The online racing simulator
Dajmin's Charity Gaming Marathon Thread
(7 posts, started )
Extra Life 2010
I expect some of you will already know about this event, but figured I've nothing to lose by pimping it on here as well.

I've signed up to take part in a 24-hour gaming marathon on October 16th in aid of children's charity Extra Life. This year, the money is all going towards the Children's Miracle Network, a network of 170 hospitals which research and treat kids diseases. They're not insisting that you do the 24 hours in one sitting, but I will be anyway because I'm f*cking hardcore and won't stand for pussying out when I commit to something

If you can spare a few quid, please drop by my donation page here:
http://bit.ly/dajmincmn

Just remember the donation amounts are in US Dollars (god damn them), but it is a the RHSC in Edinburgh that my donations will be going to.

I also plan on keeping the world informed about my progress via Twitter:
twitter.com/dajmin

Not sure what games I'll be playing yet, but with 4 platforms to choose from I'm like a cross-eyed frog - I never know which way I'm gonna jump.
Just under a week to go now, so please donate what you can. I'm still a way off my target amount.

Yes, it's not going to be quite as much of a struggle as running a marathon, but nor does it cost me any money to train up or buy shoes or whatever. And being diabetic, not running a marathon is far safer

http://bit.ly/dajmincmn
Play games. Heal kids. What's not to like?
Don't really know about that, In 24 hours you could do alot more volunteering at a homeless shelter, Donating goods, Or just generally being helpful.

Gaming and *Hoping* this charity gives people money (Why not just give them the money anyway, What is this some backwards Play To Pay?)
I do not donate to the richest company on Earth or their "heal only the ones we like" faithpitals.

Personaly i'm in favour of Churches having their charity status being stripped away, especially as their actual charity work is seperately funded, and doubly so because their charity work is littered with too many caveats.

Do it for MS Trust or another charity which doesnt waste its income on "administration" and i'll dip into my purse.

Best of luck.
The charity may have been started by the Osmonds, but as far as I know the church has nothing to do with the organisation, which is run non-profit. And I didn't choose it, the organisers of Extra Life (SarcasticGamer.com) chose it.

And you can't complain about religion being a barrier and then not donate because you don't agree with the religion. Even if it was the Holy Trinity Church of Total God-Botherers & Harcore Devout Jesus-Lovers I'd still do it as long as the money was going to a worthy cause. And I think research for sick and dying children is fairly worthy.
Quote from Dajmin :I didn't choose it

*scratches head* You where just following orders? *boggle*

Quote :And you can't complain about religion being a barrier and then not donate because you don't agree with the religion.

Yes I can. I absolutely can.

Quote :Even if it was the Holy Trinity Church of Total God-Botherers & Harcore Devout Jesus-Lovers I'd still do it as long as the money was going to a worthy cause. And I think research for sick and dying children is fairly worthy.

When I do any charity work or fund raising I ask to see the charities public published financial breakdown - it's the law they have to publish them and show where their money is being spent.

If the finances are over complicated (hiding something) or show disproportionate administrative costs, don't bother.

With religious charities though they can funnel money off to the church and as the church is a registered charity (the arch bishops needs his 2 palaces after all) it appears as a legitimate expense.

You put your money where you like, i'll put mine where I like. I do make charity donations, my favoured is MS Trust (8-10% administrative overhead).

Beg me to give money to the richest landowner in the country however, and i'll make posts like this.
The actual 24 hours was easy enough (and I did 27 to make up for tea and food breaks) but I'm suffering for it today after going 9am Saturday to 11pm Sunday without sleep. Too old for this, obviously. I hit my $150 target, which isn't quite enough to get me a free t-shirt but that was what I wanted.

At last count the event had made the charity (unfounded paranoia not applying) $417k, which isn't too bad for a few thousand people and more than the last 2 years combined. The donation window doesn't close until November 15th, so there's still plenty of time to get some more cash in.

Which you can do at http://bit.ly/dajmincmn

Dajmin's Charity Gaming Marathon Thread
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG