The online racing simulator
Need your feedback - League concept
Hello fellow racers !

I need your help and feedback about a little league concept I've had, to see whether it may find decent echo within the community, and whether it is worth considering starting the project. I'll try to keep very simple so that you can see the outlines of the project, and as such provide me with your enlightened insight about it.

If I can summarize it in a few words the league would be themed after a Sports Car Owners Club

How would that league work ? Basically, instead of having races for points like other leagues are doing so well, the score would be determined by credits.

What are credits and how would they fit in the concept

Basically, credits allow you to do 2 things :
- Buy cars.
- Buy upgrades for the cars.

Buying cars and upgrades ? What do you mean?!

When they register for the league, the drivers will be given a specific amount of credits. For the sake of the example, let's say that amount is £40,000.

They will specify which car they decide to buy, and the garage set up will be the following :
- The available cars will be : XRT, FXO, RB4, LX4, LX6, RAC, FZ5.
- Each car will have a specific price tag (TBOs will be less expensive than LRFs).

The setups for the cars will be restricted, and based on road-legalish setups, feeling like a brand stock car freshly out of the retailer

Members of the league will be able to purchase upgrades for the cars. What does that mean ?
It means, that, in exchange of part of their credits, they will be able to modify their setups.

However ! The modifications allowed on the setups will be very restricted. Which means that instead of buying the ability to modify your setup, you will only be able to buy "parts" with specific setup settings.

Example time ! You have been given £40,000 for joining the Sports Cars Owners Club. With that amount you decide :
- to buy an XRT : -£27,000.

You do have £13,000 left on your account. You are unsatisfied with the XRT's suspension system. Indeed, the stock setup has got the following values (let's reduce the example to the rear suspension).
Stiffness : 30
Bump : 2.5
Rebound : 5.5

You would like to improve your car. As such, you would pay credits for having a better suspension system. For example, there will be two choices
- Suspension A : Stiff : 50 / Bump : 3.5 / Rebound : 7.2 / Price : £3000
- Suspension B : Stiff : 70 / Bump : 4.5 / Rebound : 9 / Price : £5500

As such, the different setups will be standardized, and the upgrades on them as well.
This would apply to many different setup options, but to keep things "simple" we would package the upgrades. (example : suspension, tires, differential and gearbox, etc...)

Alright, I get it you want to make me pay, but how do I earn credits ?

It's very simple ! The credits will be earned through attending and participating in the different events organized by the SCOC !

Each venue will be based on a "trackday", which is quite a lengthy event (around 3 hours). Gladly, the event is broken down in different activities :
- Show off your car : Park it and let the drivers admire your painting.
- Multiclass racing : All cars are welcomed in the event and compete against each other. Fortunately, we will have ways to balance the TBOs and the LRF to an extent at the beginning of the league.
- Class-based racing : The classes will be determined by the number of credits spent into a car. So, for example, both people who spent £40,000 but differently (on different cars and setups) will be in the same class, while people who have borth spent £80,000 will be together in another class.
- Special event/feature event : We plan to have each layout unique and allow for special event. Should it be A-to-B duels, Drift, competition, Enduro, each venue will have a very special flavour.
- Advertising event : We will gladly invite different well-known LFS teams to showcase their skills in specific events.

Depending on your rank on each event, you will be given credits. We plan on making this system quite casual, so that everyone is able to get credit for his/her participation.

What is the goal of this ''league" ?

Our goal is to create a socializing event for LFS, where not only players can get to know each other, but can also create connection with their machine over the long run, building themselves a reputation, and so forth !

How often will the SCOC trackdays take place ?

Since it requires quite a lengthy organization, we plan on having a venue per month to begin with. This leaves us time to register each person's wallet and garage, as well as creating interesting layouts to have each event unique, while still reducing the load on the schedule of our busiest members.

Time to post your thoughts !

We will appreciate any criticism, positive or negative, as long as it remains constructive !
We would rather have you debate on the concept itself rather than about logistical issues, as if this idea appeals to players, we will find solutions to make it possible.

Thank you for your attention !
Sounds too much Grand Turismo-ish to me. But well, why not, could be interresting if you ever get it real. At least the project is original to say the least.

That said the whole thing sounds so damn complicated IMO, it'd represent an enormous amount of work, at the end of the day what people want is bring the cars on the road and race.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Sounds too much Grand Turismo-ish to me. But well, why not, could be interresting if you ever get it real. At least the project is original to say the least.

That said the whole thing sounds so damn complicated IMO, it'd represent an enormous amount of work, at the end of the day what people want is bring the cars on the road and race.

Thank you for the time you've taken !

I am conscious about the weight of the organisation needed to make it work, which is why the events would be planned once a month to begin with.
Additionnally, I want to make sure some people are interested (hence this thread) before I get into organizing such an ambitious project.
Look at what's clearly popular on LFS server's right now. Cargame.nl and Cruise it appears.

Think about why:
Hardcore racers don't care much about points, building up a career, MMO exP, just pick-up and race the car you want, maybe some league racing away from noobs. I can understand this point of view. Most of them have left until LFS is updated again later. (Yes I am generalising, but you have to when looking at large numbers)
What you have left is more casual players, wanting to 'work' for some goal, acheivements and rewards, to fill the void that no new content has left - trying to sqeeze every ounce from the LFS experience so to speak. So they gravitate towards the multi-class and cruise servers keeping them most popular.

Do you think the first inSim programmers (think of he who made lapper) did it because he thought it would be popular, no - he did it because he wanted to do it. You should do something because you want to do it, that way if it fails you have still achieved what you want. If you are doing it to hope it is popular and it fails then you will be dissapointed.

As the saying goes, 'build it and they will come'.

edit: I know I have not helped much, but I think it's hard to guage popularity of something before it is done. Many who are in the forums now don't even play LFS now, many who are in LFS don't even read these forums. It may be hard to get a real picture of what will be popular, that's why I wrote a worst case scenario.

edit2: maybe make a lite version to help understand how popular it would be? It would be a shame to do months of work coding, organising, etc, and no-one joins. Think minecraft.
My advise to you is to plan your league to require a minimal of overhead. Trying to do a "professional" job with the workload involved in "scrutineering" the setups would be difficult, so i'd suggest going the other way and finding a friendly bunch who dont take it too seriously and therefor have less inclination to cheat. The alternative is to develop software tools to do most of the graft for you.

I've had a quite different concept which shares a couple of similarities with your idea for some time, i've started coding control software for it a few times but never had the enthusiasm to finish because I know that if I did finish the software i'd have to run the league - and that actually doesnt appeal to me anymore because i've done it before and I know how much stress it is! I swore if I did another league i'd get all the software done first so it would run itself.

The other thing i'd highlight is that if there is prizes for finishing first on performance then the guys who do that early will get the better cars and run away with it. So I would avoid awarding "credits" to a race victor unless you're doing it in a 24/7 pickup server / mass player model.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG