The online racing simulator
FOX set up advice! - gears
(5 posts, started )
Hi,
I have got the back end nice and grippy and not so tail happy as it was when i first adopted the default set up. So i have the grip, But i am finding that i get overtaken because not in the corners as i can keep it there but on the straits. So i want to know roughly a good set up also dose left give more or less rmp? or right?
Thanks,

Liam
http://www.setupgrid.net/help
theres a setup guide here that can help you with gear ratios and explaining them. Gears are the easiest thing on the set.
#3 - J@tko
If you check the car setup screen it'll tell you where max power is on the rev range, and IIRC it's right at the top of the rev range on the FOX, so you want to be almost on the red line at the fastest part of the track
It's also possible that you are overtaken on the straits because you have more wing/spoilers than your competitors, and therefor more drag which reduces your top speed. In the setup screen, to the far right under "Downforce", you can see some numbers for lift (L) and drag (D) under whatever speed you set the slider to. You will also notice that lift and drag are not linear to the angle of the wings/spoilers, and there is a relationship between gained lift versus gained drag. With low spoiler angles, the amount of downforce gained compared to the amount of drag gained is very large (you get alot of downforce for little drag). But as the spoiler angles increases, you will gain less and less downforce compared to drag. So there is a point where you actually will be overall slower cause of slow top speed on the straits that you can not make up by going faster in the turns.
The trick is finding the best trade of between downforce and drag, as you'd want as much downforce possible in the turns, but as little drag possible on the straits.

You could always ask for setups by those overtaking you so you could have a look at their gear ratios and aerodynamics.
Speed on the straights is determined by your speed out of the preceeding corner.

Exceptions to this are if your gearing is WAY out (i.e. running on the rev limiter or only using half the possible revs), or if you are running stupid amounts of drag compared to everyone else.

The main problem is your cornering. You might be quick into and through the corner, but you're having to sacrifice corner exit speed to make you look good through the first part of the corner.

(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG