The online racing simulator
Mozilla Firefox
(35 posts, started )
Mozilla Firefox
Hi

I have been using Firefox happily for a few years now and all has been well. Yesterday though i went onto a website, a pop up window came up and all programs crashed and none of them worked. I ran a quick AVG scan and it found a couple of things and then did a Malwarebytes scan and that got rid of some things. Now though, firefox opens but it does not search on google or anything and does not load any web pages. Only stays on homepage. I am now using internet explorer. I have recently done another Malwarebytes scan and another AVG scan but they have found nothing.

Has anyone had the same problem as me and if so how did you fix it?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Shiv
Did you try to reinstall Firefox (latest version)?
#4 - dadge
Quote from Killer Beast :yeh i have

my first port of call would be google. you'll find there you will have more luck there than on a racing sim forum.
try this
does ie work? if it does, try uninstalling firefox, and make sure it deletes your profile, then reinstall it.
Quote from bunder9999 :does ie work? if it does, try uninstalling firefox, and make sure it deletes your profile, then reinstall it.

Yeh it works. I'm using Google Chrome at the moment and I have tried to uninstall and reinstall firefox
Quote from Killer Beast :Yeh it works. I'm using Google Chrome at the moment and I have tried to uninstall and reinstall firefox

Also the FF profile?
Quote from Killer Beast :How do you delete that and what is it?

sorry for the delay.

the profile is what contains all your settings and extensions. if you delete it, firefox goes back to what it was like when you first installed it, at least for your specific computer user.

it's usually stored in c:\docs and settings\you\application data\mozilla\.
Because it's a message, saying that although apparently Firefox is awesome I've come to the conclusion after using it for about a year on various versions (yes including the latest 4 blah blah) that it's crappy and slow and the only reason I haven't changed browsers is because I like the ducks on my theme.
Quote from bunder9999 :sorry for the delay.

the profile is what contains all your settings and extensions. if you delete it, firefox goes back to what it was like when you first installed it, at least for your specific computer user.

it's usually stored in c:\docs and settings\you\application data\mozilla\.

I dont seem to have the \application data\mozilla part

EDIT: Another user does and i've tried that but mozilla still stays stuck on homepage
Quote from Killer Beast :I dont seem to have the \application data\mozilla part

On NT 6.x (Vista/7):

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Mozilla
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla
Quote from E.Reiljans :On NT 6.x (Vista/7):

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Mozilla
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla

Im running Windows XP
Then do following:

1. enable display of hidden files and folders
2. upgrade your 10 years old OS as soon as possible.
There is nothing wrong with XP and unless you want to actually upgrade then there's no point buying Windows 7 just for the sake of it.

Enabling display of hidden files and folders should allow you to go to the directory bunder mentioned.
For educational purposes. And I only got Windows 7 (Enterprise) because I did some Microsoft certifications.
Technically it's for educational purposes only however they aren't exactly giong to arrest you if you use it at home. Also you have to be on certain courses, mainly those pertaining to IT and the MSCDA or whatever it's called, basically a Microsoft course.
I've tried enabling hidden files but there isnt the firefox folder
Whatever Shadowww you're banned from the forums anyway.

Quote from Killer Beast :I've tried enabling hidden files but there isnt the firefox folder

Probably because when you uninstalled Firefox it wiped this folder out.

Try downloading Firefox again, perhaps under a different user account and seeing if that works.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Probably because when you uninstalled Firefox it wiped this folder out.

Mr. IT, Firefox's uninstaller doesn't wipes out user profile.
Oh, I'm sorry? I put "probably" not "definately" and how am I to know exactly what files are removed by the uninstallers of every single program.

So in other words,

Quote from S14 DRIFT :how am I to know exactly what files are removed by the uninstallers of every single program.

No idea about closed-source programs, but with open-source programs such as Firefox it's fairly easy.
Also, sad to see Mr. IT not being able to embed image in a way that works.

Mozilla Firefox
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG