The online racing simulator
Torque Converter
(8 posts, started )
#1 - Phill
Torque Converter
Still think it needs to be there.. im sure it'll add some advantages and disadvantages for the ones who use "automatic" shifting.. besides, it just plain cool! :P
#2 - ajp71
I see absolutley no point in the devs simulating automatic gearboxes when no car in LFS is automatic. I can't think of one car I'd like to see in LFS that's automatic so wtf is the point? What's wrong with simply having the gears shifted for you in a manual box?
Quote from ajp71 :I see absolutley no point in the devs simulating automatic gearboxes when no car in LFS is automatic. I can't think of one car I'd like to see in LFS that's automatic so wtf is the point? What's wrong with simply having the gears shifted for you in a manual box?

Realism is what's wrong. I don't think there's any car that actually has a manual transmission that shifts for you as an "assist". Closest thing that exists is with the cars equipped with sequential-manual boxes, SMG/F1 types, which generally will have an automatic mode because it's more convenient to drive in heavy traffic or to talk on cellphone while driving.
Quote from Nick_ll :to talk on cellphone while driving.

Isn't that illegal over there?
#5 - Vain
I'll show you why torque converters are useless:
1. Assumption: It'd be useful to include torque converters for the auto-gear drivers.
2.But if they are included, then please include them like they are in reality.
3. But if they were included in LFS no one'd use them because they'd be too slow.
4. So, better not include them, because no one'd use them.

In just 4 steps I proved that the assumption that torque converters are useful directly leads to the conclusion that torque converters are useless. Thus the assumption must be wrong.
q.e.d.

I'd like to have the gear-change-assist removed.

Vain
I agree with vain, if LFS did simulate torque converters then nobody would use them because dog-o-matics because they rob horsepower. Not to mention they would probably shift in the middle of a corner and upset the car anyways or not downshift until you had it to the floor hesitating coming out of the corner (like the autoshift does now, which to me acts like a dog-o-matic anyways).
Quote from Vain :
I'd like to have the gear-change-assist removed.

Gotta agree with that. If it's not gonna be a proper auto tranny, then I say no auto shifting at all.
#8 - Woz
No we do not need a simulation of a slush-box. You never have any idea when these things will change gear on you so it is impossible to balance the car. Floor it and then you have to wait for it to realise you want it to change down.

But on the other hand, why remove the auto gear change mode we have now. I don't use it and have done manual gear changes since I started LFS but others are different and if it helps people learn the sim then this is a good thing.

Torque Converter
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG