The online racing simulator
Stuttering when skin is applied
(8 posts, started )
This happens when im both spectating and racing.

When I join a server I normally wait for the skins to be downloaded before I start to avoid a crash or anything. But even when im racing, someone will join, little stutter, skin downloads and gets put on the car, big stutter then fine until the next person joins.

Quite fustrating when you braking from 7th to 2nd to take a bend and half way down the gear changes the game will stutter.

I have not OC'ed anything, I have tried on diffrent setting, tried with and without AA and AF and also closed any background tasks that are not needed.

I dont really want to turn off the auto skin downloading unless I have to.

Any tips?
#2 - GerG
What is your Upload and Download speed?
1 Meg connection

download speed: ~115 KB/s
Upload Speed: ~30 - 40 KB/s
#4 - Smax
I get lag on a 2mbps DSL connection when somebody joins a race of 10 cars or more and has quite a few skins to get.
I've also noticed choppy framerates at the same moment, which I've just attributed to lag, unless everyone turns off auto skin d/load neither of us will be any better off, since the problem occurs whenever someone joins.
#5 - GerG
@ 115K/sec 1 skin takes about 3 secs (maximum skin size is 400K (?) ), so that 'lag' is quite normal Don't know, maybe it would be a good idea to hardcode LFS to take only a maximum of 50K/sec to download a skin, that way this small lag could be avoided. Post it to improvement suggestions
I dont mean lag as in the other cars lagging, I mean Lag as in my game freezes for about 0.75 sec or so, enough to really put you off when your lining up a bend or side by side with someone.
I know this is a very old thread, but the problem it mentions is still here

This is not a bug actually, but an improvement suggestion imo. LFS should not scan the hard disk for a skin if a race is in progress. I don't mind to having the default skin displayed for a user until the race is over.

The appliment of the new skins should happen if a race is over or at restart, before the cars set to the grid not in the middle of the race.

This sluttering when a new player gets out of the garage always happens in a hard chicane, when down shifting and trying to get the proper line.

It isn't a matter of internet speed connection, cause it happens even if the skin is already in the skins_x folder. It's that seeking to the hard drive that causes the slutter.

I have my hard disk defragged etc and I think there's no meredy for it. Even if i had my skins folder to a raptor raid partition , seeking in a huge folder like the skins_x would always produce a slutter effect.

Disabling the auto skin download feature does not solve the problem either cause LFS still scans the skins_x folder to find if the skin is there.
#8 - robt
if you think its a problem, try using keys! throws the car off the track

(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG