The online racing simulator
Just can't keep quiet..
(133 posts, started )
You guys make it sound so easy. iRacing oval it is more like:

Hold it to the right down the straight
Turn slightly left on entry
Keep it left
Now get into the throttle and straighten the wheel out in the center of the corner
Now drive it on the RR tire
Twitch right
Back straight
Twitch right
Little to the left
Twitch right
Now straighten up the wheel and put the wheel back to the right slightly.

Just like real life... or not.
Well what I don't understand is iRacing's politics. I got banned from chat lately for abusing a dude who completely ran me off the track. They usually penalise people who break others' hearts through the internet, rather than banning wreckers...
This thread and the whole subject of cost of product, small LFS/NKP vs huge iRacing reminds me of this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc The whole thing really but a big highlight of 8:58-9:40

Passion always breeds better results than money.
Wasn't iRacing based off of Papyrus' Nascar 2003 Season engine to start off with? I've been hearing rumours about it being so ever since it was announced.
Quote from Zipppy :Wasn't iRacing based off of Papyrus' Nascar 2003 Season engine to start off with? I've been hearing rumours about it being so ever since it was announced.

I was under this impression.
saša bljad, +1
jumping on the bandwagon
'cause i can.
Quote from Zipppy :Wasn't iRacing based off of Papyrus' Nascar 2003 Season engine to start off with? I've been hearing rumours about it being so ever since it was announced.

Yes. Although they said they had to rewrite the entire engine however because things didn't work out as they thought. NR2003 had better overall working tires, most would agree.

Quote from Fuse5 :saša bljad, +1
jumping on the bandwagon
'cause i can.

Lets do this!
Quote from SAxor :This thread and the whole subject of cost of product, small LFS/NKP vs huge iRacing reminds me of this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc The whole thing really but a big highlight of 8:58-9:40

Passion always breeds better results than money.

OMG that vid is awesome.
Quote from jasonmatthews :Like BBT said, it is a big opportunity for Scawen and LFS.

personally, i disagree, the boat sailed when GT5 got delayed repeatedly and then was finally released. as much as i prefer PC-based simracing, LFS could have picked up a lot of players last summer.

but it's funny to hear that iracing took a step backwards though. i've tried it a couple times and didn't like it. it doesn't look right, it doesn't feel right. rfactor was the same way with me. and even though lfs' graphics engine is from roughly the same time, it looks so much better imo. playing rfactor or iracing make me feel like i'm playing a 15 year old game.
Quote from bunder9999 :personally, i disagree, the boat sailed when GT5 got delayed repeatedly and then was finally released. as much as i prefer PC-based simracing, LFS could have picked up a lot of players last summer.

GT5 doesn't exactly get to be in the same category, no offense. That led to Forza being able to grab more people, not a sim community.
Quote from PMD9409 :GT5 doesn't exactly get to be in the same category, no offense. That led to Forza being able to grab more people, not a sim community.

Also it's a whole different platform which might furtherly seperate the two.
Quote from Mertol Shahin :You guys should reconsider your priorities. Tournaments, live timing boards, depth of field are all irrelevant when you have a million bugs and NTM not working.

Quote from Tony Gardner :Sorry you feel we have a million bugs and Tire model not working but that is not our opinion of the situation. <snip>

Good racing

Tony

They are in denial.

I don't mind the cost, I love the structure and the level of competition. The tracks are superb.

...but they are serving up shit and claiming it's prime steak. The new cars feel worse than any of the old ones, and the FFB on the new road cars is like a bad rFactor mod.

iRacing isn't evolving, it's regressing. I have 3 months to go and that's the last money they are getting out of me for a while.

They really need to start delivering, and soon.

Just imagine what Scavier or Kunos could have produced with John Henrys $20,000,000....
Quote from The Moose :They are in denial.

I don't mind the cost, I love the structure and the level of competition. The tracks are superb.

...but they are serving up shit and claiming it's prime steak. The new cars feel worse than any of the old ones, and the FFB on the new road cars is like a bad rFactor mod.

iRacing isn't evolving, it's regressing. I have 3 months to go and that's the last money they are getting out of me for a while.

Just imagine what Scavier or Kunos could have produced with John Henrys $20,000,000....

Stuff like that is why I look forward to the rF2 release. It's sad to say I know, but they will actually have some interesting stuff, and since it's only a one-time payment, it won't hurt my pocket no where near as bad as iRacing has.

Scawen, say "Hello" please?
Quote from PMD9409 :Stuff like that is why I look forward to the rF2 release. It's sad to say I know, but they will actually have some interesting stuff, and since it's only a one-time payment, it won't hurt my pocket no where near as bad as iRacing has.

+1 to some of this. I'm looking forward to some aspects of RF2, but it's hard to be impressed with tire lockups, load distribution and things that LFS has had for ~6 years as something "new". Also, if RF2 is anything like RF1 (a glorified physics calculator that works on notepad files) it will be kinda disappointing.

TBH, I'd just like to be able to try that WSGT 2 mod that has some promising cars/interiors/tracks..
Quote from The Moose :They are in denial.

Spot on.

But they're not serving up shit and claiming it's prime steak. More like serving up shit, claiming it's prime steak, and then half way through the meal "remembering to tell you" that it's not AAA beef actually: "we couldn't get it delivered in time, and our master chef had the day off and the new guy dropped in on the floor by accident... but it's still good right?"

Like you said I really like everything else about the sim except I'm getting frustrated with.... the SIM PART :doh:.

Tried the Skip last night finally after being disillusioned by the FGT. I will admit that the Skip does feel better and drive like a normal one should now, so the NTM does have a lot of things right JUST in terms of how it reacts to the car, and I found the FFB on that car very good - ironically it feels a lot like LFS. So as others have said this is not a step backwards (at least in terms of driving feel; temperatures etc notwithstanding) but not nearly a "revolution".

I ran LFS for a while last night, and I really got into the XRR, didn't want to put my wheel away just hot-lapping alone at SO LONG. For some reason LFS cockpits also just looks better in 3D (in tin tops) , it's something to do with the being locked into position in the iRacing vehicles... I really hate that in iRacing.
LFS development is dead anyway.
BBT, try to change DriverHeadHorizon in app.ini file in iRacing to disable the "locked into position" effect.

On the subject, maybe iRacing did not deliver properly with NTM but it still is a lot better place to race than LFS. You guys can say that iRacing is making a step backward (which I dont agree with) but what LFS is doing? LFS is standing still which in terms of marketing and/or competing with other sims is stepping backwards. In that case I prefer iRacing way of stepping backwards. Two new cars with not so good tires don't erase all the other content so its nothing like a step backwards.

I wanted to find today one good populated server in LFS with something else than demo content but I couldn't. What LFS got to offer ? If devs don't release a revolutionary patch soon the place will be abandoned.
Thanks himself I will give that a try. It's not what I am after but it might help a bit. I just hate that they don't let you move your view within reasonable amounts within the cockpit. LFS does that on all axes of course and also lets you change the gforce effect on the view. Small feature, big impact.
Has anyone tried the DrivingVanishY parameter? Which way moves the view "up"? In LFS I like to make it so I can just see what I need to see in the cars and the rest is all the track. Thanks.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Has anyone tried the DrivingVanishY parameter? Which way moves the view "up"? In LFS I like to make it so I can just see what I need to see in the cars and the rest is all the track. Thanks.

i'll take a wild guess and assume that negative (or lower) numbers mean the viewpoint goes up. you might want to consider changing your fov though.
Hopefully RF2 will satisfy us for the next couple of years until we see S3.

I myself hopes that RF2 will be expensive as hell, 200 dollars or more fine by me! And own ranking servers and so on so we get it all from one place.

Scawen, would glady throw 100's of dollars your way too. But you just don't care about money. Well, I figure you need more money before you get to your retirement, maybe then you will connect the dots for all of us!

Just can't keep quiet..
(133 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG