The online racing simulator
Slow downs from time to time
(19 posts, started )
I'm getting some wired slow downs from time to time fully random. Just had one today on a demo server not that it has anything to do with it.

I drive then suddenly my game starts like stuttering and slowing down for half a lap until end. Now the driver who was leading did come almost to a full stop direct infront of me on the Blackwood straight so I guess he had the same thing.
Anybody else noticed anything like this? Think I had it 2 times since I bought the game or maybe 3 times but not more than that.

AMD 3500+ (cool n quiet enabled)
1Gb memory
Asus SLI a8n
Asus 6600GT
Also the FPS is very jumpy. I can stand on the brake and observe it how it jumps from 111 do 143 the whole time. Not that it has any noticeable effect its just wired if you car isnt moving and nothing is moving around and it still has this big kind of jumps eh?
I'd hazard a guess its the 2 game loops, and it somehow sync's up with one of the main loops (LFS runs 1 main physics loop, and a smaller internal one). Of course, theres no way to prove this without some kind of debugging version of LFS.
i run lfs at 1152x864 6xFSAA 4xAniso 85fps (locked so sync with screen), and i had a slowdown to about 2fps for 10 seconds twice...

other than that, everytime i enter a server, half a minute later, the game locks for about half a second and it never happens again during that session (until i enter another server)

it didn't happen in pre-S-T-U patches
Quote from Sawyer :I'm getting some wired slow downs from time to time fully random. Just had one today on a demo server not that it has anything to do with it.

I drive then suddenly my game starts like stuttering and slowing down for half a lap until end. Now the driver who was leading did come almost to a full stop direct infront of me on the Blackwood straight so I guess he had the same thing.
Anybody else noticed anything like this? Think I had it 2 times since I bought the game or maybe 3 times but not more than that.

AMD 3500+ (cool n quiet enabled)
1Gb memory
Asus SLI a8n
Asus 6600GT

Hi,
please try 1st to disable that cool&quiet feature.

Do you have anything overclocked in your system...GPU or CPU?
Whats your CPU and GPU temps during playing.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Hi,
please try 1st to disable that cool&quiet feature.

Do you have anything overclocked in your system...GPU or CPU?
Whats your CPU and GPU temps during playing.

nothing clocked. Sooner underclocked .
Had no time to test today so will do tomorrow. So I take it that big fps jumps from 114 to 140 when standing still arent normal?
Ok just done a quick test and yeah its cool n quiet doing this fps jumps.
Stupid AMD they cant do anything right. In Nascar when I have this enabled I get like triple game speed and laggy menu. In LFS I didnt notice anything apart from this and since the effect wasnt so dramatic I didnt connect it to it.
Its time to move to Conroe
Quote from Sawyer :Ok just done a quick test and yeah its cool n quiet doing this fps jumps.
Stupid AMD they cant do anything right. In Nascar when I have this enabled I get like triple game speed and laggy menu. In LFS I didnt notice anything apart from this and since the effect wasnt so dramatic I didnt connect it to it.
Its time to move to Conroe

Hi,
I am glad it helped however you cant blame AMD for this function.

Its clearly written that this function lower CPU speed and voltage.So when LFS use less CPU Cool&quite underclock the CPU so thats why you have that FPS drop.There is no place to blame AMD for that.Is it well know that this is highly recomended to turn it off while gaming.
There were made already benchmarks showing less perfomance with Cool&quiet.

I am using it usually the days I am just browsing webpages .
I have Cool&Quiet on all the time and never had a problem with it. Almost got the same system as you, just that I have a A64 3200+.
Quote from AndroidXP :I have Cool&Quiet on all the time and never had a problem with it. Almost got the same system as you, just that I have a A64 3200+.

Cool and Quiet can be set as ON or OFF in bios but it will work only if you have installed the driver in windows for this and use some saving mode.

He might have it installed and you dont.Are you sure you have installed drivers for Cool and Quiet?
Yes, I'm 100% sure.
Quote from AndroidXP :Yes, I'm 100% sure.

Maybe outdated Cool&quiet driver.
You know...with PC it might always hundreds of things
Yes, his driver may be outdated. I know 100% my C&Q works correctly as I've seen the CPU speed decreasing both in the C&Q tool and in third party tools. Also my fan speed regulates down to about 800 rpm and that only works with a downstepped CPU.
Also try turning on "Use Compressed Skin's"

This can cause jumps and slow downs on any machine......
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Cool and Quiet can be set as ON or OFF in bios but it will work only if you have installed the driver in windows for this and use some saving mode.

He might have it installed and you dont.Are you sure you have installed drivers for Cool and Quiet?

well its supposed to work automatically. To work with full speed on full load and only with less when the cpu doesnt reach 100%
I have this because my computer is always on and I used the drivers from the AMD page not the asus.
Quote from Sawyer :well its supposed to work automatically. To work with full speed on full load and only with less when the cpu doesnt reach 100%
I have this because my computer is always on and I used the drivers from the AMD page not the asus.

Also AMD make the updates to that drivers from time to time.
Hard to say whats the issue it doesnt work at you correctly but I am glad we found the issue which cause your FPS drop.

Might be a issue also for other guys who are not aware of this.
Well its now 1 year since the last post here and now I'm running Vista and getting the same wired jumps again. Only this time it can not be the coolnq thingy and cpu is in full power mode.

Vista isnt good for gaming I tell you
:hihi: windows vista
Same problem but on windows xp, and i got an AMD Turion 64.

And I got about a gig of memory too...

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG