The online racing simulator
Thrustmaster T500 RS
(230 posts, started )
See, just to make Fanatec pedals usable you need to buy tuning kits and lube them.

That's low quality hardware right there.
Quote from BOSCHO :Yes i tried it. the G27 is more comfortable for long races. Yes the force on the thrustmaster one is more big but i only use about 60% of it.

The Thrustmaster allows for a wider range of setting up I suppose. I really like the 1080 deg rotation aspect. A thing I like about the G25/G27 is that instead of trying to solve the reversed pedal mounting thing with some fancy solution, they simply made it easy to disassemble and collect the goodies inside to mount the way you like it. A negative thing about the Thrustmaster is that it doesn't include an H-pattern shifter which is crucial for me. However, I don't really care because I'm perfectly happy with the G25 despite of the funny noises it makes.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :See, just to make Fanatec pedals usable you need to buy tuning kits and lube them.

That's low quality hardware right there.

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room
This thing has hit stores here in the Netherlands a few days ago and I've had my hands on it for a bit. Unfortunatly it was not a powered one.

The first thing I noticed when grabbing the wheel was that it's very thin and my thumbs barely fit in the places where you should keep them. And that while I'm only 16 year old and my hands are not that big! Also the wheel feels very heavy, even when mounted. Call me anything you like, but I prefer my G27 over this thing, even though the T500 should have better FFB. The G27 feels much more comfortable. Also, the shift pedals feel very cheap imo, like there is no spring in it. The G27 has a nice and sturdy feel on them, but with the T500 it felt like I was pressing a can against a button.

Just my 2 cents!
T500 RS must be compared with Frex or ECCI Force Feedback wheels = not with Logitech or Fanatec. It's really not the same range :checkered
Quote from RoadrunnerS :T500 RS must be compared with Frex or ECCI Force Feedback wheels = not with Logitech or Fanatec. It's really not the same range :checkered

That's bullshit.
Yes, it's a bit more expensive than Logitechs offerings and that should be taken in to account when deciding for a wheel. But it's still not Frex or ECCI money.
Actually, Thrustmaster themself said it must compete with the Logitechs and Fanatecs.
i think it's great. it means that for logitech and fanatec to be able to stay at the top of the pile, they are going to have to either match the spec of the T500 or make a better wheel.
competition is great for the consumer.
#86 - JJ72
I've tried it and it is indeed a great wheel, however I also start to realize that it is a bit stupid to spend this much on a wheel for driving virtual cars.
it's still cheaper than running a real car for a season.
#88 - JJ72
Quote from dadge :it's still cheaper than running a real car for a season.

You can't compare experience on a real car to sim racing, it's just too different.
Quote from JJ72 :You can't compare experience on a real car to sim racing, it's just too different.

well what can you compare it to then? sim racing is more accessible. it's also less expensive. sure, the physics are nothing compared to real life, but does that reduce the feeling a sim racer gets when in the thick of it?
imo, a race is a race. the platform is not relevant. simply because the playing field is level for all users. after all, a race is simply a way to find out who can get from point "A" to point "B" first.
#90 - JJ72
I'll compare it to other hobbies that you can learn something from and feel good doing it. say playing guitar,

Sitting in a chair cannot compare to driving a real car, even a eco-box on a track day is endlessly more involving. You can see it as another way to be competitive, but I guess you have to be pretty damn good and put a lot of time in it to justify this sort of equipment, and even that is mostly an enhancement in the experience but not performance.

I'd personally rather spend that money is spend to learn a new musical instrument, going on a short vacation with someone important. Of course I lusted after Fanatecs and this like most people who sim-race does but when I sat down and think about it, is smoother steering, better FFB worth the price of a Telecaster? I decided not.

Guess I am past that competitive stage of sim-racing.
yes, compare it to playing a guitar, but we're not playing guitar hero are we? when racing, do you race the other cars (virtual or not), or do you race the people driving the cars? those people are real, so are their reactions. yes the platform is virtual but as said before, the platform is not relevant imo. i think my understanding of a race differs from what your understanding is. imo a race is between one or more people. the race could be to see who drinks a pint of lager the fastest. the race could be who pulls the most ladies when out clubbing. the race could be who is gonna eat their sunday fry up the fastest. the race could be anything. racing isn't just motorsport related. so, because of this the platform is not relevant.
i'd love to be a F1 driver. all they do is sit on their asses playing simulators for nothing apparently.
Quote from JJ72 :I'll compare it to other hobbies that you can learn something from and feel good doing it. say playing guitar,

Sitting in a chair cannot compare to driving a real car, even a eco-box on a track day is endlessly more involving. You can see it as another way to be competitive, but I guess you have to be pretty damn good and put a lot of time in it to justify this sort of equipment, and even that is mostly an enhancement in the experience but not performance.

I'd personally rather spend that money is spend to learn a new musical instrument, going on a short vacation with someone important. Of course I lusted after Fanatecs and this like most people who sim-race does but when I sat down and think about it, is smoother steering, better FFB worth the price of a Telecaster? I decided not.

Guess I am past that competitive stage of sim-racing.

Well that's your choice. Other people do think it's worth it to get expensive wheels; their choice. You can't tell them they're wrong or something IMO.
#93 - JJ72
Quote from dadge :yes, compare it to playing a guitar, but we're not playing guitar hero are we? when racing, do you race the other cars (virtual or not), or do you race the people driving the cars? those people are real, so are their reactions. yes the platform is virtual but as said before, the platform is not relevant imo. i think my understanding of a race differs from what your understanding is. imo a race is between one or more people. the race could be to see who drinks a pint of lager the fastest. the race could be who pulls the most ladies when out clubbing. the race could be who is gonna eat their sunday fry up the fastest. the race could be anything. racing isn't just motorsport related. so, because of this the platform is not relevant.
i'd love to be a F1 driver. all they do is sit on their asses playing simulators for nothing apparently.

lets just say competition isn't high on my list currently, I rather just enjoy driving a car, a real car, or learn some new skills.
#94 - JJ72
Quote from Bose321 :Well that's your choice. Other people do think it's worth it to get expensive wheels; their choice. You can't tell them they're wrong or something IMO.

Sorry when did I tell people they are wrong? I was just saying when I was testing the wheel the idea of spending this much on a wheel is a bit stupid, I never criticize anyone for buying it.
Quote from JJ72 :lets just say competition isn't high on my list currently, I rather just enjoy driving a car, a real car, or learn some new skills.

which brings us back to my original point. not everyone has a real car. but can afford a wheel. sim racing is much safer too. i don't think there's been any recorded deaths caused by sim racing.
#96 - JJ72
Quote from dadge :which brings us back to my original point. not everyone has a real car. but can afford a wheel. sim racing is much safer too. i don't think there's been any recorded deaths caused by sim racing.

Why are we arguing about my opinion again? I just stated my opinion that I prefer real driving to sim racing, imo the danger is part of the immersion of real driving - you are actually pulling G and if you hit something, it is physical.
i'm not arguing. i'm just saying that most people can't afford to maintain a racing car. so sims and controllers are one of the very few options they have. the T500 is still cheaper than running a racing car. yes you said you can't compare but then we're back to people being able to afford a racing car to be able to compare.
the thrill of winning an online race can be compared to winning a real race imo. after all, you're still racing against real people.
Quote from JJ72 :Sorry when did I tell people they are wrong? I was just saying when I was testing the wheel the idea of spending this much on a wheel is a bit stupid, I never criticize anyone for buying it.

You are indirectly. You say it's stupid, and a waste of money to buy an expensive wheel...
#99 - JJ72
Quote from Bose321 :You are indirectly. You say it's stupid, and a waste of money to buy an expensive wheel...

I think it is a stupid idea for my own situation and from my perspective, please find something else to be bothered about, geez.
Quote from dadge :i'm not arguing. i'm just saying that most people can't afford to maintain a racing car. so sims and controllers are one of the very few options they have. the T500 is still cheaper than running a racing car. yes you said you can't compare but then we're back to people being able to afford a racing car to be able to compare.
the thrill of winning an online race can be compared to winning a real race imo. after all, you're still racing against real people.

well for myself I can compare, at least for myself 30mins of track time in a rented car is endlessly more enjoyable and memorable than months of sim racing.

lets just leave it there.

Thrustmaster T500 RS
(230 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG