200. Should be a cheap little upgrade, with either of these cards your processor will be the bottleneck. You could go for a 6600 if you're feeling cheeky, don't know if there will be any difference for you though.

I'll have a look at those... Thanks very much.

Sam
Would anybody else recommend any other video cards???

Sam
Quote from sweetreid :Save the cash on the soundcard, you'll just be throwing away money.

Don't go hog wild on the card, because it will not likely make the trip to your next computer since AGP is out and PCIE is in.

I always use PCI anyway so that's not a problem
if your mobo supports it... i'd reccomend a 9600xt they go for about 80 bucks. i am currently using an x800gto AGP 256mb and i can run lfs at 1280x1024 with 4xAA and 16XAF easily.
Quote from Gabkicks :if your mobo supports it... i'd reccomend a 9600xt they go for about 80 bucks. i am currently using an x800gto AGP 256mb and i can run lfs at 1280x1024 with 4xAA and 16XAF easily.

Thanks but i was looking for something a bit less on the price side... maybe around a max of £50 GBP...?
Quote from spsamsp :Thanks but i was looking for something a bit less on the price side... maybe around a max of £50 GBP...?

Asus N6600/TD 128MB
Sapphire Atlantis ATI Radeon 9600XT 128MB

Should be around 50GBP and for AGP slot.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Asus N6600/TD 128MB

Around 50GBP and for AGP slot.

Thanks, it sounds nice but i want to use PCI
Quote from spsamsp :Thanks, it sounds nice but i want to use PCI

Why....you dont have a AGP slot? I think there is not much better-powerfull graphic card for PCI slot avaible then GF2MX400...sorry
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Why....you dont have a AGP slot? I think there is not much better-powerfull graphic card for PCI slot avaible then GF2MX400...sorry

Woah... 1 sec... I do have AGP but i didn't really use it before, but if AGP is better then i should use that... which ones are good for AGP?

Thanks,

Sam
Quote from spsamsp :Woah... 1 sec... I do have AGP but i didn't really use it before, but if AGP is better then i should use that... which ones are good for AGP?

Thanks,

Sam

Look above which cards I mentioned.AGP slot is much faster then PCI slot.
#13 - Jakg
im running an ATi Radeon 9600 XT (256 Version) and it runs lfs very (well, quite!) well, not to sure about the 128 version. Before you go out and buy a gfx card tho, check your cpu speed, as this could limit your FPS (my gfx card is going flat out when my CPU (a 2800 Athlon) is doing 90%. This means if i get any faster than 10% more on a new gfx card, the CPU will limits it). Ok, that probs didnt make sense! What i mean is that maybe your gfx card isnt the problem, or your cpu could become one!
Quote from Jakg :im running an ATi Radeon 9600 XT (256 Version) and it runs lfs very (well, quite!) well, not to sure about the 128 version. Before you go out and buy a gfx card tho, check your cpu speed, as this could limit your FPS (my gfx card is going flat out when my CPU (a 2800 Athlon) is doing 90%. This means if i get any faster than 10% more on a new gfx card, the CPU will limits it). Ok, that probs didnt make sense! What i mean is that maybe your gfx card isnt the problem, or your cpu could become one!

I am actually on Pentium 4... I think it must've been one of the 1st as XP came out around the time i got the PC... I can actually run LFS on it fine but i am just looking for a card that will play all those BN games... Would you still say that the Radeon 9600 XT is the right choice for Pentium 4, as well as AMD???
#15 - Jakg
depends what speed the processor is rly!
Quote from spsamsp :Thanks but i was looking for something a bit less on the price side... maybe around a max of £50 GBP...?

Gabkicks is in the US. Isn't $80 USD around £40?
2.2 ghz....
2.2 mhz wouldn't even...do...anything really...Might just take 200000000 years to boot up the computer lol.

I used to have a P4 on the same computer as you, 5-6 years old...my processor was 1.8 ghz...But I just upgraded to a 6600GT vieo card, and an Athlon 3200 @ 2 ghz...and it's probably 3 times as better...
My lfs frames went from 60 FPS at the lowest settings to 60 FPS with full settings, 4x AA and 8X AF, but I run it fine without ANY lag ever at 8x AA and 16X AF

40 GBP is $94.81 US
Quote from xapexcivicx :

40 GBP is $94.81 US

I think you need to find another bank!

40 GBP is about 75 USD at the moment (obviously depends if you're buying or selling).
Quote from mrodgers :Gabkicks is in the US. Isn't $80 USD around £40?

I know... I realised that after i posted it lol
Quote from xapexcivicx :2.2 ghz....
2.2 mhz wouldn't even...do...anything really...Might just take 200000000 years to boot up the computer lol.

I used to have a P4 on the same computer as you, 5-6 years old...my processor was 1.8 ghz...But I just upgraded to a 6600GT vieo card, and an Athlon 3200 @ 2 ghz...and it's probably 3 times as better...
My lfs frames went from 60 FPS at the lowest settings to 60 FPS with full settings, 4x AA and 8X AF, but I run it fine without ANY lag ever at 8x AA and 16X AF

40 GBP is $94.81 US

How much do you pay for all that?
Hi all,

Why you guys confuse him:-(.

He has currently GF2MX card and this is very slow card even for LFS.I had that card as well.I had then upgraded to ATI8500 which gave me a twice performance even on 1.2Ghz Athlon(K7Architecture).

Secondly there is no FPS difference in LFS between the cards which has 128MB memory or 256MB memory because LFS even doesnt utilise more then 60-70MB of memory.

He should get for sure really nice FPS boost going from GF2MX(he use PCI version!!) to something I mentioned above already(AGP cards).
Asus N6600/TD 128MB

And the last thing.Recomending him a upgrade right now is not wise at all.Around summer there will be new architecture for AMD - going to AM2 socket(doesnt look like a big step now but the more bandwith will be neccessary for quadcore systems) and also Intel will come with new Conroe CPU which looks currently very promissing against P4 architecture.
The upgrade now would be a bit pointless and not future proof.

If he wants to upgrade the right choice is around late summer better in christmass time.

And just a side note I am currently running AMD A64 system because it kicks P4 a** really easily in gaming.

spsamsp,
what yout mean by BN games?
yeah he really shouldnt go lower than a 9600 pro or xt... with that kind of low budget
Quote from Gabkicks :yeah he really shouldnt go lower than a 9600 pro or xt... with that kind of low budget

I would better go with the ASUS NVIDIA 6600/TD 128MB.It has much better performance then that ATI card but at same price.

I have now 7900GT(finally new come after the older one screwed after 2 weeks) but I get same FPS with my spare NVIDIA6600 if I use something like 2xAA and 16AF in LFS.
Quote from Jakg : What i mean is that maybe your gfx card isnt the problem, or your cpu could become one!

No,
currently his graphics card is really limiting his FPS in game.
Do you know how slow is GF2MX and I even dont count that he use PCI bus version which is just slooooooooooooooow.
If he doesnt have currently a lot money ASUS NVIDIA6600/TD 128MB is right choice for him.With this card there wouldnt be anymore limit on graphic subsystem in LFS.

Updating Hardware
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG