The online racing simulator
Hard Freezes and Not Responding Since S
Every since installing the first of the new patches, and including all of the ones i've updated (U now) LFS locks up a lot if it has more than one or two processes, such as the race restarting and me hitting go to pits or somthin, it locks up solid as in no ctrl alt delete, just restart the computer...then on other occasions the game crashes to desktop randomly, no signifcant consistancy in when it does it other than it seemed to happen on SO classic the most...
Did you install full version or keep patching up from version to version?

Try installing full.
full install
#4 - GerG
DodgeRacer: Turn off Automatic restart in Windows, so you (we) can examine the blue screen of death and see what causes the problem. (just in case: Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup & Recovery Settings -> uncheck the Automatically Restart checkbox)
Okay I've done this, although its not actually automaticly restarting, its freezing to the point where there windows/explorer is no longer accessable. But if i see a BSCOD i'll report my findings
happened again....no real info though although it seems to be doing this rather than freezing more often than not now.
Attached images
lfscrash.JPG
That crash address leads to the "UpdateSounds" function. I can't see why it would go wrong there, seeing as hundreds of people's computers go in that function, thousands of times a day. Can you see any pattern to the crash, anything that happens around that time or are you just driving along and suddenly you get a crash?

It's a bit strange, and leads me to suspect your computer, rather than LFS. Is your PC overclocked, or overheating, or do you have faulty memory? Someone's computer recently, always crashed in the DrawSkids function and it turned out to be his computer, not a LFS bug at all.

See if you can get another crash address report, like the one you got there, and we'll see if it's the same crash address again.

I hope your PC isn't overclocked because if it is, I'm wasting my time. Overclocking usually causes problems in LFS and that's why overclocking isn't recommended.
No, computer is not overclocked, It runs a constant 32` and maybe peaks at 33.5 when running LFS, I turned down my graphics settings, reinstaled my video drivers (along with disabling AA and AF prior to the last crash).

The crash like above happens quite randomly, only consistancy I can place is the fact it happened while in T1 of SOC twice, and comming off a turn on AS, so perhaps i could be spinning the tires in the section.

As to the computer, i ran Nascar 2003 and a very intensive editing program at full load for many hours today, and never had it lock up or do any strange activities.

I'll keep an eye on it, if it does this again I will post the report for you.

Thanks for the help
I kept getting random lockups, or what seemed random anyways and after about 30-45 seconds my PC would return back to normal. Installing different graphics drivers solved it, and all seems fine now, might be worth a shot.
My copy of lfs version U is showing the same behavior. I haven't tried new gfx drivers yet b/c version S/T ran perfectly under my same setup. Unless windows has taken a crap nothing has changed. Was just wondering if this was still an issue for some.

I shuold probably just reinstall lfs full before I start asking stupid questions : )
I'll try that tonight.
Problem is it's so random it could lock 5mins into game or 3 1/2 hours; like today.

crxPimp
-
(crxPimp) DELETED by crxPimp
Welp, new full install and it locked on me again last night. Here's what happens.

Driving around and game just stops; sound keeps producing the last thing it did before lock (ie: engine is just reving) I can hear msg beeps but can't see them of course. I managed to shift-f4 but nothing beyond that was responsive, no bsod, no fatal exception, no error log in the event viewer, natta. Had to pull the cord again.

Running XP Pro formatted 3 months ago
Current nvid drivers, sbaudigy, dx, mobo, etc ... Infact, that machine (using my bitch right now) was purely built for lfs. It runs nothing but mozilla, lfs and a few other games, which work fine.

I'm at a loss at this point. I'm not looking to point fingers at the prog (I know it could still be my machine/os) it's just killing me that since U it locks. Nearly afraid to race my event this weekend cause I know it'll happen on the last lap :/ ..

Any input whatsoever, anybody.

Pimp

edit: removed ramble, updated symptoms...
Quote from crxPimp :Welp, new full install and it locked on me again last night. Here's what happens.

Driving around and game just stops; sound keeps producing the last thing it did before lock (ie: engine is just reving) I can hear msg beeps but can't see them of course. I managed to shift-f4 but nothing beyond that was responsive, no bsod, no fatal exception, no error log in the event viewer, natta. Had to pull the cord again.

Running XP Pro formatted 3 months ago
Current nvid drivers, sbaudigy, dx, mobo, etc ... Infact, that machine (using my bitch right now) was purely built for lfs. It runs nothing but mozilla, lfs and a few other games, which work fine.

I'm at a loss at this point. I'm not looking to point fingers at the prog (I know it could still be my machine/os) it's just killing me that since U it locks. Nearly afraid to race my event this weekend cause I know it'll happen on the last lap :/ ..

Any input whatsoever, anybody.

Pimp

edit: removed ramble, updated symptoms...

I would try to uninstall Soundcard drivers(creative has the worst driver support I ever saw ) and install a bit older one.

Then I would try as last option to format the windows partion(if you running on seperate one) and install windows again.
Thanks for the ideas Devil007. I have the same sound card in this machine and lfs ran fine, I even put ver U back on this machine to test and it locks too. So unless the sound card drivers conflict w/ lfs' newer versions it's never been a problem before ... and with that can't imagine it's OS. If two machines show same results and the 1 actual gaming machine has a month old xp on it; and quite litteraly nothing but lfs/firefox and a few games. I'll keep plugging away at it.

Anybody that has this problem still looking for answers checkout "game freezes" post on first page as of 5/26/06 ... Discusses 1024 skins being the problem and that 512x512 has fixed it for now. Seems to get more attention as this post is burried a few back. There's gotta be a variable though. Not everyone running 1024 is locking; I'd imagine.
Quote from crxPimp :Thanks for the ideas Devil007. I have the same sound card in this machine and lfs ran fine, I even put ver U back on this machine to test and it locks too. So unless the sound card drivers conflict w/ lfs' newer versions it's never been a problem before ... and with that can't imagine it's OS. If two machines show same results and the 1 actual gaming machine has a month old xp on it; and quite litteraly nothing but lfs/firefox and a few games. I'll keep plugging away at it.

Anybody that has this problem still looking for answers checkout "game freezes" post on first page as of 5/26/06 ... Discusses 1024 skins being the problem and that 512x512 has fixed it for now. Seems to get more attention as this post is burried a few back. There's gotta be a variable though. Not everyone running 1024 is locking; I'd imagine.

np:-)

Its strange.I can run with 1024 and even 2048 skins without any issues.There came some bug to LFS code with new patch or its related to something else.
I and several others are getting the same (or similar) crash. We posted in the Technical Assistance forum under the thread "game freezes"

DEVS, is there anything I can do on my computer that will log the crash or anything else that would help you pinpoint this? I know this is a tricky one to fix just going off descriptions, but I will sum up again:

The lock-up happens most often for me online. More than half the time it happens when I am in an accident or hit a kerb, so thats what made me first think it was sound-related. What will happen is the game freezes, and the last playing sound will loop. It stays locked for about 10-20 seconds, then i get dropped out of the server to some LFS screen (i dont remember which one) and I get a message about lost connection to host.

I can rejoin the server but it usually locks up again.

EDIT: I almost forgot, very rarely when I get the online crash, sometimes I dont get disconnected from the server. Sometimes it will just unlock itself, BUT, then a portion of my car graphics will be messed up. For example one time it locked up for 10 seconds, unlocked, but then my car had some grey polygons sticking out of it (viewable from inside and outside). That has happened two or three times, with the random grey polygons sticking out of a part of the car.
Now the weird part, and it may be the same lock up or a different one. When I am offline, I sometimes get a lockup (but it is more rare). In that case, it never unlocks, and I get a bluescreen. The bluescreen talks about the file nv4disp.sys (i think). Now, I have gotten this same lockup and crash in Oblivion (and someone else reported that they also get this lockup in both games).

My system is not overlocked or anything like that and works flawlessly in all other games and apps.

Athlon X2 3800
ASUS A8NE (Nforce4 Ultra chipset)
2 gig ram dual channel
EVGA 7800GT (i tried a bunch of AA and AF settings, and turned off write combining - none of these changes helped)
Creative X-Fi xtrememusic

DEVS please let me know how else I can help, I really want to get this resolved!
What GFX card drivers do you have installed?
I know this sounds odd, but it worked for me. Try changing in the Bios from 8x AGP to 4x AGP. When I set 8x, for some obscure reason LFS, just hangs, frezzes, then is OK, then could lock again, then could work all night.

Its really bizare. I have done hardware tests, and all hardware is perfect. I have run memtest several times, replaced 2 drives, tried shed loads of different drivers, and they all do the same thing.

So just thought I would suggest this.
Quote from drinklime :I and several others are getting the same (or similar) crash. We posted in the Technical Assistance forum under the thread "game freezes"

DEVS, is there anything I can do on my computer that will log the crash or anything else that would help you pinpoint this? I know this is a tricky one to fix just going off descriptions, but I will sum up again:

The lock-up happens most often for me online. More than half the time it happens when I am in an accident or hit a kerb, so thats what made me first think it was sound-related. What will happen is the game freezes, and the last playing sound will loop. It stays locked for about 10-20 seconds, then i get dropped out of the server to some LFS screen (i dont remember which one) and I get a message about lost connection to host.

I can rejoin the server but it usually locks up again.

EDIT: I almost forgot, very rarely when I get the online crash, sometimes I dont get disconnected from the server. Sometimes it will just unlock itself, BUT, then a portion of my car graphics will be messed up. For example one time it locked up for 10 seconds, unlocked, but then my car had some grey polygons sticking out of it (viewable from inside and outside). That has happened two or three times, with the random grey polygons sticking out of a part of the car.
Now the weird part, and it may be the same lock up or a different one. When I am offline, I sometimes get a lockup (but it is more rare). In that case, it never unlocks, and I get a bluescreen. The bluescreen talks about the file nv4disp.sys (i think). Now, I have gotten this same lockup and crash in Oblivion (and someone else reported that they also get this lockup in both games).

My system is not overlocked or anything like that and works flawlessly in all other games and apps.

Athlon X2 3800
ASUS A8NE (Nforce4 Ultra chipset)
2 gig ram dual channel
EVGA 7800GT (i tried a bunch of AA and AF settings, and turned off write combining - none of these changes helped)
Creative X-Fi xtrememusic

DEVS please let me know how else I can help, I really want to get this resolved!

Could you try to remove the Creative Soundcard and uninstall the driver?
Or 1st before making sucha job trying to install latest Creative sound drivers?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG