If the price is worth the add-on!
No, never!
No, I've got no money for that!
Yes, of course!
Commercial Add-On's
I was wondering, if there are people in the LFS scene, who are willing
to pay money for Add-On tools like mates@track or GhostCar or what
ever?

Would you pay a price between 10,-- or 5,-- Euros?
(3.5 GBP to 7 GBP)
(6.4 USD to 12.8 USD)
#2 - Vain
Only for the Nordschleife. But then we're talking about 20-30€.
Though, if I'd use those addons I'd think about donating money via paypal.

Vain
Quote from CrazyICE :I was wondering, if there are people in the LFS scene, who are willing
to pay money for Add-On tools like mates@track or GhostCar or what
ever?

Would you pay a price between 10,-- or 5,-- Euros?
(3.5 GBP to 7 GBP)
(6.4 USD to 12.8 USD)

With all the respect for your amazing work, I don't think many people would want to pay for it. At least I don't think I would, unless it would be something that is needed to keep playing LFS.
I would pay a resonable amount of money for quality addons i use. And the price around 5 to 10 euros seems very resonable with unlimited "license" so i don't have to pay every time for each release.
#5 - ajp71
I would be prepared to pay for utilities that I really needed but I'm afraid not the kind of small add ons you've mentioned.
I would only pay for things that would be officially endorsed / supported / sold by the Devs I think.
#7 - axus
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I would only pay for things that would be officially endorsed / supported / sold by the Devs I think.

yes i definetley would
knowing that this game is developed by only 3 guys, who have to make a living by the income from this game, i definetley would pay!

i allready thaught of buying a second license after the patch (u) to "donate" for de further development of this fantastic game!

there really should be a "donate" section on the main-site. perhaps the donaters could be mentioned somewhere in the game to make it attractive for the community.
maybe after s3 mods tend to make finding a decent game harder.... so maybe after S3... there could be some type of autorization of mods and cars by the community... a sort of quality control.
Quote from unit02 :knowing that this game is developed by only 3 guys, who have to make a living by the income from this game, i definetley would pay!

i allready thaught of buying a second license after the patch (u) to "donate" for de further development of this fantastic game!

there really should be a "donate" section on the main-site. perhaps the donaters could be mentioned somewhere in the game to make it attractive for the community.

If I understood correctly, the question is referring to 3rd party (non-official) add-ons. I would not pay for those. Much as I appreciate the efforts some go to, I can play LFS just fine without every single one of them.
Much as I'd like to earn cash from GRC I believe in free software, and with the ease of distributing files around the net (particularly small ones), trying to charge is futile.

So NO.
I could think of donating a few €s via Paypal, but I wouldn't buy an addon
100+ pages of source code.
2 people spending 3+ months spent staring at a 3d modelling tool.
Weeks dedicated to texture artistry.
Days spent on sound engineering.
A third person working tirelessly for 1-2 weeks in a music studio.
Weeks of beta testing & revisions.
Final release, two weeks spent dedicatedly promoting it around the net in every spare moment.

This is the effort that goes into a middle of the road freeware computer game.

Whilst the tools you have produced are truly brilliant I think if you want to enter into the shareware or low end commercial market you need to be looking at producing a full on expansion product, something that feels like one package rather than a collection of mods, that allows total customisation of LFS.
Indeed I think there should be an option to donate as such on the LFS site. I guess you can do that by buying extra licenses though, in fact I've thought of doing that and the giving the voucher to people that seem to need it and want it but can't get it (Like Wheel4Hummer - if I had the seriously extra cash right now I would've just bought the guy a license - he's been on here for a long time, really seems to enjoy LFS, and contributes in a sensible fashion...) This way, the devs get the dough and the joy of LFS spreads far and wide. Yay.
#15 - JJ72
Support it's official, however I don't think Scavier will ever make addons that cost extra money.

While other people wouldn't possibly make addon of such grand scale and release it before LFS is basically complete, it's not a matter before S3.
The only thing I would pay/die for is the sound being worked on, and some hi-res cockpits. But I imagine those will be touched sometime between now and S3 Final or whatever.
-
(Schooner) DELETED by Schooner
#17 - Gunn
I would only pay for official content produced by the devs, and even then only if I found it useful or neccessary.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
well, would you think people would rather pay for addons or get them free?
I would pay to cover certain real car/track license fees.
donating is possible, but no one use it (ok, some, but the number is less than 10)...

and such a thing would include free upgrades!
or, if significat changes were made, a little upgrade-fee....
Would surely pay for Nordschleife, for the rest, depends on the content and quality of the add-on.
Wim
Commercial addons are common place in other simming fields, flight sim for one, but like there, I think that only people would pay for addon content if it offered something "above and beyond" the current default content.

The thing is with flight simming is that there is a huge amount of time and effort involved in making the addons, its not just a model and some flight dynamics, there are systems to model and everything else inbetween.

As I said, it will all depend on what was offered, and for how much, also would these be 3rd party additions?, obviously permission would have to be sought before anything was offered.

I would pay for a decent (as good as GT4, if not better) Nordschleife.

Dan,
I would possibly be prepared to pay AFTER official support for S3 has died out, but dont really see the point as most will create addons for thier own use and decide the SHARE them free with a dedicated community of basically testers...
Quote from mkinnov8 :I would possibly be prepared to pay AFTER official support for S3 has died out.

:iagree:
I wouldn't be able to pay for it anyway, so...
If I could, I'd pay for an official add-on

Commercial Add-On's
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG