The online racing simulator
When blue falg pops up i usually check mirrors as sometimes can show blue falg when cars its showing blueflag for is ages away. But i pay more attention to my mirrors and as they get close i usually move to one side of track, that my be left or right depending on track, but usually the outside of whatever corners approaching. I move while im still far enough a head thath the driver can see me but itsnt affected by what im doing (eg having to suddenly switched sides of track) then wehn im one side of the track i usually indicate to that the side of the track to show im staying on that side.
Also on the occasions ive been lapping someone i usually hit "good pass" after a good pass. Wasnt for position but im like thanking them for not gettin in the way. Just think that shuld be done more.
Overall it does seem in racing they indicate to show side for driver to pass, but i would say racing in lfs safer to indicate to the side you are going to.
Quote from Vain :I like to see someone indicate in front of me because that way I know that
a) the driver has noticed me and
b) the driver expects me to do the pass now.
No matter the direction the driver before me indicates, the situation is safer than without indication, because we both know what the other driver will do. I know he will slow down, he knows I'll pass. No uncertainty.

I feel exactly the same. It's not really the direction of signing that counts, it's the fact that the driver ahead has seen the incoming driver. Even if there is a little miscommunication about on which side to pass because the front driver doesn't move to one side fast enough, you still know that no matter what happens, the driver in front has seen you and wants to avoid a collision just as much as you.

In other cases it's "I hope he's seen me..."

Let's not forget that there are few professional drivers amongst the LFS drivers. On a real life circuit you know the guy in front of you has probably at least some racing experience and knows the rules of racing (not always - even in F1 you see people who don't know the meaning of mirrors and blue flags). When he doesn't sign directions you can still be pretty sure he knows you are there.

Online in LFS is a different thing. Quite a few drivers don't even have a driving license in real life, never been on a circuit or never raced any other realistic racing game with other people. When you tail someone it's not straightforward to blindly assume he knows you are there. Some people have due to their small FOV and no virtual mirror simply no rear view unless they look behind them. And even with a mirror some people just don't see you.

I'm not saying everyone must use their turning lights, but I sure know to appreciate it.
Quote from Greboth :
Also on the occasions ive been lapping someone i usually hit "good pass" after a good pass. Wasnt for position but im like thanking them for not gettin in the way. Just think that shuld be done more.

I always forget which one the "Thanks" key is
If I see someone making sure I can make a safe pass I tend to blink the hazard light twice as a way of saying thanks. I guess most people don't even notice it, so it may be better to say thanks over the chat.

Quote :Overall it does seem in racing they indicate to show side for driver to pass, but i would say racing in lfs safer to indicate to the side you are going to.

That's how I experience it too. I used to indicate to the opposite side, but that lead to discussions like "why were you indicating left while you stayed right?" or contacts because the other car moved the same way as I did. Now I simply sign in the direction I move. Can't say I had anyone complaining about that.
I've never even thought about this idea giving light signals... but I think the easiest way is to make a command (in the Profiler) for the hazard lights. Don't make a keystroke, because with command you can make it first press keyboard button 9 (hazards on), little pause and then automatically to put them off with keyboard button 0. See the pic.

At least with hazard lights you don't need to wonder do I give a left or right light signal. And better for us MOMO users which doesn't have many buttons as DFP.
Attached images
Image2.gif
Quote from deggis :I've never even thought about this idea giving light signals... but I think the easiest way is to make a command (in the Profiler) for the hazard lights. Don't make a keystroke, because with command you can make it first press keyboard button 9 (hazards on), little pause and then automatically to put them off with keyboard button 0. See the pic.

At least with hazard lights you don't need to wonder do I give a left or right light signal. And better for us MOMO users which doesn't have many buttons as DFP.

FOr momo users might bt good to use command. I use a dfp and have got inidicators/hazzards/no signals on the direction pad, so i can just turn them off in one press and i dont need to look away. Inidcators do seem to be usedful when blue falg situations arise.
#31 - Vain
In my layout I have a shift-key assigned on the wheel and shift-key + left/right paddle activates the indicators (without shift the paddles are look left/right, at least in streetcars). Tapping shift + the same paddle a second time will trigger the 0-key to disable the indicators again.
These cycle-commands in the logitech profiler can be pretty useful.

Vain
I also wondered, which signal to show, because in real life I've seen a lot of trucks, that show on which side is safe to pass them. So usually in LFS I blink hazard lights and move to side of track, I think that is good way to tell "yes, I see you, I'm letting you pass", and that doesn't confuse anybody
I suppose that in which direction trucks signal when it's safe to pass differs from country to country... Here in Finland trucks signal right when it's safe to pass, when I read somewhere that they signal left at Mexico.
can we make a list of which countries the lorry drivers indicate which way you need to overtake.

im going to take out life insurance if i ever drive there
Quote from deggis :I think the easiest way is to make a command (in the Profiler) for the hazard lights. Don't make a keystroke, because with command you can make it first press keyboard button 9 (hazards on), little pause and then automatically to put them off with keyboard button 0. See the pic.

Another way can be seen in the attached screenshot. With a command like that the hazard light (or left/right turning light if you change the keys) blinks for as long as you hold the assigned button. As soon as you release the button, the light goes out.
Attached images
logitech_profiler.png
Quote from richy :can we make a list of which countries the lorry drivers indicate which way you need to overtake.

im going to take out life insurance if i ever drive there

Yeah, or do like me and get really messed up in the head when you realise he wasn't signalling for YOU to pass, but actually signalling HE was going to pass another truck... Geez, that was a tight squeeze between a truck and the armco.
UK overtaking etiquette
In the UK (we drive on the left) if a lorry in front of me indicates right (outside), he is either over taking something or turning right.
If he indicates left (inside), he’s turning left or it’s safe for me to pass.

Also on track days here ,we are taught to indicate to the side we are moving to , just like on the road , you turn right you signal right .If your turning right , you don’t indicate left to tell the car behind he can pass on the left ...do you ???

I would use my indicators more ,but unsure of how to set them up on my thrustmaster force feedback wheel.
I try to keep it simple. Hazard flashs to show the peeps behind me that I am slower/on a slower lap. Then I simply move to where they are not going, like... Off the racing line. I use the turn signals sometimes on the normal lap, when someone wants to take me over. EX: back straight car suck... I hold the button a few seconds, light stay fully on, then close the light. I like that, lol. Not much of a utility I guess. Hehe.
I use it the way I always remembered it's been used on track: Blink to the left, if you want the guy behind you pass on the left. I use this quite often, and actually, I never had any problems with it at all, at least not I can remember.

I do notice I'm often the only guy using this, I've never seen anyone else do it, while it's very practical and simple. And safe if we'd all agree on using it the same way. When IRL a car has trouble, and drives slowly, he always puts his blinker on in the direction people should pass him, so why not use the same in LFS?

And about truck drivers (or similar) telling you it's clear to pass... Never seen that one before, and if I would ever see it, I wouldn't trust on the guy. Like somebody else said... You don't know if he's signalling to you, or for you.

And we're on a track, not on the road, so I don't think the same rules apply, like don't pass on the right (for UK: don't pass on the left).
Reading this thread makes me realize why possibly at race start when I want those behind me to go by and I pull over, they sometimes seem to run into the back of me on purpose, LOL. They are turn signals which means they are what you use to signal where you want to turn. The way some describe it here, if you were out on the road and wanted to turn across the other lane of traffic into another road, those behind would crash into you because they thought you were signalling for them to go past on that side?? illepall
Like I said... On track signal lights don't mean the same thing as on the road.
You call them turn signals, like they are called on the road... I call them signal lights, like they are on the track. Simple as that.

And could somebody please back me up on that the side where the light is blinking, the passing driver should pass? I always "knew" it was like this, but I don't really have anything backing me up on that, and I'm too lazy to look it up or something.
The problem is there's just no international protocol. UK drivers mean one thing by it, German drivers mean another, U.S. drivers mean something else. I remember reading a Nordschliefe site for U.K. drivers which has a whole paragraph explaining the convention regarding turn signals there. I figure that since there's no universal understanding of them, using them will probably cause more confusion than NOT using them, so I don't.
I guess signalling on the track could be seen as a "point by", in which case, you should signal to the side you want the faster car to overtake on.
Funny how I never had any problems using my blinkers, and other people understand... And since I've been in this thread... it happend to me yesterday that the guy behind me got it the wrong way... so typical

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG