The online racing simulator
Car Width vs. Handling
(32 posts, started )
So if there's one thing I've taken from all of this, it's that handling is some sort of voodoo black magic but seriously, I actually understood the majority of that, and I guess I mostly got the answer I was looking for...

But tristan said something that got me to thinking ("Wider track will result in more grip at that end (or overall if both are increased) due to reduced load transfer")... It makes intuitive sense, but I can't figure out the math behind it... anyone have a concise explanation or a good link?

And also does that mean that older street cars, which generally have a narrower track, are at a distinct disadvantage when they race against their more beefy modern equivalents in club racing? as they do frequently, built to the same rules.
Knowing that I might be epically wrong here, here's what I think is the reason. I attached a picture of a narrow and wide track car. The green dot which tries so hard to be in exactly in the middle of the wheels is the original CoG, the blue dot is the shifted CoG. CoG shift in both cases is caused by the same cornering force Fs. It is apparent that in the narrow track car is the shifted CoG much closer to the outer tyre, leaving the inner tyre practically unloaded, thus reducing the overall force in can transfer to the road.
(and yeah, mspaint sucks )
Attached images
cogshift.jpg
Almost right MadCatX, I'm way too lazy to explain it with math and stuff though.
The CoG shift is actually not that apparent at all, only body roll causes a (minor) CoG shift, but even a vehicle with no suspension will experience load transfer without body roll. It's basically torque acting at the CoG, not moving the CoG.
Quote from MadCatX :The green dot which tries so hard to be in exactly in the middle of the wheels is the original CoG, the blue dot is the shifted CoG.

im afraid epically wrong it is
well as rasmus pointed out youre kinds right in that the cog does move a little with roll but for this discussion its better to ignore that tiny effect and concentrate on what actually makes up 99% (number pulled right out from where the sun doesnt shine) of the effects from cornering forces

Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :But tristan said something that got me to thinking ("Wider track will result in more grip at that end (or overall if both are increased) due to reduced load transfer")... It makes intuitive sense, but I can't figure out the math behind it... anyone have a concise explanation or a good link?

well first of all lets look at what a cornering force does

first we have a frontal view of the car... the cornering foces push on the tyres and the cog is somewhere above that point of attack resulting in a torque round the cog

next lets look at what happens to a body rotating round a point (think the cog of the car) with a torque acting on it at that point supported at 2 points at different distance from that rotational joint
obviously the force acting in the case 2 with the support further away from the roation point is lower

this means that with a wider car the force acting on the suspension under the same cornering load is smaller
which also means that effectively the same suspension settings will result in a larger roational stiffness
and most importantly load shifting will be reduced

and with a reduction in load shifting you will cause a reduction of the effects of load sensitivity resulting in overall improved grip
Attached images
1.png
2.png
EDIT: Goddammit, I should have actually read your post before replying.

If I got it right, the M = r x F causes a lower force to act on a suspension leading to a more equal tyres load? That was kind of what I meant, I just didn't explain myself well...
cool. thanks guys I understand it now
Quote from MadCatX :If I got it right, the M = r x F causes a lower force to act on a suspension leading to a more equal tyres load? That was kind of what I meant, I just didn't explain myself well...

at least initially until you figure out that the car has more grip and take corners faster restulting in a higher roll moment and higher load shifting again

Car Width vs. Handling
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG