The online racing simulator
Earphone advice
(41 posts, started )
Earphone advice
Hi all

I am looking for some earphones to use at the gym as the last pair I accidently stepped on Preferably looking for some in ear phones with a neckband or bits to clip over each ear. Obviously I am after decent sound quality but nothing spectacular and I have a budget of around £40 - £50 for some though preferably cheaper if possible.

I was looking at some Sennheiser PMX80's which are quite cheap but reading some reviews people complained about them being uncomfortable in your ears so back to step one.

Anyone got any recommendations for some? Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.
I only have IEMs, which are terrible at the gym because they fall out on the treadmill.

One of my friends has a pair of Koss Porta Pros. They sound, look and feel great.
I use Sony MDR-AS30s for cycling - they're over-the-ear-with-a-neckband ones.
Quote from spookthehamster :I only have IEMs, which are terrible at the gym because they fall out on the treadmill.

Thats the trouble I have hence wanting a neck band to hold them in place.

Quote from Crashgate3 :I use Sony MDR-AS30s for cycling - they're over-the-ear-with-a-neckband ones.

Hmmm a possibility, will look up some reviews to see what people think of them. Though I notice they have the plug in the middle which annoys me most about the earphones I use normally.

Anyone else got any ideas? Seems few and far between
#5 - TiJay
Sennheiser is the way to go usually, my CX500s don't fall out on the treadmill though... Sure you're using the right size earbud things?
The trick is to clip the chord somewhere close to the top of your neck on your clothing. That way the constant tugging on the chord won't pull them out of your ear. I can't use my currenty IEMs for jogging as, unlike my last pair, they didn't come with this feature. I will soon get inventive with a clip though.
Thanks for the tips, it seems to be swings or roundabouts here. I use different earphones for work and gym but last pair of work ones the clip never fell off but the earphones fell out, current pair the opposite. The earphones are fine but the clip falls off and then pulls both earphones out. Oh well, looking at some Philips SHQ4000/10 now, reviews seem to be good for the earphones but a bit lacking in sound.
#8 - TiJay
Earphones that are lacking in sound are never good
Chosen the easy option. I couldn't find any earphones that fitted the bill that are better than the broken ones so ordered some of the same (Sony MDR-AS50G). At least I know I wont have fitting problems

Thanks for the help anyway guys
These.

Goldring NS1000

Slightly over your budget of £50 at £55 but amazing product and RRP @ £160. I have them myself, decided to get some proper travel/outdoor headphones after breaking earphones all the time.

Trust me, sounds amazing, well balanced, blocks most of the external sound without even using the active noise cancelling function. They are 'over ear' so cup it well, they won't fall off. The wire connecting the headphones to the source is seperate to both the headphones and the source, so if you break it simply get another 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack and you're back in business...if you manage to break the one supplied anyway which is rock solid and really well made.

Had a pair for months now, walk to work with them on and also when I'm on my dinner or generally the 2.5 mile trek to the girlfriends...even done in the rain. Brilliant piece of kit and definitely recommended.
here's a tip. buy aborad (ebay) headphone prices in england are a absolute joke. i bought some nice sony ones from sony España for 18,99 the same ones in the uk were over £35 this was a while ago so i cant remember the exact specs of the headphones.
I have some Phillips ones they were about £25 from Currys very good quality.
#14 - MR_B
Greboth, do some reading into little known make SoundMagic. I bought a pair last week after killing my Sony's and they're just that, magic! I bought PL21's for £23. Wonderful things.
try to look on skyllcandy.com

great prices, great sound, and lifetime unlimited warranty
lets see...look at some reviews about the EXTREMELY cheaply priced ink'd headphones, sure they might not be for working out...but for the price those are literally best on the market. the lifetime unlimited warranty is just added security.

i have 40$ skullcandy over-ear agent headphones, and they are lightweight, stylish, durable, come in many colors, and sound very good for headphones for that price. the treble is crisp, and without distortion, the mid-ranges are there as far as i can tell (not a pro, but still), and the bass is deep and satisfying.

they have alot of options in between those prices, and alot of options farther up in price. i recomend them to everyone.

plus, why not try, you can always return.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Funny, that's exactly what my girlfriend says.

TO OP: Check this out, it's got some headphones for you.
logitek, you should never say "deep bass" or "is without distortion". Instead you should write THD and frequency response values.

Works with all brands, but larger models could be slightly uncomfortable.
Quote from E.Reiljans :logitek, you should never say "deep bass" or "is without distortion". Instead you should write THD and frequency response values.

THD isn't usually advertised with headphones. I can't say I've ever seen it shown, anyway. Unless they're bottoming out, any harmonic distortion should be pretty negligible, I would think.

And "frequency response" is very loosely advertised. For example, if a manufacturer says the frequency response is 5-28,000Hz (like my Pioneers, for example), what do they mean? Sometimes manufacturers mean that within that range, the response is +/-3dB. So, with my headphones, at 5Hz (If you even believe that frequency response), they're going to be down 96dB(A).
Quote from wheel4hummer :THD isn't usually advertised with headphones. I can't say I've ever seen it shown, anyway. Unless they're bottoming out, any harmonic distortion should be pretty negligible, I would think.

And "frequency response" is very loosely advertised. For example, if a manufacturer says the frequency response is 5-28,000Hz (like my Pioneers, for example), what do they mean? Sometimes manufacturers mean that within that range, the response is +/-3dB. So, with my headphones, at 5Hz (If you even believe that frequency response), they're going to be down 96dB(A).

Sennheiser has proper THD and freq. response values noted on their site, and their frequency responses look quite fair to me, not something starting with 1 hz or so .
Sennheiser is good, not as good as they were like 20 years back but still good sound for not too much money. I have a pair of MX560 for my Cowon iAudio, earbuds, not in-ear. In comparism with a pair of Phillips and IPod ones they provide a clearer, layered sound. Don't know how to descibe it, it not just bass or highs, its everything at the same time. Especially audiable on good WAV or FLAC files.
im not a pro with headphones, i was trying to say why i like skullcandy, and their products

Earphone advice
(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG