let me delineate my idea of ideal server for average racer.
I consider myself as average racer, not by PBs (they are much worse
) but by behaviour.
So what average racer want? I want to race not to crash. I want somebody to race with - at least one or two racers at similar level whom I can keep up, it usually requires fellow racer with the same car and similar setup.
How does my usual racing session looks like? I pick a car by actual taste and some known track (usually BL1 for nostalgic reasons
). Do several laps with default setup to get feeling of the car, get some "better" setup from web, do some other laps, try to improve my lap times, maybe change to another track. Then I go search for some populated server with combo I would like to try.
At this point a usualy realize that there is no such server with people racing. Last time I ended up in single player race with AI. Believe it or not, it was quite fun. Same car. Same setup. As last on start grid I have somebody to race with. I even improved by PB (yes, I know pretty lame) but if you have somebody to race with suddenly you become faster
Basicaly there are 4 steps:
- Get used to the car, standard setup
- Get used to the track
- After I get used to car, track combo, I try to improve my lap times, try other setups
- Do some racing against other people
So finally, ideal server for me would be:
- one, at most two comparable car classes per combo, longer rotation interval, let say 3 * X (see point 2.) minutes
- track rotation X minutes
- provide some reasonable initial setup (maybe link on welcome screen?)
- I would also appreciate if there will be some regular schedule for combos. E.g. Every monday at 19:00 there will be FBM at BL1. Rotation intervals would need to be carefully thought out to schedule combos for major timezones at reasonable time
General idea is to let people drive 1 car on more tracks (e.g. 3, this is the 3 in 3 * X) and to allow to try more cars, but to get balanced races (one car class in race).
Idea behind 1. and 2. is to let people try more tracks with car they got used to.
Idea behind 3. is to achieve balanced races (I know it's not only about setup, but it helps).
Idea behind 4. is that regular combos would attract racers to come back and race their favourite track with favourite car.
All this stuff should be supported by some web page with combo shedules, statistics, click&join, etc.
I do not request anything I just think you would appreciate average racers point of view.
I hope I didn't go too far off topic