The online racing simulator
LFS and Fanatec Wheels?
(24 posts, started )
LFS and Fanatec Wheels?
Hi, I finally upgraded my PC and just got started with LFS!

I like it so far, however, I've been unable to get my wheel working properly. More specifically, I don't think it sees the clutch properly. When it's not pressed, the bar for it's axis is halfway coloured. When I start to press it, the bar moves left until it disappears, then it reappears on the right and from there it eventually reaches the middle of the bar again. Is that what's supposed to be happening? It doesn't seem to be working quite right. I've also been having problems with centering the wheel, but I think I may be able to figure that out on my own.

I have a Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S wheel with the standard pedals. Does anyone have some settings both on the wheel an in LFS that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks in advance!
Maybe a silly question, but did you (re)calibrate your wheel and pedals?

Also, if you have installed (do it if you haven't yet) the Fanatec drivers, does it look correct?
Quote from Bose321 :Also, if you have installed (do it if you haven't yet) the Fanatec drivers, does it look correct?

Aha, that's it! The drivers! I've completely forgotten about the drivers.

*A few moments later...*

Yep, now that I've installed the latest drivers and messed around with the settings, I think I've managed to get it right where I want it! Thanks.

-

EDIT: Wait, before I downloaded LFS, I was playing Dirt 3 with no issues! Why did Dirt 3 work just fine without the drivers?
Quote from damonchoy :Aha, that's it! The drivers! I've completely forgotten about the drivers.

*A few moments later...*

Yep, now that I've installed the latest drivers and messed around with the settings, I think I've managed to get it right where I want it! Thanks.

-

EDIT: Wait, before I downloaded LFS, I was playing Dirt 3 with no issues! Why did Dirt 3 work just fine without the drivers?

Not sure - maybe DiRT has better (native) support for the wheel.

I hope everything is working fine now. Happy racing.
I'm using a Fanatec Carrera Wheel, theres just one thing I don't like about it.
My friend (with a G25) gave me orders in order to test the realism settings because I said to him that I can't drive RWD properly with it. He told me to stop, turn left to the max, floor and when im spinning let go of the wheel while still flooring.
His wheel gets pretty fast out of the donut and centers itself, while mine takes its time and never gets stable out of it. Not that I can't deal with it, but I would prefer a well set up wheel. Anyone else ever had these thoughts? If you solved them I would be happy to know about it.
Not sure if it's wrong or right, but can you show me your settings in LFS and on the drivers?
My inwheel settings are:
Sensitivity: 900
Force Feedback: 100
Drift mode: 3
ABS: OFF
Linearity: 0
Deadzone: 0
Spring: 3
Damper: -3

My driver settings are these:

My ingame settings:
Wheel turn: 900°
Wheel turn compensation: 0
Force strength: 50
You might want to take a look at your drift and damper setting.

Your driver settings should be fine.

Here are my wheel settings:

Deg: 720 (shouldn't matter)
FF: 100
Sho: 0
Drift: 0 or 1 (depends on my mood (but mostly 1))
Abs: 85
Lin: 0
dEA: 0
Spring: 0
Damper: 0

Your settings may be different ofcourse, or you won't have some because I updated my firmware.
This clutch stuff was kind of bad surprise at first, but it finally worked for me.

Deg: depending on ca or 900
FF: 100 or less
Sho: 0
Drift: 0
Abs: I dont remember, but I have set itto use the force sensor.
Lin: 0
dEA: 0
Spring: 0 (do you buy a force feedback wheel to use it as a spring one?)
Damper: 0 (do you buy a force feedback wheel to use it as a spring one?)
Might try those but thats what I had mostly before. Since my wheel came from stock just like a week ago, it should be still up to date, but how would you update the firmware?
Misread a little, you don't have the same wheel as the OP. Your firmware seems to be up-to-date (according to your available settings). Tell me if the 'problem' you encounter still is present after trying the above settings.

If so, try to elaborate more.
Quote from Bose321 :Misread a little, you don't have the same wheel as the OP. Your firmware seems to be up-to-date (according to your available settings). Tell me if the 'problem' you encounter still is present after trying the above settings.

If so, try to elaborate more.

Just to test properly, what were your ingame settings?
Wheels turn 720 degrees (change to 900 in your case)
Compensation: 0.00
Force: 35%

Maybe not relevant, but also selected the 'remove deadzone' selection.

Your result may vary to mine, because I have the GT3RS V2.
Quote from Bose321 :Wheels turn 720 degrees (change to 900 in your case)
Compensation: 0.00
Force: 35%

Maybe not relevant, but also selected the 'remove deadzone' selection.

Your result may vary to mine, because I have the GT3RS V2.

Tried out your settings with 720°, feels the same to me. I think you just got used to it. Well, Ima do the same.
On project cars I have seen some people using the logitech drivers with this wheel. Anybody using the same trick around here? I did not try yet but it might be a good idea
Sometimes I experience the forcefeedback to switch off, it is kind of strange.
I recently had a friend at home and he felt my ff was bad in term of feeling compared to his gt500rs/f1. It is a bit disappointing regarding wheels in the same price range.
Quote from loopingz :On project cars I have seen some people using the logitech drivers with this wheel. Anybody using the same trick around here? I did not try yet but it might be a good idea
Sometimes I experience the forcefeedback to switch off, it is kind of strange.
I recently had a friend at home and he felt my ff was bad in term of feeling compared to his gt500rs/f1. It is a bit disappointing regarding wheels in the same price range.

Must be something with your wheel. Which one do you have? A GT3RS V2 or newer should be smoother and more precise than any Logitech or Thrustmaster. And don't forget what he thinks is good, might not be?
Quote from PcmciaKai :Tried out your settings with 720°, feels the same to me. I think you just got used to it. Well, Ima do the same.

Might be. I didn't find the switch from my G25 and G27 that hard really, but then again, I have a different wheel.
I was talking about using logitech driver with my wheel (fanatec gt3rs v2), not about using the logitech wheel. I am convienced the fanatec wheel is a better hardware, but the software seem to mess up a bit.
My friend wheel is a t500rs, it is a thrusmaster wheel around 4-500euros so we are in the same price range.
Except from the part that the GT3RS V2 is 100-200 euro's cheaper.

Anyway, I don't see what's wrong with the software from the Fanatec wheels, you have all and more settings than a Logitech wheel and a Thrustmaster. The software does its job and is stable, I don't see why it's bad. It can also be that the game in question doesn't scale well on all wheels.

I don't see how the Logitech software would work on a Fanatec though obviously. Even if it did I don't see the reason to use it.
Quote from Bose321 :
I don't see how the Logitech software would work on a Fanatec though obviously. Even if it did I don't see the reason to use it.

It works for compatibility reasons with games that are optimized for G25
Quote from Whiskey :It works for compatibility reasons with games that are optimized for G25

Maybe I am mistaken or you, but I meant: how does the Logitech software would make a Fanatec wheel work? It's like installing nVidia drivers for your AMD videocard the way I see it?
Im not 100% sure, but it could be done for compatibility with PS games. Its strange, yes, but it works.
Just got a new Fanatec GT3 RS V2 my self... just looking thru these setting suggestions. I found that setting the in-game 'Wheel Turn Compensation' down to 0 will mess up the input for cars that have naturally a lower wheel rotation (like the Formula BMW and MRT). By setting that to 0, every car (no matter what) requires 900 degrees rotation to get full input.

My settings (which I'm pretty happy with so far) are...

My in-wheel settings are:
Sensitivity: 900
Force Feedback: 100
Drift mode: 3
ABS: OFF
Linearity: 0
Deadzone: 0
Spring: 0
Damper: 0

My in-game settings:
Wheel turn: 900°
Wheel turn compensation: 100
Force strength: 50

Also got FanaLEDs working on 'gear' mode... love it.
Are you a drifter? I honestly didn't like the drift setting on such a high amount. I used 0 or 1 on my GT3RS V2, don't use it on my Clubsport wheel.

Glad you like Fanaleds.
I do not drift... I'll test a lower setting and see how that feels. I do use a medium/high drift setting on my Karting games... but I guess for majority of LFS cars (exception maybe the MRT) it would be odd.

EDIT: Yup... Drift at 1 feels pretty good. But again if keeping sensitivity at 900, keep Compensation at 100 to ensure cars with lower wheel turn play correctly (don't need to change rotation setting for each car).

LFS and Fanatec Wheels?
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG