The online racing simulator
Team Pursuit
(2 posts, started )
Team Pursuit
Was'nt sure where to put this one, but, this kinda seems like a logical place.

Anyway, I had this idea about a Team Pursuit race, (did a search, no links)

A couple of night's ago i ventured into a relatively well know team server running SO1, which, on one hand was a silly thing to do, because it was full of team members, and they were all stupidly quick, infact, so unfeasibly quick, i was sure they had a shortcut, but i was so far behind i could'nt see them take it,

Anyway, for some reason they had a reverse grid setup, so naturally, i started from the front row each race, and, i must say, they cut quite a swaith, as they blasted past me like a train on the first lap, it looked really impressive as this white and red snake curved its way along the streets of South City. (no idea who they were btw :jester: :yikes: :ambulance )

It made me think of those team pursuit race's in cycling, yunno the one's where they draft each other, then quickly pull out the way, to let the next guy take the lead as they feed into the back of the line. I love watching those race's, both on those high banked track's and on the road (Tour De France etc) Its almost like a well oiled machine, really rhythmical and they look great when they're all dressed in the same gear.

I was just wondering if this sort of thing could be done in LFS ?

I suppose it would only work on the oval, but if you could have, for example, a start/finish line on each straight, each with its own timeing capability, three teams of 3 or 4 cars, all starting at the same time, and the object is to hunt down your opponents, to try to overtake them or simple have the quickest time over a certain number of laps ?

It really would be a case of the team working as one, trying to get the maximum from the drafting technique, not looseing the draft, not crashing into team mates etc

If you've ever seen this in track cycling then you'll know what i'm getting at.

I realise LFS and the oval is'nt setup to do this kind of thing right now, but i was wondering if any of you had any thoughts about it, would it work ?, is it a good idea, is it a crap idea, should i just go back to racing my FOX on my own and keep my thoughts to myself ?, should i quit smoking ?? etc.

Obviously this wouldnt work on "pick up" race's, but for team event's, it may be something new and different to try. And, as far as the oval is concerned it may actually make it interesting (please don't flame me for that last comment, i'm EXTREMELY British, and i just dont get oval racing at all ??)

I'm not a team member myself, and to be honest i've no particular desire to be in one, but, i would be happy just to watch a race like this, if it was at all possible ??.
The idea is a good one but it is very Nascar in the whole having to draft thing. The tracks obviously arent set up for it but maybe it could be done with a mod?

As for oval racing - it has its place - just watch a race on one of the "Nascar 2003 Season" servers (I know its not LFS but just watch them!!!!) where they all race ovals properly and you will see how involving it actually is. The addition of the oval to LFS was nice but can't compare to an oval racing game (like the Nascar one).

In those races people actually work together on the draft and whole fields can race in tight lines, each one drafting the guy in front, dropping to the low line together to try and make up places etc. And these guys aren't even teammates.

Team Pursuit
(2 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG