The online racing simulator
Help me choose a netbook
(11 posts, started )
#1 - PoVo
Help me choose a netbook
Hey!

I plan on getting a netbook at the end of August.

I've chosen 2 models which I want, but can't decide which one I want.

1st Netbook - Acer Aspire One 522
- Dual Core - AMD C-Series processor C-50 (1 MB L2 cache, 1 GHz, DDR3 1066 MHz, 9 W)
- Dedicated GPU - ATI Radeon™ HD 6250 Graphics with 256 MB of dedicated system memory
- VGA port up to 1920 x 1200: 60 Hz
- HDMI™ port up to 1920 x 1080: 60 Hz
- 250 GB HDD
- 1GB RAM
PRICE: €249

2nd Netbook - Acer Aspire One D255
- 1.5GHz Intel Atom N550 dual-core processor
- Intel GMA 3150 graphics
- VGA port up to 1920 x 1200: 60 Hz
- 250 GB HDD
- 1GB RAM
PRICE: €289

Which one should I take? I'm slanted more to the 1st one as it's much cheaper and at the same time has a dedicated graphics chip with HDMI, so it might actually run LFS properly. Whereas the 2nd one has an integrated graphics chip BUT has a 1.5ghz dual core processor.
Dump the idea of playing LFS and better get the second one. In this region of CPU power, every bit counts. And I know that from owning an 901 eeePC, which is for me the absolute minimun in performance that is acceptable even when surfing.
#3 - PoVo
After watching some YouTube videos with the processor comparison when playing a 720p movie, the 1st netbook plays it fine, the 2nd netbook lags a bit.

I suspect the issue could be that the 1st netbook has a 1280 x 720 resolution where as the D255 has a 1024 x 600 resolution, and the video needs to be down-scaled for the smaller resolution...

But after finding out that the 1st netbook has a 720p resolution, I think I cannot say no to it.

It's much cheaper and seems to have better specs IMO.

Thanks for the help
The first one is by far the better choice.
the first but i would upgrade the ram as it looks like the graphics uses 256mb of the ram, so you would be left with only ~750mb
I'd get the first one, but they both are less computer than what I'd like to play with.
Why not get a small laptop instead with a proper cpu? Those Atoms are not even a match for a Pentium 4 from 2004 and Win7 runs crap on P4 lol...
Quote from Foilpact :Why not get a small laptop instead with a proper cpu? Those Atoms are not even a match for a Pentium 4 from 2004 and Win7 runs crap on P4 lol...

u know that stuff has gotten better yes?
a 1 ghz cpu from today is faster than a 2 ghz cpu from like 8 years back.
#9 - Jakg
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :u know that stuff has gotten better yes?

Yes - but the Atom is not a fast modern architecture.

EDIT - Not saying the Atom is terrible, it's a brilliant CPU considering the cost & applications...
well that was just a note.
u still cant compare a machine from way back then to today...faster hdds, faster memory ect.
overall it will have a better performance.
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :u know that stuff has gotten better yes?

According to cpubenchmark, The n550 Atom is only slightly better than an average P4 and miles behind a Pentium D...

Again, Win7 is terrible on that grade of cpu and even worse with only 1GB ram.

Help me choose a netbook
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG