The online racing simulator
[InSim]Fuel
(19 posts, started )
[InSim]Fuel
I really need fuel status in InSim. In rFactor and few other simulations it is built in. That would be really big innovation because we (programmers) can do more calculations by fuel. For example we can group the lap times by fuel and 10%-40% of tank and more.......

Maybe in MCI packet somewhere or NLP....
What do you mean by fuel status? You can get pretty accurate fuel reading through OutGauge which can be used to do all sorts of fuel calculations...
You can get fuel through outgauge, but it is not shared over the system; ie - you would need each player to connect to your specific outgauge application. I don't think it should be added to InSim for security reasons alone, what if I don't want people knowing my fuel usage? There is a reason F12 while spectating a car besides 'yours' doesn't show fuel.
#4 - amp88
Other drivers fuel level should never be reported through InSim. Yes, it would be nice to know the level to do calculations on it, but it's hidden for a reason.
Hmm... Showing fuel status for others users - no, not this.

I wonna have fuel status for each player because I'm going to do few events with eco driving.

Second reason is saving PB's for races on server. Car with full fuel tank is a little bit slower so it's not good when in quali some drivers have 3% of fuel and some have 90% because it's needed for race.

It will help organizers to make more realistic events. No refuelling between qual and race.
There's no way to do it as LFS doesn't report fuel to servers or other clients.
You can do this quite easily by creating some OutGauge app which all participants would have to use. That app would gather whatever fuel statistics you'd like and save it to a file. Each player would send you that file when the event is over. Not exactly super-convenient, but it should work just fine.
I have that application. It's sending live (every 5 seconds) fuel status to my DB but not everyone will install soft.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :There's no way to do it as LFS doesn't report fuel to servers or other clients.

Yes it does.
Uh.. I was sure it didn't report it to the server. LFS doesn't to individual clients..

I've been known to be wrong.
Quote from morpha :Yes it does.

I wonder what the TCP / UDP network packet data is ...
Quote from Dygear :I wonder what the TCP / UDP network packet data is ...

Well I figure it's probably not the best idea to discuss here, but the 68-byte position packet does contain a lot of useful information not accessible via InSim. As I said, though, I'm just not so sure Scawen / the Devs / the Mods will appreciate a discussion of this nature, seeing as it exposes a vital component of client <-> server communication.
A big 10-4 on that buddy.
You pair of big daft cocks.

Regardless of weather Scawen will do anything about it for the next patch, hiding that bit of info is incredibly stupid as you're creating a scenario where some people know more than others and it can be exploited.
So you suggest that rather than hiding such info from everyone who is not familiar with packet sniffing and analysis Scawen should just let everybody know how much fuel there is in your car? Why not take it even further then and for example let people to save setups from hotlap replays.
If someone is smart enough to figure out the way of getting fuel levels from position update packets, I think he kind of deserves to have this advantage.
So because someone is "smart enough" (which you need not be, it's not exactly rocket science) (no offence to the miserable nerds doing such activity) (and yes, I am qualified to call people nerds as I intend to some day actually have a degree in computer science) he should be allowed to cheat? Admittedly, an interesting viewpoint.

So putting that theory in practice you should be allowed to rob a bank if you discovered the wall, behind of which the safe lies, has a hole in it?
I'm not going to argue about the level of "smartness" one has to have to get some info from the position packets - I admit it's not all that difficult, but there is like what, 10 people on this forum actually capable of doing that?

Anyway, if I were to follow your comparison to a bank robbery, you're suggesting that rather than trying to secure the money so that some pretty good planning would be necessary to get your hands on the money, it shouldn't be secured at all so that anyone could steal it?
Quote from hyntty :So because someone is "smart enough" he should be allowed to cheat?

So putting that theory in practice you should be allowed to rob a bank if you discovered the wall, behind of which the safe lies, has a hole in it?

Yeah, because security through obscurity has worked so well for Microsoft. It's the most secure operating system in the WORLD! But seriously, I'm naturally curious by nature. It's intriguing to see what details LFS shares with it's clients because it gives a much greater view of the play field.

Quote from MadCatX :but there is like what, 10 people on this forum actually capable of doing that?

Aw, shucks.
Quote from MadCatX :but there is like what, 10 people on this forum actually capable of doing that?

you'd be surprised what people can do if they have the right information...

[InSim]Fuel
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG