The online racing simulator
Questions about getting lapped and turn signal indicator usage
When I'm lucky enough to get to see races with multiple classes on TV I notice that the slower guys often use turn signal indicators to acknowledge the guys lapping them.

My questions are:
1) If I'm being lapped and I put my left turn signal indicator on does that mean I'm going to move over to the left or I want the guy to lap me on the left? Or is it simply enough to acknowledge the guy and he can figure out what I mean by my racing line?

2) Can I map the left/right turn signals to buttons on my wheel? I've got the red momo with 6 buttons and I really only use three of them. (look left/right and speed limiter)

speedfreak227
1) I always move to the side I indicate, not that I actually bother indicating much.

2) You can do it from the profiler.
Ok, I tried and couldn't find where to select turn signals. Where are they?

and what do ctrl F9-F12 do?

speedfreak227
What I meant is open the Logitech Profiler, and assign whatever indicator combinations you want (kb 7 thru to 0 (left, right, emergency, none respectively)) for the buttons on your MOMO in the profiler.

F9 is tire info (temps, camber, G force and wear)
F10 is damage
F11 is live settings (brake bias etc)
F12 is pit strategy
ok, thank you. now can you tell me which key does left signal and which one does right signal?

as for F9-F12, i know about those. i meant CTRL F9-f12 as i've circled in the picture attachment
Attached images
eh.JPG
Ah lol sorry, they're unused. Use them for whatever you want, e.g. "Blue FLAG n00b" msgs

the indicator buttons are still numbers 7, 8, 9, 0 on your keyboard, but aren't found in the in-game settings I believe

and use the method in the pic provided to assign indicators to ur wheel buttons

Number button 7 is signal left, 8 is signal right, 9 is hazards/4-way flashers, and 0 cancels your signal. I think I used to assign it on the d-pad on my DFP as left for left signal, right for right signal, up for hazards, and down for cancel. Worked nicely. Not that I ever used it!

Nice idea for when you're being lapped.

Edit: beaten to it!
Use 7 for left
8 for right
9 for hazards
0 for lights off

Ctrl+ F9 to F12 are just more empty spaces you can use for binds ala F1 toF8.

Also, if you check in your doc folder under keys.pdf, you will find a more complete list of the keyboard binds.
That being said, I haven't mapped any turn signals into my 6 button wheel. I need my handbrake and horn!

Double beaten to it!
#9 - Gunn
Since so many people disagree on what a turn signal means during racing it is perhaps best never to use them at all. If someone needs to pass you then they can do that by themselves. Under a blue flag just hold your normal line through corners and stay to one side on a straight and they can find their way past without having to quess what you will do. There's no need for swerving to one side or using indicators, in fact many drivers would prefer if you didn't do anything at all, just slow a little on a straight section to let them pass easily.
Quote from Gunn :Since so many people disagree on what a turn signal means during racing it is perhaps best never to use them at all. If someone needs to pass you then they can do that by themselves. Under a blue flag just hold your normal line through corners and stay to one side on a straight and they can find their way past without having to quess what you will do. There's no need for swerving to one side or using indicators, in fact many drivers would prefer if you didn't do anything at all, just slow a little on a straight section to let them pass easily.

i usually try to be predictable if i'm being lapped but sometimes when going through flat out kinks or corners like on the main aston straight the lappers will end up nailing me anyways. oh well. thanx for all your help everyone.

speedfreak227
Hmm, not had that before. Have you created a separate profile for LFS? Maybe that'll help.
Control F9 - 12 are auto chat keys just like the regular F1 - 8 and shift F1-8. Scawen included them in patch P to be able to bind them to wheel buttons. Many folks asked for that. That way you have no excuse for not being polite and saying "Sorry" and "Thank you" and "Hi". I noticed now that folks have come back for the patch, that there is a lacking of "sorry" when contact is made. Goes a long way when someone says "sorry" in my opinion.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
its common sense to signal what YOURE going to do not what you think the other driver should do. you dont indicate on the roads to tell people where they should go? illepall
Quote from richy :its common sense to signal what YOURE going to do not what you think the other driver should do. you dont indicate on the roads to tell people where they should go? illepall

if you watch the 24 hours of le mans a lot of drivers actually pull to the right hand side of the mulsane (sp?) straight and signal left. i was just wondering if there is a standard.

i'm not lapped all that often but i was just wondering if there's a protocol.

speedfreak227
Ive never noticed turn signals in enduros myself... Ill have to look out for that next time Im able to catch a race.

MAGGOT
#17 - Gunn
Quote from richy :its common sense to signal what YOURE going to do not what you think the other driver should do. you dont indicate on the roads to tell people where they should go? illepall

It is not uncommon on a highway to see a truck or bus use his turn signal to let you know it is clear to pass. The signal used is the side you are to pass on. This is usually on a road that has one lane running either way. In these cases the driver of the large vehicle is signalling to tell you what you are to do, not what he is going to do.
I go to regular trackdays in my own vehicle.

We are instructed to indicate to show the overtaking car which side to overtake...

e.g. i put my LEFT indicator on, they pass on the left.
Quote from -SE1Z- :I go to regular trackdays in my own vehicle.

We are instructed to indicate to show the overtaking car which side to overtake...

e.g. i put my LEFT indicator on, they pass on the left.

THAT is what i wanted to hear. a rule that's applied on track. i thought that was the way it was done but just wasn't sure.

from now on i'm going with that. i'm pretty sure that's what i've seen in 24 hours of le mans.

speedfreak227
Quote from Gunn :It is not uncommon on a highway to see a truck or bus use his turn signal to let you know it is clear to pass. The signal used is the side you are to pass on. This is usually on a road that has one lane running either way. In these cases the driver of the large vehicle is signalling to tell you what you are to do, not what he is going to do.

well i wouldnt go on the right hand side of a lorry that was signalling right, i would wait until i knew it was ok to pass it rather than someone else being my eyes for me.
In my experience people that can lap you without causing accidents don't need to be pointed where/when they can pass. They'll see what you are doing and anticipate to it. Some other drivers on the other hand think they have the whole road when lapping and crash you off the road no matter if you're just holding your line, moving aside, holding in, signing directions,...

Nevertheless, I usually sign directions when someone on the same lap is coming in at a lot faster pace than I'm running and I don't want to risk an accident by fighting him. It's just to indicate that I'm not going to battle and allow a safe and quick pass. In that case I sign to the side of the road I'm staying at. It's just that without such signals you sometimes just can't figure out what someone's doing in front of you. I've had it happen more than once when I lap/overtake someone the other car appears to go off the racing line to make room, and when you make your move they suddenly cross your track, obviously not aware that you were there. And then of course it's the usual "n00b, wtf are you doing? Ban this moron. Wrecker on the track. He rammed me just to get past. Plz vote"...

Turning indicators are a great way to let the car behind know that you've seen him. Too bad there are two ways of interpretation.

I know that in racing situations you sign to the opposite side of where you are going. I did that initially too in LFS, but most people don't seem to have real circuit experience and didn't really understand what I was doing. So I reverted to using road-style indication. Just sign to the direction you are heading. The other car will soon enough see that you are going that way and stay that way.
#22 - Vain
I usually only see that cars that are being overtaken indicate in which direction they will stay.
Indicate left, stay left.
That is rather practical because that's what we are all used to from motorways.

But it's rather obvious that when you stay to the left and indicate right you want the one behind you to pass right. Though I've never seen that on the track.

Vain
Quote from speedfreak227 :THAT is what i wanted to hear. a rule that's applied on track. i thought that was the way it was done but just wasn't sure.

from now on i'm going with that. i'm pretty sure that's what i've seen in 24 hours of le mans.

speedfreak227

I'm sure you realise, that if you do use that technique (or in fact any signalling) and you're still taken out as a result of a misunderstanding you won't be any less at fault for the crash because there is no one standard agreed way in LFS to do this. The safest possible way to getting lapped is slowing down and holding your line without indicating, it's dead obvious and the most logical thing a passing driver should be looking for (IMO).

Good racing!
#24 - JTbo
Quote from Vain :I usually only see that cars that are being overtaken indicate in which direction they will stay.
Indicate left, stay left.
That is rather practical because that's what we are all used to from motorways.

But it's rather obvious that when you stay to the left and indicate right you want the one behind you to pass right. Though I've never seen that on the track.

Vain

Once I was on trackday and I was lot faster with my grandpa Volvo than Sierra front of me so he move aside and blinks wrong way, imo. It is near half way of that 15MB clip. That is quite tricky place as it is downhill braking to corner, so needed to kill speed quite fast when saw that move :P

Once I got race car almost into trunk as I was closing to that chicane near end of lap and did not slow down enough, just lifted a bit of throttle at straight to let him pass, so when I started to brake he was not quite ready, luckily good brakes. Lesson of story, give space after turn not before, before turn keep your speed, pace and lines, car behind will know what you are do and after turn move as normally at exit and start blinking towards direction where you are moving.

Once I was on track with Superbikes, man I felt slow, but they just say that I should keep driving and not giving space or anything, much safer.
#25 - Vain
I like to see someone indicate in front of me because that way I know that
a) the driver has noticed me and
b) the driver expects me to do the pass now.
No matter the direction the driver before me indicates, the situation is safer than without indication, because we both know what the other driver will do. I know he will slow down, he knows I'll pass. No uncertainty.
If you're completely undecided wether to indicate left or right, just use the hazzard lights.

Vain

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG