The online racing simulator
Hosting questions
(3 posts, started )
Hosting questions
I was looking at buying a year of a 500server deal, and I'm assuming the 'slots' are the amount of players able to connect to it. Is that correct?

Its the first time I've even considered getting my own server, so is there anything else I need to know or any advice you would give? I hope to run a few championships through the webspace they include in the deal and I'm pretty organised with everything that I do so it's just the technical stuff that I'm concerned about.
Thats correct Adz,

basically 1 Slot = 1 person, so on a 20 slot server, you can have 20 different people on the server. with a 47 slot server you can have 47 people on the server, and upto 32 of those could race (LFS Limits).

Feel free to ask away for any other queries.
Quote from adz2706 :Its the first time I've even considered getting my own server, so is there anything else I need to know or any advice you would give? I hope to run a few championships through the webspace they include in the deal and I'm pretty organised with everything that I do so it's just the technical stuff that I'm concerned about.

My advice would be not to bother at the moment. You do not have the required experience and expertise in LFS to successfully run "a few championships". You only have 4000 miles, have been here for about a year, with very little racing and probably no admin experience. You should race more, plus have a look around and see what it actually takes to run a championship - it's certainly not a case of just buying a server, setting up a website and then expecting lots of people to come and join your league.

Thing is, even if you ignore the above, you will still need (respected and knowledgeable) people to help you out. Therefore, if you have any ideas for championships then you should post them here and they may be taken up by others who will be able to run them better - from which you can work with them and actually see what's involved.

Hosting questions
(3 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG