The online racing simulator
What Constitutes a Wrecker?
(42 posts, started )
whislt the idea of setting a so many % of the wr type limit but lap times aren't the problem

i've seen drivers who are 50% off the pace yet never cause any trouble and people who can lap faster than any of the race winners who cause chaos every race because they cant stay in control for more than a lap at a time
well i would like to see the manouvers you guys pulled as you passed these newbies, did you let off of the accelerator? did you slow down and wait for the right moment to pass like any other car on the track or did you just stick to your line and pow! there they are in your way?

im not having a dig but sometimes people dont even give a newbie a chance to do the right thing before they have been hit by someone doing 40 mph more than them round a bend.

i dont think seperating the LFS players any more will help the game, finding servers with people on it can be a real struggle already, newbie or not, i like to see someone on the track at 2pm in the afternoon.

oh yeah and Ash is a safe bloke, he helped me loads in the past too.
I was in that server last night, and the main culprit she's talking about didn't really give much of an opportunity to pass, as he spent much of his time stationary inside the chicane, having hit the wall as he entered.

He then claimed "his friend" had been playing LFS while he was eating.

BTW Becky, your set was nice, but I found it a little too understeery and I went back to my old one. With yours I could never make it through the chicane at a sensible pace without hitting the wall on the exit. I think I saw you do the same a few times, maybe you should dial in a little more oversteer?
#29 - Smax
I've had LFS 3 years yet I still can't get round SO classic in a Fox in much under 45 seconds... why? because I play this game for fun with a logitech playstation clone type controller which doesn't have force feedback, or much in the way of subtlety. Mainly I'm slow because I'm not interested in making sure I calculate the optimum fuel load to with in a fraction of a percentage point. I'm not interested in spending hours fooling with a setup to make it perfect, hell I'm not even interested in spending hours hotlapping to make sure I don't overshoot my braking point by 5cm thus turning in .0005 seconds too late for that killer lap.

No I play this game because I enjoy it. I Shift+S when I crash, I watch my mirrors, I yield to a blue flag or anyone who's much faster than me, and since I've paid my £24 just like everyone else I consider myself entitled to race anywhere that's public.

One place I don't race is the UKCT net SO Classic fox server, I'm not a big fan of the combo, I'm slow and I know I am, and it's attitudes like do 107% of the leader's time or go away which wind me up, and keep me off it.

I can see both sides of the argument, I can understand why somebody might be frustrated to be lapping back markers within 5 laps of such a short track but I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you're really really quick and you only want to race with people who are really really quick then pay for a server, password it and invite those you want to race against to it. Don't ever complain about slow drivers on public servers, they've paid their money, and as long as they obey the rules,and behave themselves they have just as much right to be there as anyone else. and yes it is as simple as that.
What Constitutes a wrecker?

A person who's aim is not to race but to wreck others peoples race.
Waiting on the track blocking the racing line for example.

Judging a driver's "race craft" based on lap times is in many cases flawed
PBittis has put paid to that,I have seen this week a lot of new drivers who despite being slow are a pleasure to race with, that is what still give's me the buzz

I remember my first days with with LFS, lots of fun, and not a clue what was doing I Quickly added a sorry macro.

Damn nothing's changed

John
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from SamH :I think league racing is the best system. If you're no good, you don't make a league. Outside of league races, I think by and large you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Christ! Someone talks sense.
Quote :well i would like to see the manouvers you guys pulled as you passed these newbies, did you let off of the accelerator? did you slow down and wait for the right moment to pass like any other car on the track or did you just stick to your line and pow! there they are in your way?

This isn't the blue flag debate. We're talking multiple crash per corner drivers some of whome have difficulty navigating a strait.

Quote :BTW Becky, your set was nice, but I found it a little too understeery and I went back to my old one. With yours I could never make it through the chicane at a sensible pace without hitting the wall on the exit. I think I saw you do the same a few times, maybe you should dial in a little more oversteer?

I've not been happy with it since patch U and am currently redeveloping it, last night I made the car more stable and improved my pb by a staggering .03 of a second...

It will still understeer, but now I have the option of not cutting into T1 hairpin so early and still being competetive. It still understeers a bit because I like understeer, but I will make a 41 second set out of it yet ...

Quote :I remember my first days with with LFS, lots of fun, and not a clue what was doing I Quickly added a sorry macro

I was actually thinking last night about how rude some new drivers are, they take you out and never so much as even blink about it... Then I remembered I used to stop and type "sorry" when I got it all wrong.

Quote :Have to say I just tried that SO1/FOX server tonight and it was a total mess. Won't be going back there in a hurry...

I hope your not the guy I took out whilst battling for the lead, I owe someone an appology myself from last night ... he dissapeared offline though.

SO1+FOX: Let's be honest, it's carnage. However the short track leads to lots of backmarker action and the blind bends lead to lots of adrenaline pumping dodging. You cant race there expecting to get through the even without any bumps, especially in a full field, the combo encourages lots of "action" - some of which is good and some is bad. You have to accept that atleast 1/4 of your races will end in tears through no fault of your own - sometimes several races in a row. If you can get passed that you get some of the most intense action LFS has to offer in a short race event.

The problem is a very bad driver / wrecker can take out everybody in a full grid 2 or 3 times during an 8 lap race.

The other problem is a lot of drivers don't or havn't yet accepted that many of their races will end in tears.
I think I was in the same server also. I was learning the track online, but I got up to an acceptable speed quickly, but then I had an issue, I asked 1 driver for a setup politely, and he refused. That kind of annoys me, I know it's not compulsory to share a set, but in the spirit of better racing becuase my setups gearing was my only real disadvantage, it would have been more fun to share the setup becuase I knew my lines and all, just setup was my weakness.
south city classic /fox is a great combo if your good "not crashing."
Quote :I know it's not compulsory to share a set, but in the spirit of better racing

If it was me, I only turn down a driver who darn well doesnt deserve it! ie: One of the nearly-wreckers being talked about here asked for my set and I said no.

I can understand the reluctance though, I make my own sets and each set represents hundreds of laps of refinement during which i've not been as competetive, before a league race probably around 700 of them. In the case of SO-C most of last night (~500 laps) just to end up with relatively minor changes and i'm still not finished.

However I wouldn't be able to make a set if I didn't first have something to work from, so I usually blag a set when I start racing a new track, compare it to any others given and then start modifying it.

I think more drivers should learn the basics of making a set, because small changes can make a more driveable car for your own style - even if it's just wing and castor changes. More time can be found by adjusting the gearing to your own pace (how many people take a near WR set and then dont ever get to top revs?).

Lots of drivers in the longer league races have tyre trouble because they're using a hotlap set where the tyres dont last 50 laps - but a few small camber and pressure changes could solve the problem.

It isn't too hard to get "a set" when joining a new track, but I think everyone who wants to be reasonably competetive should then learn how to make the most of that set - rather than just drive with whatever they've been given and accept it's faults where the set doesn't match driving style.
Quote from K.David :Having multiple private servers (by admins wanting to host good races) with a single password published here on the forum might be a solution because I think only a fraction of licensed racers visit the forum which also kind of filters serious racers from wreckers. Sensible people not reading the forum could get the password from fellow racers via instant messenger programs or something.

Might not be the best idea, but something needs to be done because I am losing faith towards the game and I think I am not alone

The only problem I see with your first statement on posting a password here on the forum is.... The well known "Wrecking Team" frequents this forum! So, that wouldn't work.

It could be done by word of mouth through PM's though. If I set up a server with a password, I could PM those I know and trust to have good races. Then they could PM those that they trust to behave, etc. If done right, that could work. I know alot of fast racers who don't respect others on the track that I WOULDN'T send, alot of very fast racers who I respect and know would be responsible about it and respect the slow racers, and alot of slow and very slow racers who are respectable about their slowness and are a pleasure to have on the servers.

Or, the CRC IS STILL IN EXISTANCE. Due to lack of support from the community, it has strayed quite a bit from it's original intentions. If the community would embrace CRC again, then teams who have servers could join, password them with a CRC password, and we'd all be enjoying the racing we want to enjoy. I know I don't participate with CRC events and stuff, mainly because it's mostly UK guys and UK times, but I do log on often to the site to checkout who is applying there. Very very rarely do I see anyone that I recognize looking to join.

If the community would embrace CRC again, then I think this is what everyone who is discussing this issue is wanting.
Quote from Becky Rose :This isn't the blue flag debate. We're talking multiple crash per corner drivers some of whome have difficulty navigating a strait

yes but im pretty sure a yellow flag was waving if the guy crashed in the chicane no? if the guy loses it on the straight and you crash into him, you are kind of at fault too you know that right? its not just about gunning it round that city track and hoping everyone parts out of your way, you need to deal with backmarkers like any racing driver has to in a track as tight as that...
never seen a wrecher. They are driven to be hit the farthest by a car or to ban the most ppl.
-
Quote from mrodgers :The only problem I see with your first statement on posting a password here on the forum is.... The well known "Wrecking Team" frequents this forum! So, that wouldn't work.

It could be done by word of mouth through PM's though. If I set up a server with a password, I could PM those I know and trust to have good races. Then they could PM those that they trust to behave, etc. If done right, that could work. I know alot of fast racers who don't respect others on the track that I WOULDN'T send, alot of very fast racers who I respect and know would be responsible about it and respect the slow racers, and alot of slow and very slow racers who are respectable about their slowness and are a pleasure to have on the servers.

Or, the CRC IS STILL IN EXISTANCE. Due to lack of support from the community, it has strayed quite a bit from it's original intentions. If the community would embrace CRC again, then teams who have servers could join, password them with a CRC password, and we'd all be enjoying the racing we want to enjoy. I know I don't participate with CRC events and stuff, mainly because it's mostly UK guys and UK times, but I do log on often to the site to checkout who is applying there. Very very rarely do I see anyone that I recognize looking to join.

If the community would embrace CRC again, then I think this is what everyone who is discussing this issue is wanting.

I don't know what CRC is but I like it! A slight ray of hope... Please join hands and make it happen!
Quote from thisnameistaken :Naah! At SO1 last night I used an old "high nose" patch Q FE Gold set, where basically all I did was lower the front ride height and cross my fingers, and I set a new PB on my third lap, 42.4 something. Could probably go a bit quicker with a "proper" set but I didn't see anyone set a 41, so wasn't overly worried about it

Later that night I saw someone drive 41.6x IIRC

My PB is now at 42.09 - not too bad I think, considering I don't even have 100 laps on that combo.
-
And keep in mind that this is not the first time crc tried to better the lfs-experience. first time was maybe before my time but it went out of business because there was either no need or no interest in it anymore (or maybe a little bit of both?).

second time around it was during the new demo-days of s2 and i was actually part of it. but later, when we had s2 full, (actually the third time crc came into business, as the ppl running it changed) i really didn't feel like it was needed any longer. partly because i joined olfsl and _always_ found a good server to race on, because there were so many nice ppl practicing for the upcoming event. but also, wrecking didn't seem to be that much of an issue any more. so, like i said before: the new patch attracted a whole bunch of new racers, of which very few are wreckers or inconsiderate itdiots. but it will get better after a while, i'm pretty sure.

about setup-sharing: i agree that everybody _should_ learn more about making own setups. but personnaly i just can't. i'm just helpless, even though i read many guides. plus i don't have the time to get into it. so, i'm just soo thankful that most ppl do share setups when asked nicely. and don't forget inferno's setup site, of course. i used to get most of my setups there and was rarely disappointed.
Quote :if the guy loses it on the straight and you crash into him, you are kind of at fault too you know that right?

I think you need to see a replay - but I dont want to rubbish somebody publicly by posting a link. Would you like me to PM one of the half a dozen or so I saved ?

Quote :don't forget inferno's setup site, of course. i used to get most of my setups there and was rarely disappointed.

Quite a few of my own sets started as Inferno ones, I often use them to get a basic setup and work from there, but i've always found them orientated toward a hotlap. They dont look after the tyres and some can be quite unforgiving of small errors, so they aren't really an all in one solution, that said - they've a comprehensive list of car/track combinations and do give you something to work from.

What Constitutes a Wrecker?
(42 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG