The online racing simulator
No idea - Is this any good?
(10 posts, started )
Hello guys!

I have completely no idea when it comes to computers, but a friend suggested the following:

Options applied to the above product:
- No Webcam Option (Zero Cost)
- No Headset Option (Zero Cost)
- Speakers Not Selected
- Monitor Not Selected
- Mouse Not Selected
- Keyboard Not Selected
- Full Cable Management
- Networking Not Selected
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit - OEM (GFC-00599)
- OCZ ZS Series 650W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply
- Onboard Sound Card (ZERO COST)
- OcUK 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM
- No RAID Option (ZERO Cost)
- No Second Hard Drive Option (ZERO Cost)
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache - OEM (ST31000524AS)
- Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card with FREE DIRT3 Game
- OCZ Gold 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Low-Voltage Dual Channel Kit (OCZ3G1333LV4GK)
- Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 (AM3) Motherboard - Retail
- No Upgrade - AMD Stock Cooler (None overclocked systems)
- AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 850 "95W Edition" 3.30GHz (Socket AM3) - Retail
- Cooler Master Elite 335 Case - Black

I can get this for £530.

Is this setup good enough? What sort of FPS would i look to be achieving?

Many Thanks

Ash
Quote from RacerAsh3 :- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit - OEM (GFC-00599)
- OCZ ZS Series 650W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply
- OcUK 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache - OEM (ST31000524AS)
- Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card with FREE DIRT3 Game
- OCZ Gold 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Low-Voltage Dual Channel Kit (OCZ3G1333LV4GK)
- Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 (AM3) Motherboard - Retail
- AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 850 "95W Edition" 3.30GHz (Socket AM3) - Retail
- Cooler Master Elite 335 Case - Black

I can get this for £530.

Removed all the useless crap that's ZERO COST to make your list more readable.

No, 530 GBP ($870) is too much for this kind of system. In fact, it should cost somewhere like (and this is with better mobo, better CPU, better HDD and better PSU (despite being 50W lower)):

Also, not sure why you'd want a optical drive in year 2011. It's like using floppies.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Also, not sure why you'd want a optical drive in year 2011. It's like using floppies.

For watching DVDs, installing old games, also retail games are often cheaper than they are on Steam. We're not ready to wave good bye to the optical drive yet, sadly. I still use my DVD drive about once or twice a week. Also they're stupid cheap, no reason not to buy one.
Quote from DarkTimes :For watching DVDs, installing old games, also retail games are often cheaper than they are on Steam. We're not ready to wave good bye to the optical drive yet, sadly. I still use my DVD drive about once or twice a week.

Also they're stupid cheap, no reason not to buy one.

Not to mention burning disks is still a handy thing to be able to do.

As for games, I would much rather buy a modern game on disk than download it. Who wants to wait for 10+Gb of game to download when you can just go buy a box containing it and take it home in a fraction of the time?
Quote from thisnameistaken :Not to mention burning disks is still a handy thing to be able to do.

As for games, I would much rather buy a modern game on disk than download it. Who wants to wait for 10+Gb of game to download when you can just go buy a box containing it and take it home in a fraction of the time?

Well I prefer to buy my games on Steam, as then I don't need to worry about keeping the disk, I can download it whenever I like. Steam is definitely my preferred way to buy games. Only problem is that unless the game is on sale, it's usually prohibitively expensive to do this. For instance I just bought Mass Effect 2 for £7.99 on Amazon. On Steam it's £19.99. Even though Steam is better, that's just too much of a saving to ignore. I definitely have not moved beyond the optical, no matter how much I'd like to have.
Quote from DarkTimes :For watching DVDs, installing old games, also retail games are often cheaper than they are on Steam. We're not ready to wave good bye to the optical drive yet, sadly. I still use my DVD drive about once or twice a week. Also they're stupid cheap, no reason not to buy one.

DVD's - get a backup copy off somewhere (it's legal if you have the DVD, unless you're also seeding it), old games - backups actually work better than legit copies, cause old protection systems don't work well with modern OS'es (StarForce 4, early SuckuROM's etc).
Quote from DarkTimes :As for games, I would much rather buy a modern game on disk than download it. Who wants to wait for 10+Gb of game to download when you can just go buy a box containing it and take it home in a fraction of the time?

It takes faster for fully patched 10+GB game to download from Steam than it takes it to install game from the DVD's, download patches (1-4GB, usually with speeds like 50 KB/s (for example, CoD WAV official mirror), install them ("Unpacking *.msi" that's taking literally ages, lol), find out you need to install GfW or stuff like that, find it, download it, install it, etc..
Steam does it all for you. Plus, with proper internets, 10 GB takes less than hour to download. Getting to nearest game store may take longer for a lot of people, especially ones who don't own a car.
Quote from DarkTimes :For instance I just bought Mass Effect 2 for £7.99 on Amazon.

I bought that on a whim for a tenner the other week, it's the most tedious game I've played in years and reminded me why I never buy games any more. I don't even think it qualifies as a game, it's mostly over-long corny action movie -style dialogue. Hours and hours of it. Punctuated by rather routine combat sequences that feel almost turn-based they are so poorly paced. Proper rubbish.

Sorry.
Quote from RacerAsh3 :

Is this setup good enough? What sort of FPS would i look to be achieving?

Many Thanks

Ash

Hi,

I have a setup like this (only a asus mb and a HD6870) and the FPS are very good.

On LFS i run fixed 100FPS but when i set it unlimited its over 250FPS and starting to look bad. ( i think LFS cant handle it).

On iRacing i run between 80 and 140 FPS (depend of the track) with 5760x1080 (3x 1920x1080)

I think the price is a bit high for that setup, maybe you can find the same stuff cheaper somewhere else.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I bought that on a whim for a tenner the other week, it's the most tedious game I've played in years and reminded me why I never buy games any more. I don't even think it qualifies as a game, it's mostly over-long corny action movie -style dialogue. Hours and hours of it. Punctuated by rather routine combat sequences that feel almost turn-based they are so poorly paced. Proper rubbish.

Sorry.

Well, that's fair enough, but I have just completed the first one and really enjoyed it, so I'm not too worried.
Awesome cheers guys for the replys

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG