The online racing simulator
RE: Internet speed, is this really acceptable??

i think it speaks for itself, absolute joke of a speed IMO.

I know i do live in quite a small village, but one of the largest university cities in the country is barely 10 miles away, plus if you scoot just 3 miles over to the next town (soham) then you're on 8meg if not quicker, it just seems to me that in 2010 this kind of speed isnt really acceptable.

Am i right, do i have a point, or am i just being OTT about it??
Download is less then the weakest speed you can get here in Serbia (1mbit), but the upload is ok. How much do you pay for that?
I was getting terrible performance from my 10Mb Virgin line the other day, so I called their Indian tech support call centre and my technical advisor 'Nitin' advised me to visit a speed test website.

After literally ten minutes of sitting in silence on the phone with him whilst waiting for the speed test page to load it miraculously declared my speed to be 9.53mbps and Nitin - with no hint of irony whatsoever - told me that I was receiving an excellent service!

:banghead:
Quote from thisnameistaken :I was getting terrible performance from my 10Mb Virgin line the other day, so I called their Indian tech support call centre and my technical advisor 'Nitin' advised me to visit a speed test website.

After literally ten minutes of sitting in silence on the phone with him whilst waiting for the speed test page to load it miraculously declared my speed to be 9.53mbps and Nitin - with no hint of irony whatsoever - told me that I was receiving an excellent service!

:banghead:

Yeah, I've had that before. I called up the guy at TalkTalk to tell him I was only getting about 100 kbps, when he proudly informed me that my line was running at 8 mbps. OK - great, my phoneline gets better broadband that I do, but that doesn't help me when I'm trying to watch an episode of Doctor Who and the screen freezes every ten seconds.

Anyway, after getting more and more angry with this poor guy (I always try not to get pissed at them, it's not their fault), I eventually hung up. Within a few days my speed was miraculously back to normal all by itself. I guess those three inches of cable between my phoneline and the computer must have recovered.
Quote from DarkTimes :Anyway, after getting more and more angry with this poor guy (I always try not to get pissed at them, it's not their fault), I eventually hung up. Within a few days my speed was miraculously back to normal all by itself. I guess those three inches of cable between my phoneline and the computer must have recovered.

Yeah Nitin tried to tell me the fault was either my browser or my computer. "Let's try Chrome then - that's a fast browser isn't it?" I replied, but he said I would also need to try another computer.

I told him I had a laptop downstairs but I had run out of time to talk to him (this was true, I had to go out) but I would try it later and if its internet connection was slow I was going to call back and ask for him personally, but a few hours later when I got home my cable and computer had miraculously recovered just like yours did.
Tryed to look up my speeds too and the thing is that all results are "empty" like that. No idea why. Well ... here's mine.

same here,boxes are empty, inluding posts made on this forum.
#8 - robt
Where abouts are you Dan? My GF lives between upware and reach, their internet suplier is as reliable as an old citroen One day they will get 2mb. the next day they get faster upload then download, then sometimes it wont even work or runs slower than 56k dial up!
#9 - Seb66
Quote from robt :Where abouts are you Dan? My GF lives between upware and reach, their internet suplier is as reliable as an old citroen One day they will get 2mb. the next day they get faster upload then download, then sometimes it wont even work or runs slower than 56k dial up!

i am in wicken mate, just here! to be exact, last house on the left as you head towards stretham, although that pic is well old on streetview, volvo and rover are long gone lol

and we are on orange broadband, the medium package so im told, its mum n dads internet, and we have been told that this is as fast as we can expect to get via orange, yet the house next door, which is joined to ours, are recieving between 6 and 8 meg, which is apparently because their phone line comes in underground and ours is from a telegraph pole, thats meant to be why we get no speed.
#11 - robt
Reckon I can see your house from the GF's roof if I had binoculars. Count yourself lucky having it through cable. Theirs is sent via radio waves to upware!

I must admit that speed distribution can be dodgy with everyone though. for example, myself, the man over the road (who works for virgin) and my friend on road away all use virgin media 10mb. My max D/l is usualy between 200-600kbs depending on the time of day. Guy over the road 800+, mate a road away 1000+ kbs! I'd like to see them explain that one!
Quote from danthebangerboy :
Am i right, do i have a point, or am i just being OTT about it??

That's almost exactly what my upload and download speeds are from home. It was my choice because I chose the cheapest DSL service that AT&T has to offer in the USA.

I've heard that Europeans generally get much faster speeds in their homes than we do here in the USA. So for that, maybe you do have a point and I am jealous of those who do get the faster speeds, especially if the cost is reasonable.

-Maurice
Quote from robt :Guy over the road 800+, mate a road away 1000+ kbs! I'd like to see them explain that one!

That's the same as 1mb.

-Maurice
I am laughing at mine. It looks fine in the test but it is not consistent and it cuts out a lot. I had a much smoother connection on my 3mb line about a year and a half ago and I could race online without lag. With the 10mb line I am lagging quite a bit.
Edit: I still lag with this... WTF http://www.speedtest.net/result/1072559052.png

Just proves faster is not always better, 60% packet loss?
http://www.pingtest.net/result/30282847.png

Pretty beast.
Sueycide_FD I feel sorry for you
Oh, and this is supposed to be 100/20, but most of the time it isn't it, but I have managed to get 9.5 mb/s when downloading from torrent.

#17 - robt

Not looking that great for 10mb is it?
Quote from 91mason91 :How is that connection possible?

Um, GPON has 2.5 gbit/s down / 1.3 gbit/s up limit, so that's half of what's possible :P

We are getting full 2.5 gbit/s next year, will have to save up for 4 gbit/s NIC
Freaking Baltics... One thing they are good at is internet. Light years ahead of everyone else.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Um, GPON has 2.5 gbit/s down / 1.3 gbit/s up limit, so that's half of what's possible :P

We are getting full 2.5 gbit/s next year, will have to save up for 4 gbit/s NIC

Usually those PON lines are shared on a big campus though, getting all the speed by yourself is awesome

Soon, Youtube will need to add UHD streaming..
I'd be fine with half a meg broadband if I were only surfing. The trouble is, a half meg line running well is much more consistent than a much faster line that's chocking down to half a meg (response time and packet loss being key here).

It's only for downloading large files (or high quality streaming if you wish to dirty yourself with that idea) where I find high speeds are really useful. I'm with Virgin and the past couple of months, the connection is clearly being restricted before midnight, as my download rates jump from 120kbits to 1600kbits at precisely midnight, every night. I can't notice a difference when browsing though, so as far as I'm concerned, advertising higher speeds all the time for sales is irrelevant. It can be much slower so long as it works and most people will be just as happy.
Quote from RasmusL :Soon, Youtube will need to add UHD streaming..

What they need to add is proper encodes (2 mbit/s for 720p and 3 mbit/s for 1080p just won't cut it).
Quote from Sueycide_FD :

Pretty beast.

that's a home connection, right? here i am shelling out $100/mth for a business line, and all i get is 1mbps up.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG