The online racing simulator
Quantum Levitator
(35 posts, started )
Quantum Levitator
This is so cool. I didn't put it in the videos thread as I thought this might also be a good outlet for an 'isn't physics awesome?' discussion too.

Quantum Levitator
How is this... I don't even...

Looks awesome
It's a superconductor - a substance which, if you cool it enough (hence all the dry ice) achieves an electrical resistance of zero. Not almost zero, but actually zero, meaning electricity can pass through it perfectly with no dissipation of energy whatsoever. They can do very groovy things when put next to magnets, as seen in the video.

It's a nice demonstration that quantum theory, for all the unintuitive nonsense it seems on paper, actually has tangible effects on the larger-scale universe.

Bose-Einstein Condensate is my favourite quantum mechanics macro-effect. If you supercool it, it acheives a viscosity of zero, which means that if you get a beaker of it and chill it down enough, it'll suddenly 'de-beaker' itself as it acheives the correct temperature and climb/flow up out over the sides of the container.
#5 - majod
fkin magnets - how do they work?
At first I was like 'yeah another Pepsi & Mentos vid gotta get my physics troll hat on' but then I was like...

Shiiiiiieeeeet.
A couple of people posted the same thing on my facebook, but I didn't click on the link because I just assumed it was nonsense. But it's actually an amazing thing to witness.
Thats cool (literally), does it have any real world applications?
Frictionless train sets. If you ignore air restanace.

Choo choo!
Quote from Crashgate3 :It's a superconductor - a substance which, if you cool it enough (hence all the dry ice) achieves an electrical resistance of zero.

Liquid nitrogen. It's -200 celcius, which isn't even enough to make most materials superconductive. The demonstrated material is one of the only known ones that are superconductive at -200 celcius, normally they have to go quite a bit lower, actually almost down to 0K.

Reading material for the interested Gotta love physics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meissner_effect
Ohh I love that. I want one of those NAO
So when can we get hover boots?
am i the only one amazed that none of you seems to have seen this before?
Quote from Shotglass :am i the only one amazed that none of you seems to have seen this before?

We played with levitating an ordinary magnet above a fixed superconductior when I was at uni, but I've never seen the thing with the moving superconductor above the circular magnetic track before, that's awesome
May this be a step towards a new possibility of even winning energy?
Really awesome stuff.
I'm hypnotised... although, frictionless movement? REALLY?
Quote from BlueFlame :I'm hypnotised... although, frictionless movement? REALLY?

Apart from air resistance, yes.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Apart from air resistance, yes.

Yea, APART from.

It's like saying Alain Prost is handsome, apart from his bent up nose.

Quantum Levitator
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG