The online racing simulator
Throttle help
(15 posts, started )
Throttle help
I want to teach someone the basics of pulling off using a clutch. Tried this on LFS but the throttle starts coming on its own. Why?

Can this be turned off? I can't find an option.
#2 - Sobis
Quote from dontsimon :but the throttle starts coming on its own. Why?

Because the engine is trying not to stop and it is doing that by putting more fuel into the cylinders.

I think cars (ECU's or how are they called?) in real world do the same, you just don't feel it.
This is a little bit confusing.

In real life, engines controlled by ECU would automatically give some more fuel when rev gets too low, but it doesn't mean the throttle position will change as well. With drive-by-wire throttle or some other device like cruise controller this may be possible, but not for sure.
Edit: see below

What are you two on about?

@dontsimon - Options > Driver > Brake help : [no]

The throttle coming in-to prevent stalling is also controlled by the above "brake help" settings.
#5 - Sobis
Quote from Silverracer :What are you two on about?

@dontsimon - Options > Driver > Brake help : [no]

The throttle coming in-to prevent stalling is also controlled by the above "brake help" settings.

Wow, I think this is the first time you are wrong!

That brake help has nothing to do with throttle.

I'll say it again: IRL your car does the same, you just don't feel it, because there is no virtual bar at the bottom right corner that shows you how much fuel you are putting into the engine.
-
(Silverracer) DELETED by Silverracer
Whoops! Indeed - can't be turned off with turning off brake help; sorry about the mis-information!
Just throw my ct (1 is enuff isn't it?)...

@Dontsimon:
-Is this happening since the beginning (read do the wheel worked fine before)?
-Is the wheel properly calibrated?
-Are the axis bars showing normal behaviour (read not inverted)?

ps@Silver: then I misunderstood the problem... I never (ever) drove with kb anyway & almost never with autoclutch (except for the cars that don't leave choice).
But that's right, it has been here for "some" while, I remember when engine was always on unable to stall (dont ask what version it was back in the days anyway...)..
I think this has always been the case. I've noticed it before, but until few hours ago I was under the impression that it could be turned of by changing the brake help setting (setting it to off).

@1303s_vortech you can try it yourself, it even happens when using kb (no help/stabilised).

Use auto clutch = no. When the car is about to stall (say you are slowing down but not pressing the clutch), automatically throttle is applied (the green bar increases).

Not quite sure why throttle is automatically applied here. So OP's "Why? Can this be turned off?" stands...
Electronic fuel injection engines try to maintain idle speed by either using an idle air valve that bypasses the throttle or by directly opening the throttle (like my car, it uses a DBW throttle and tries pretty hard to not stall.)
options - driver - auto clutch off
Quote from Rotareneg :Electronic fuel injection engines try to maintain idle speed by either using an idle air valve that bypasses the throttle or by directly opening the throttle (like my car, it uses a DBW throttle and tries pretty hard to not stall.)

That's exactly what I've been trying to tell.
Quote from Rotareneg :Electronic fuel injection engines try to maintain idle speed by either using an idle air valve that bypasses the throttle or by directly opening the throttle (like my car, it uses a DBW throttle and tries pretty hard to not stall.)

But it still shouldn't be able to keep the car moving while in gear and completely off throttle. The XFG for instance can be driven like that in 5th gear and it even makes it up some mild hills with the throttle bar showing full throttle.

Quote from Franky.S :options - driver - auto clutch off

It does that even with autoclutch off. I'm not sure, but I could swear that it wasn't always like this.
I just played around with the XFG and it couldn't even climb the hill at the start of BL1R in first gear at idle, which seems fine for a small 1.3L engine.
On the older versions of LFS all the cars had a system what kept the cars from stalling. But at least in my current LFS version the cars will stall if I let go of the clutch too quickly and without throttle.

And yes most cars with fuel injection will "try" to maintain the idle speed with ECU controller idle valve, but they are still almost as easy to stall than old carburated cars. Also there are expections, like my own cars because I have disabled the idle valve and the idle rpm is completely adjusted from the screw what stops the butterfly throttle valve from fully closing.

Throttle help
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG