The online racing simulator
About Drift
(9 posts, started )
About Drift
i was thinking...and why not put something connected to drift competitions??

would be nice to have something like that, many people would buy the game...thats my idea...
The problem is that drifting for points isn't drifting.. It's about style and for that you need designated judges..

There's plenty of S2 drift servers with point systems and plenty without, drifting for high points is for single player IMO I must prefer twin drifting for fun and matching the other persons drift style.
Quote from thuga69 :i was thinking...and why not put something connected to drift competitions??

would be nice to have something like that, many people would buy the game...thats my idea...

There is a thing called insim that allows for something like this to be done already so it's already implemented into the game, in a way. There are already servers with so called "lappers" that counts score depending on your drifting in various ways. Personally I don't think drifting should be involved with competition at all. It's an art-form. It's about style. It's not a sport in the same sense as racing unless you count sliding around corners to gain time of course.
I happened to be at a drift competition the other day (which was crap, but that's not the point) with friends, and we didn't like the subjective nature of drifting (one of the major problems most people have with it). We decided it wouldn't be difficult to produce a properly objective scoring system for drifting, to remove the reliance on human judges.
  • Angle can be measured using a slip angle sensor, either optical or GPS based such as a VBOX II
  • Speed can be measured using the same GPS based system
  • Distance can be measured using a sensor at the designated clipping point/other car, or again using the GPS data (knowing the track outline)
The peak/average readings can then be assigned values and entered into a formula to return a score.
Quote from spookthehamster :I happened to be at a drift competition the other day (which was crap, but that's not the point) with friends, and we didn't like the subjective nature of drifting (one of the major problems most people have with it). We decided it wouldn't be difficult to produce a properly objective scoring system for drifting, to remove the reliance on human judges.
  • Angle can be measured using a slip angle sensor, either optical or GPS based such as a VBOX II
  • Speed can be measured using the same GPS based system
  • Distance can be measured using a sensor at the designated clipping point/other car, or again using the GPS data (knowing the track outline)
The peak/average readings can then be assigned values and entered into a formula to return a score.

But it can't judge the line along the track which is an important factor.
#6 - War
IRL there are judges. Only speed is measured by a speedtrap. Everything else is done by humans. And why ruin a thing that works?

You could drift with alot of speed, have good angle and be good at clipping points, but if the ride looks wonky and sketchy it won't be as good as someone drifting smoothly. It's like figure ice skating.

But adding speedtraps to some points would be a good idea.
Quote from pärtan :But it can't judge the line along the track which is an important factor.

Yes it can. It's not hard to find the desired racing line and compare the variations between ideal and real.

Quote from War :IRL there are judges. Only speed is measured by a speedtrap. Everything else is done by humans. And why ruin a thing that works?

You could drift with alot of speed, have good angle and be good at clipping points, but if the ride looks wonky and sketchy it won't be as good as someone drifting smoothly. It's like figure ice skating.

But adding speedtraps to some points would be a good idea.

Because objective is always better than subjective. It's the same reason why people want goal-line technology in football or Hawkeye in tennis. Remove human error/bias.

If you have speed, angle and position you can also find the rate of change of any of those things, which can be used to show how smooth the driver is.
Quote from spookthehamster :Because objective is always better than subjective. It's the same reason why people want goal-line technology in football or Hawkeye in tennis. Remove human error/bias.

then we can make robots that make a perfect drift round every time!!

TRrollollollol..
Quote from spookthehamster :
Because objective is always better than subjective. It's the same reason why people want goal-line technology in football or Hawkeye in tennis. Remove human error/bias.

You sound like a V :O

About Drift
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG