The online racing simulator
LFS Netcode explained?
(4 posts, started )
LFS Netcode explained?
Can anyone explain to me how LFS is pretty much the only game that i know of, which doesn't lag YOU, but just the others? You get my drift.. i used to race even with 56k, and never did i noticed that my inputs and my car, suffers from internet connection, you know, it's always like driving offline, the lag and the connection influences only the other cars.
How does that work? How come in every other game I lag too.. for example in PES, if it lags, my players will not react to my inputs instateonusly, in shooters, your aiming can become stuttery and not precise, etc...
What's LFS secret really, why don't all games work like this?
LFS doesn't use any kind of complex send -> acknowledge -> confirm system, meaning the client doesn't have to wait for the server's response to execute the issued actions. All clients continuously send position updates, at a fixed interval but also when input changes, whichever applies at any given step. The receiving end (the server) will always re-distribute the most recent update it has available, possibly flagged as lagging if the packet exceeds a certain age.

As a result, your local simulation is always running at 100Hz (tyres at 2000Hz) and your input is as "real time" as this stepping allows, regardless of network latency.

Of course, only Scawen can explain the exact inner workings, but that's basically how it is (or how I think it is and am reasonably certain of).
Quote from morpha :LFS doesn't use any kind of complex send -> acknowledge -> confirm system, meaning the client doesn't have to wait for the server's response to execute the issued actions. All clients continuously send position updates, at a fixed interval but also when input changes, whichever applies at any given step. The receiving end (the server) will always re-distribute the most recent update it has available, possibly flagged as lagging if the packet exceeds a certain age.

As a result, your local simulation is always running at 100Hz (tyres at 2000Hz) and your input is as "real time" as this stepping allows, regardless of network latency.

Of course, only Scawen can explain the exact inner workings, but that's basically how it is (or how I think it is and am reasonably certain of).

It's been explained before and I am pretty sure that is accurate.
-
(dawesdust_12) DELETED by Bob Smith : drivel
-
(PoVo) DELETED by Bob Smith : drivel
-
(logitekg25) DELETED by Bob Smith : drivel

LFS Netcode explained?
(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG