The online racing simulator
Cheating with multiple accounts
(21 posts, started )
#1 - MrSam
For several weeks, a guy comes in MRc servers to cheat, I think you all know his name Bugatiforever.

almost every day I banned him from the server but with the LFS system where everyone can create an account and get back on the server I think it is wrong to ban only the account. should be for the next update to a system of ban by IP.

I wanted to know, too, is it possible to ban that person from LFS which only cheat and will not give nothing

few account and IP :
Dec 18 20:20:05 Connect : 178.130.35.223
Dec 18 20:20:06 [MRcñ]Bugati connected (daeredid@fakeinbox.com)

Dec 19 18:54:05 Connect : 178.130.35.223
Dec 19 18:54:06 [MRCñ] Bugatti connected (voustama@fakeinbox.com)

Dec 19 18:55:25 Connect : 178.130.35.223
Dec 19 18:55:28 [MRCñ] Bugatti connected (cajowrou@fakeinbox.com)

Dec 19 18:59:56 Connect : 178.130.35.223
Dec 19 18:59:58 m 8R connected (M8R)

Please ban him from LFS
Kind regards
Sam
I have no idea how the ban system works, but is it possible to block racers based on their registered email? In that case, you could try using wildcards: *@fakeinbox.com
You can ban him by IP using your firewall.
#4 - MrSam
Quote from Skagen :I have no idea how the ban system works, but is it possible to block racers based on their registered email? In that case, you could try using wildcards: *@fakeinbox.com

good idea thank's i will add fakeinbox.com in the list, but it's better if LFS ban him by IP
What if he uses dynamic IP? well atleast in your case he has static IP and am sure you can ban him by IP. Also he using some tag similar to mrc? lol
The log suggests he's on static IP. It's easy to configure your server's firewall to drop any connections from his IP.
#7 - MrSam
Quote from rageshgr :What if he uses dynamic IP? well atleast in your case he has static IP and am sure you can ban him by IP. Also he using some tag similar to mrc? lol

yes and he use tag MRc lol

Quote from MadCatX :The log suggests he's on static IP. It's easy to configure your server's firewall to drop any connections from his IP.

i think it's the best solution, thank's
If you put *fakeinbox.com into prohibited list, then he just find some different website supporting same fake mails, so this way is useless I think.

The IP should work, but we dont know if he can change his IP or not. There is also option that more people can have same IP as he, so if you block this IP you can automaticaly ban few other people too. No?

The best way would be release new patch with better security (and with Scirocco finally )

PS: Maybe ask EQ Worry to add banning based on IP's to Airio? His updates are faster than LFS Devs updates
#9 - MrSam
Quote from skswat :If you put *fakeinbox.com into prohibited list, then he just find some different website supporting same fake mails, so this way is useless I think.

The IP should work, but we dont know if he can change his IP or not. There is also option that more people can have same IP as he, so if you block this IP you can automaticaly ban few other people too. No?

The best way would be release new patch with better security (and with Scirocco finally )

PS: Maybe ask EQ Worry to add banning based on IP's to Airio? His updates are faster than LFS Devs updates

Each connection has a unique IP specific to each, as the mailing address.
we have almost all fixed IP address which changes only 2 or 3 times a year.
So for the someone else (playing LFS) awarded him the same IP address remains low.

So the best solution is to ban by IP, and we will be quiet for a few months

I put this command I hope it's the right :
/sbin/iptables -I INPUT 1 -s 178.130.35.223 -j DROP
Quote from MrSam :
/sbin/iptables -I INPUT 1 -s 178.130.35.223 -j DROP

As long as iptables are running on your server, I believe this should get you sorted.
Bans by IP are rather controversial, as there is high probability that they'll hit many innocent people and that they will not actually prevent the cheater from connecting. Experienced cheaters can change their connecting IP rather easily and nowadays many IPs are shared and one IP ban could affect dozens of people (using the same provider).

That's why I always refused to add IP bans to Airio, even though many people asked for this. However, there is a domain name ban available, which is almost the same thing as IP ban. It has the same negatives, but if used temporarily while fighting one cheater, maybe you could try that. Look in CFG file under "Refused Hostnames" and in Airio log for the actual hostname.
Set his house on fire!
-
(rageshgr) DELETED by rageshgr
Quote from EQ Worry : Experienced cheaters can change their connecting IP rather easily and nowadays many IPs are shared and one IP ban could affect dozens of people (using the same provider).

That's why I always refused to add IP bans to Airio, even though many people asked for this.

I do it sometimes when it's clear that its a static IP or even complete 255 blocks which isn't likely to be used by somebody else and it looks like its a dynamic IP. This is a Russian IP, who cares about Russia anyway? I blocked half China for the same reason, more bad then good.

If you have a static IP it's impossible to change it. You cannot use a proxy for gaming.

On demo it's pretty easy to get a full server even if you are sloppy with banning complete blocks so in my eyes you can easily do this.

But are there still serious things going on, on demo? Last time I checked it was one big mentally disabled kids party.

Quote from EQ Worry :Bans by IP are rather controversial, as there is high probability that they'll hit many innocent people and that they will not actually prevent the cheater from connecting. Experienced cheaters can change their connecting IP rather easily and nowadays many IPs are shared and one IP ban could affect dozens of people (using the same provider).

That's why I always refused to add IP bans to Airio, even though many people asked for this. However, there is a domain name ban available, which is almost the same thing as IP ban. It has the same negatives, but if used temporarily while fighting one cheater, maybe you could try that. Look in CFG file under "Refused Hostnames" and in Airio log for the actual hostname.

so we may restrict access to the server by IP, so the command would be, if I understand:
BHost =178.130.35.223
Hostname isnt IP. Hostname looks like this:

IP Address : 90.127.208.145
Host Name : adsl-dyn175.90-127-209.t-com.sk

Now the question how we can get hostname from IP
I tried websites which can get hostname from IP, but I did not find anything for his IP.
IP address 178.130.35.223 has no name.

One way exists. I was talking with EQ Worry about it, but there will required do small changes on our server config. Airio is able to get hostnames and store them into log, but mentioned settings are required to do.
I'm sorry, but I don't really get this. Firewall is a much better solution for IP banning, so why would you need this to be implemented in AIRIO? If nothing else, it would cause much bigger overhead because AIRIO would require for the connection to be fully established before it could take any action. A proper firewall like iptables doesn't have this kind limitation as makes the OS simply ignore any incoming connection from specified IPs.
I agree, it is not airio to the ban by IP but LFS,
unless Airio adds an option to ban by IP in CFG. But it was understood that this will not happen.

The best solution is to set up an LFS system to ban by IP but limits the period of ban. Because ban an account demo for 999 days is ridiculous, because the person can recreate another account and reconnect.

Ban by IP for example do not exceed 100 days, stay the best sollution, as for a forum you can ban by IP
Quote from skswat :There is also option that more people can have same IP as he, so if you block this IP you can automaticaly ban few other people too. No?

What's the chance of more than 1 man on shared IP playing LFS?..
considering LFS has max. 1.5k players online.. I'd say fairly low.
By my experience hostname changes every day (with IP), example for one user:
141-136-237-244.dsl.iskon.hr (one day)
147-169.dsl.iskon.hr (other)
or is it enough to just enter dsl.iskon.hr ?
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :By my experience hostname changes every day (with IP), example for one user:
141-136-237-244.dsl.iskon.hr (one day)
147-169.dsl.iskon.hr (other)
or is it enough to just enter dsl.iskon.hr ?

Banning the whole dsl.iskon.hr would prevent everyone connected via this ISP from playing on a server- not a particularly good solution. Both the IP addresses and the domain names can be dynamic, it depends on the ISP.

(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG