The online racing simulator
It depends on the type of the FFB effect. Only constant force is supported by the Linux driver at the moment. LFS should work out of the box as long as FFB is enabled in the game and correct input device is selected. WINE might pick up gaming controllers twice, once as "/dev/input/jsX" which is a legacy joystick interface and again as "/dev/input/inputX". AFAIK the legacy joystick interface does not support force feedback so if you accidentally selected that interface in LFS it might be the reason why you're not getting any FFB.
Hello, I've just registered, and although I'm not using LFS, this thread pops up in google search for "force feedback g27 linux".

So, I'm running Euro Truck Simulator 2 (ETS2) and the force feedback is not present, and MadCatX explained why. fftest indeed does show "constant force" working, but none others. I am running Arch Linux.

The point of my post is to basically confirm that Force Feedback is not working on Logitech G27 steering wheel controller, at least not in Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Now I'll look into patching the kernel, as per previous posts.
I am trying to use Logitech Driving Force GT with Lubuntu 14.04 (3.13.0-43-generic). When plugged in, the wheel does its 900 degree dance, but then no longer moves more than 270 degrees. I tried to fix this using the method advertised in this thread, but it has no effect. What am I doing wrong?

$ echo 900 > /sys/module/hid_logitech/drivers/hid\:logitech/0003\:046D\:C294.0002/range
$ cat /sys/module/hid_logitech/drivers/hid\:logitech/0003\:046D\:C294.0002/range

dmesg:
[ 1.460867] usb 3-2: new full-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[ 1.501901] usb 3-2: New USB device found, idVendor=046d, idProduct=c294
[ 1.501906] usb 3-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 1.501908] usb 3-2: Product: Driving Force GT
[ 1.502035] usb 3-2: ep 0x81 - rounding interval to 64 microframes, ep desc says 80 microframes
[ 1.502037] usb 3-2: ep 0x1 - rounding interval to 64 microframes, ep desc says 80 microframes
[ 1.525309] input: Driving Force GT as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.0/0000:02:00.0/usb3/3-2/3-2:1.0/input/input4
[ 1.525373] logitech 0003:046D:C294.0002: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.00 Joystick [Driving Force GT] on usb-0000:02:00.0-2/input0
[ 1.525380] logitech 0003:046D:C294.0002: Force feedback support for Logitech Gaming Wheels

Can you post output of

lsusb -sX:Y -vvv | grep bcdDevice

where X and Y is the bus and device ID your wheel is attached to? If you got your wheel recently you might have a newer revision of the wheel that is not recognized by the driver. If that's the case I'll try to nudge the guy who wrote a patch set that is supposed to resolve this once and for all to get it mainlined.
Quote from MadCatX :Can you post output of

lsusb -sX:Y -vvv | grep bcdDevice

where X and Y is the bus and device ID your wheel is attached to? If you got your wheel recently you might have a newer revision of the wheel that is not recognized by the driver. If that's the case I'll try to nudge the guy who wrote a patch set that is supposed to resolve this once and for all to get it mainlined.

Thank you for the reply.

That's possible, I bought it just a couple days ago.

The output is:

bcdDevice 13.27

The ID doesn't appear to be among those recognized by the current kernel driver. You should be able to use LTWC to switch the wheel to the native mode though until a proper fix is in place.
I have exactly the same problem (impossible to write in range file):

$ echo 540 > /sys/module/hid_logitech/drivers/hid:logitech/0003:046D:C294.0006/range
$ cat /sys/module/hid_logitech/drivers/hid:logitech/0003:046D:C294.0006/range
$ lsusb -s1:4 -vvv | grep bcdDevice
bcdDevice 12.39

So I used ltwheelconf:

ltwheelconf --wheel G27 --nativemode --autocenter 100 --rampspeed 1 --range 540

It works almost well : resulting range is not 540 degrees, but something like 810 degrees. Moreover I get about 200 degrees of dead zone, whatever the configuration I set in games.

So I have to play with the driver default range of 270 degrees. Except the range, everything is working well.
What kernel version are you running? Support for this revision of G27 has been available since 3.14. It won't explain the other issues but I can't think of anything that would except that you might be using /dev/input/js instead of /dev/input/event device in games which might give you some unwanted deadzones.
Hi MadCatX,
I'm not at home currently, so I can't give you the exact kernel version I have. Nevertheless, one data, I use Kubuntu 14.04 LTS, up to date.
I will check my kernel version as soon as I will be back home and also take a look about js device instead of event one.
Anyway, as I don't know how is working the driver, I don't understand why I can't edit the /sys/module/hid_logitech/drivers/hid:logitech/*/range file. Does it exist any documentation on this driver ?
Thanks !
The kernel in stock Ubuntu 14.04 is 3.13 which is unfortunately one version too old to detect your revision of the G27 correctly. You can use LTWC just to switch the wheel to its native mode and set the range via sysfs. All "smarter" Logitech wheels show themselves as "Logitech Driving Force" (046D:C294) at first and have to be switched to their "native" modes by the driver. The driver in kernel 3.13 doesn't recognize your G27 correctly and leaves it in the compatibility mode, therefore you cannot change the range.
Ok, thanks a lot for this info !
Small heads up. Kernel 4.1 is starting to hit repositories of rolling update distributions. Issue with some newer revisions of wheels not being picked up by the driver should be resolved there.
Two questions
1. How do you turn autocenter on in the driver without ltwheelconf?
2. On another game I played on windows the game required "report combined pedals" to be ticked, is there an option for that in the driver?
Quote from Gilvalion :Two questions
1. How do you turn autocenter on in the driver without ltwheelconf?

You can still use LTWC's "alt_autocenter" option to adjust centering spring force.

./ltwheelconf -b N -d /dev/input/eventXX

You can also control the gain in the same way. Note that this will work with any force feedback device that supports gain and centering spring, it is not limited to just Logitech wheels.

Quote from Gilvalion :
2. On another game I played on windows the game required "report combined pedals" to be ticked, is there an option for that in the driver?

As of now there is no such option...
I am trying to use Logitech DFGT with a Debian based OS(kernel release 4.1.7). A lot of posts in this thread say that LTWheelConf is no longer needed and DFGT is supported natively by the kernel which is true. But, I tested my DFGT with evtest and jstest and found out few buttons and H-shifter not being detected. So I installed LTWheelConf.

Everything works fine except the wheel is off-centered (to the right about 45 degrees) after the calibration. If I unplug and replug the DFGT's usb, it ends up facing normal.
Is there any way this can be avoided?

One more problem is that the wheel starts vibrating even though FFB is disabled. Can this rumbling effect be disabled?
Quote from Roronoa Zoro :I am trying to use Logitech DFGT with a Debian based OS(kernel release 4.1.7). A lot of posts in this thread say that LTWheelConf is no longer needed and DFGT is supported natively by the kernel which is true. But, I tested my DFGT with evtest and jstest and found out few buttons and H-shifter not being detected. So I installed LTWheelConf.

What interface did you check? 4.1+ kernels should pick up DFGT correctly. Can you check the output of "/sys/bus/hid/drivers/logitech/<dev>/alternate_modes" and "/sys/bus/hid/drivers/logitech/<dev>/real_id" when the wheel is connected? Value of <dev> will vary.

Quote from Roronoa Zoro :
Everything works fine except the wheel is off-centered (to the right about 45 degrees) after the calibration. If I unplug and replug the DFGT's usb, it ends up facing normal.
Is there any way this can be avoided?

This sounds like a hardware problem to me because the driver has no control over the autocalibration.

One more problem is that the wheel starts vibrating even though FFB is disabled. Can this rumbling effect be disabled?

When does this happen? I'd image this to be a problem with a game and not the wheel of drivers.
Quote :What interface did you check? 4.1+ kernels should pick up DFGT correctly. Can you check the output of "/sys/bus/hid/drivers/logitech/<dev>/alternate_modes" and "/sys/bus/hid/drivers/logitech/<dev>/real_id" when the wheel is connected? Value of <dev> will vary.

With evtest: /dev/input/event1 (event1 was for DFGT)
With jstest: /dev/input/js0 (js0 was for DFGT)

I was not able to find alternate_modes or real_id.

"ls -l" of "/sys/bus/hid/drivers/logitech/":
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Nov 6 04:26 0003:046D:C29A.0003 -> ../../../../devices/platform/soc/3f980000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.3/1-1.3:1.0/0003:046D:C29A.0003
--w------- 1 root root 4096 Nov 6 04:26 bind
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Nov 6 04:26 module -> ../../../../module/hid_logitech
--w------- 1 root root 4096 Nov 6 04:26 new_id
--w------- 1 root root 4096 Nov 6 04:26 uevent
--w------- 1 root root 4096 Nov 6 04:26 unbind

"ls -l" of "/sys/bus/hid/drivers/logitech/0003:046D:C29A.0003":
total 0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Nov 6 04:27 country
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Nov 6 04:19 driver -> ../../../../../../../../../bus/hid/drivers/logitech
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Nov 6 04:19 hidraw
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Nov 6 04:19 input
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Nov 6 04:27 modalias
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Nov 6 04:27 report_descriptor
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Nov 6 04:18 subsystem -> ../../../../../../../../../bus/hid
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Nov 6 04:18 uevent

Quote :This sounds like a hardware problem to me because the driver has no control over the autocalibration.

I have noticed that the offcenter problem does not occur when I use the kernel provided driver (without LTWheelConf). With LTWheelConf, sometimes the wheel is offcenterd and sometimes it is not. And without LTWheelConf, all the buttons are not detected.

Quote :When does this happen? I'd image this to be a problem with a game and not the wheel of drivers.

As soon as I plugin DFGT, that initial rotation of the steering wheel happens after that it starts vibrating. I have to steer it a little either to the left or right to make it stop. But it reoccurs when I use the steering wheel and again I have to steer it a little to make it stop.
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Nov 6 04:19 driver -> ../../../../../../../../../bus/hid/drivers/logitech
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Nov 6 04:18 subsystem -> ../../../../../../../../../bus/hid

This is a very weird output. Are you really running at least kernel 4.1? Is the support for Logitech wheels (CONFIG_LOGIWHEELS_FF=y) compiled in? Can you boot the kernel with "hid.debug=1" parameter and post the output of dmesg after you have plugged the wheel in? There is absolutely no way that the sysfs entries would be missing unless something fails during the initialization.

Quote :This sounds like a hardware problem to me because the driver has no control over the autocalibration.

I have noticed that the offcenter problem does not occur when I use the kernel provided driver (without LTWheelConf). With LTWheelConf, sometimes the wheel is offcenterd and sometimes it is not. And without LTWheelConf, all the buttons are not detected.

The missing buttons and shifter would most likely be consistent with the wheel staying in the compatibility mode. I don't recall how LTWheelConf worked but if my memory serves me right LTWC would not switch the wheel into native mode if it had been switched already by the kernel driver. In fact LTWC cannot work properly anymore because the kernel driver overrides any changes made by LTWC when libusb returns the wheel back to the kernel.
Quote from MadCatX :
total 0

This is a very weird output. Are you really running at least kernel 4.1? Is the support for Logitech wheels (CONFIG_LOGIWHEELS_FF=y) compiled in? Can you boot the kernel with "hid.debug=1" parameter and post the output of dmesg after you have plugged the wheel in? There is absolutely no way that the sysfs entries would be missing unless something fails during the initialization.

CONFIG_LOGIWHEELS_FF is not compiled. I assumed CONFIG_LOGIWHEELS_FF was for force feedback only. I'll compile the kernel with CONFIG_LOGIWHEELS_FF=y and give it a try. Thank you.

LTWheelConf - Setup Logitech DFP/G25/G27 on linux
(269 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG