The online racing simulator
Ram Disk - Some forgotten application ?
Hi,
with lowest ever prices for ram modules I tested a little with ram disk and I´m impressed.

Think of a 16 gb ram set for under a 100 Euro, dedicating a 10 gb for a virtual hard drive and it´s possibilities.

LFS is flying here, so is the Office package. 70 FPS recordings full speed.

Info´s I found so far:

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/arc ... est-read-and-write-speed/

http://www.techrepublic.com/bl ... tensive-applications/3430

http://memory.dataram.com/prod ... /ramdisk#download-ramdisk

Anyone using it ? What´s the best ram disk prg.?
#2 - amp88
SuperSpeed RamDisk (desktop) works pretty well. Incidentally, if you're still using a 32-bit system you can use the 'extra' RAM as the Ram Disk (e.g. 8GB installed, 3.25GB available to Windows 32-bit -> remaining ~4.5 to Ram Disk).

Attached a couple of screenshots (the RAM in this system is nothing special, but obviously even lacklustre RAM is still several orders of magnitude better than hard drives).
Attached images
hdtune.PNG
need for speed 2.PNG
Thanks amp.
I´m using the trial RAMDisk(R) Version 3.5.130 here, ram speed arround 1500Mhz. To the left my C: drive, to the right Ram Disk, but max. size of the virtual drive is restricted to 4 GB in trail.
I check out ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver Version 1.4.2 when I have received more ram.
Attached images
ram drive.jpg
Thanks but I have a Intel SSD drive for over two years now..

80 Gb is around 130 Euros nowadays and I think it's a better investment then creating a RAM drive every time you boot.. Copy all files to it etc.

I have my OS and heavy apps as primary drive. Superb.
-
(E.Reiljans) DELETED by E.Reiljans
your Intel's SSD is nowhere near any RAM disk, tho.
Quote from E.Reiljans :your Intel's SSD is nowhere near any RAM disk, tho.

at least an SSD will retain data if the power goes out, or the system reboots.
Quote from cargame.nl :..better investment then creating a RAM drive every time you boot.. Copy all files to it etc..

There´s an option where it saves an image of the drive. I installed ram disk once and added the files/prg. I want to have there. All files/prg.´s remain on this ram drive on a PC boot.

@bunder: You can just enable the auto-save feature.
Attached images
dfgdfg.jpg
Quote from bunder9999 :at least an SSD will retain data if the power goes out, or the system reboots.

so does any system with UPS - an UPS makes PC shutdown properly, and alot of RAMdisk apps have options to save RAMdisk's contents to HDD on shutdown. :3
Quote from E.Reiljans :your Intel's SSD is nowhere near any RAM disk, tho.

I don't think the extra speed of a RAM disk above a SSD has that much effect time wise then when you are going from a HDD to a SSD. Also because you cannot put an OS on a RAM disk.

If you have to spend 100 Euro's then I still say upgrading from HDD to SSD is more cost effective then buying extra RAM and creating a RAMdisk everytime the system boots. Copy 4 Gigabytes of data, and writing it back at shutdown and also backing those Gigabytes every X minutes up to HDD to prevent data loss due to blue screen/crashes/whatever.

Quote from E.Reiljans :so does any system with UPS - an UPS makes PC shutdown properly, and alot of RAMdisk apps have options to save RAMdisk's contents to HDD on shutdown. :3

They call such things laptops, roflol.

Install an UPS for a computer just for a RAM disk, lol. You are funny.
Quote from cargame.nl :Also because you cannot put an OS on a RAM disk.

wat
Quote from cargame.nl :Install an UPS for a computer just for a RAM disk, lol. You are funny.

There are thousands of other advantages of having an UPS.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG