The online racing simulator
Those using pre-patch setups
(26 posts, started )
I am noticing a lot of people saying that can't lap as fast post-patch, as they could pre-patch.

Not only have some of the cars been tweaked (only a little, I made a list somewhere recently in this forum) , but if you are using pre-patch setups you will lap alot slower.

I had the same, pre-patch I was lapping KY Nat in FXO easily sub 2:00 times, post patch with the same setup I would struggle to break 2:03, and seeing as the FXO has only been handicapped with an 8kg increase thought this was to much.

I noticed the tyres now deform a lot more, and thought this may be a reason for the time difference, low and behold I added 10psi all round, and I was back lapping sub 2:00 again.

So if you are using old sets, try pumping the tyres up, as I dont think the "low pressure" exploit is a gimme any more.

Dan,
Yeah, not only that you'll need a much looser set - mine all understeer to hell now. Also needed less downforce on the FOX, since more mechanic grip made up for it.
it's abvious that any good pre-patch setup will understeer in the new patch...

bob, if you're planing to update your setups , let us know pls..it would be good to have them again since that's what i been using until now.. many thx.
#4 - Mogar
Quote from Bob Smith :Yeah, not only that you'll need a much looser set - mine all understeer to hell now. Also needed less downforce on the FOX, since more mechanic grip made up for it.

So, in this new patch the suspension need to be softer than the previous patch ?
i got better time with same setup with XFR gtr in AS club
It all depends, My xfr sets all work perfect if not better than before, even though I mostly use the same set for all the combos but thats fine.

The fxo though....it's like driving on mud, hated it, but I suppose I gotta get used to it tonight.

Btw, has the UFR ot faster? I was racing XFR and UFR on AS North and when I cought some UFR's they kept up well on the straight and wern't as easy to get past on the straighs, if so, thats cool.
Quote from silent_wind :it's abvious that any good pre-patch setup will understeer in the new patch...

bob, if you're planing to update your setups , let us know pls..it would be good to have them again since that's what i been using until now.. many thx.

I don't think easy race setups are needed anymore... Road goings could be nice though.
Quote from Bawbag :It all depends, My xfr sets all work perfect if not better than before, even though I mostly use the same set for all the combos but thats fine.

The fxo though....it's like driving on mud, hated it, but I suppose I gotta get used to it tonight.

Btw, has the UFR ot faster? I was racing XFR and UFR on AS North and when I cought some UFR's they kept up well on the straight and wern't as easy to get past on the straighs, if so, thats cool.

nooo... its xfr that got slower
Quote :I am noticing a lot of people saying that can't lap as fast post-patch, as they could pre-patch.

All cars with slick tires are (a lot) faster now.
I do not know for the road ones...Some looks to be slower now, but it is hard to know exacly after only few days of practice
FXO has changed quite a bit, tyres at the right pressure give a lot more grip than before.

I must confess I havent really driven anything other than the TBO class since the patch, so it may or may not to be the same case for slick equipped race cars.

Dan,
I spent ages last night autocrossing the LX6 with tire pressures at 22psi (I think that's the default), then put them up a few and it felt a lot better. I know it's different with autox than circuit racing, but more pressure certainly helped there...

Does anyone have any ideas for ideal tire pressures for any cars on circuits in LFS now?
This early on, I doubt it. It took me months to get used to all the nooks and crannies in the P patch physics.
So far, I've been mostly in the FZR and a short stint in FOX at SO Long. All my FZR sets work almost flawlessly (WE1, KY2, KY3, and AS3) as well as my FOX/SO Long set. I only had to do very minor tweak to loosen the back end up a bit. 2nd lap on every track since patch has been a PB by at least 2 seconds. KY3 was 6 or 7 seconds.

The thing I noticed is, I'm just an average racer. I usually only finish mid-field against full servers like I've seen this weekend. Now, I've been finishing top 5 to top 3. Is the patch going to tighten up the difference between the "fast" guys and the "average" guys? In Q, the fastest was a very loose setup, too loose for us average guys, therefore, we weren't competetive at all with the fast guys. Will the WR sets be a little more toward the neutral side now (not neutral, still some looseness, but not as extreme)? That would be fantastic because I think it was very unrealistic how loose the fast sets were in patch Q.
It's certaintly possible that the new physics will level out the field a little, and make racing closer, but as Bob says its going to be a while before we can figure out optimum settings for things like tyres.

I just hope that many of the setup expliots (extremely low pressure tyres for one) that have been prevelent will now dissapier and the setups become more real, but its going to take time for this to become apparent.

Over the weekend I must have done well over 100 laps of Ky Nat in the FXO tweaking my set for tonights ESL race, and its looking good, tyre pressures now have to be more realistic, none of this 16psi BS, camber angles are also looking more realistic.

Time will tell, but for now the new physics could be a great leveller.

Dan,
I'm seeing little difference from pre to post patch, however, I always ran a good amount of tire pressure. I guess I'm not noticing the hit some of you guys have gotten being used to the lower pressure settings. I never liked them myself as it subtracted a bit from handling crispness.

My cars are generally set quite neutral and remain feeling that way post patch, although, car feel through force feedback has changed quite a bit. I guess for minor things, I see temps rising slower and tires seem a little more prone to rolling over(excess outside wear/heat up) than before.

I've noticed some of my sets feeling really bouncy now, especially my RB4 say on Sound City. The whole thing will hop sideways. It did before actually, noticably, but you can really feel it now through the improved FF. Oddly, it seemed to stop bottoming out at the end of the long back straight when you head down the hill and into the right hander. It bounces but doesn't seem to actually bottom out like it did previously...not sure what to say there. I actually had to raise it up a little before to prevent it from getting unsettled but now I don't, although I'm still way stiff for Sound City.

I'm not much of a hard core racer, so I'm sure I'm missing the finer variations, but I can only say good things so far about the new patch. If anything, I think it actually highlights flaws that were in your old sets as you can really feel chassis movement and tire behavior now, so much more than before. If there was a flaw or an area you could improve on, you can really find it now.
Being somebody who preffers an understeering car (just call me Alonso! ) I actually went quicker strait out of the box, but tweeking the car setups has enabled me to go even faster. I still can't drive anyone elses setups though, although other people are finding my understeering Fox is easier to drive than pre patch.

I'm still in two minds as to whether it is satisfying to be beaten by somebody using my own setup !
#17 - Gunn
I don't know what kind of pre-patch setups people are using, but all of my pre-patch sets have yielded PBs in every car on every track I've tried.
I like oversteery setups for FWDs, my pre-patch set for XFG was a bit too oversteery though. I lowered it a bit, increased tire pressures and loosened up the rear ARB. Result? Waay too much understeer even at optimal tire temps. I still haven't cured it, bloody annoying as both pre- and post-patch sets now aren't the best to drive I definitely didn't become faster with either.
Quote from Becky Rose :Being somebody who preffers an understeering car (just call me Alonso! ) I actually went quicker strait out of the box, but tweeking the car setups has enabled me to go even faster. I still can't drive anyone elses setups though, although other people are finding my understeering Fox is easier to drive than pre patch.

I'm still in two minds as to whether it is satisfying to be beaten by somebody using my own setup !

I make my own sets as well, and to be honest it's kinda poetic if someone beats you with your setup . . . kinda backhanded compliment.

Although I must admit that if I give my setups out I might adjust the downforce or lower the tyre pressure slightly. Can't be having to many people wipping my arse now can we . . . .

TBH, most of my sets seem to have operated in 'T' form quite well. As a mouser my sets have to be good in the control front anyway (With very little in the way of exploite settings) so maybe compared to the loose WR sets my setups grant me a small advantage with the new physics.

other than stiffening the suspension, increasing tyre pressure and reducing down force my sets seem to be performing very well. Surprisingly will in fact. Hopefully after some more driving I can really get to grips with the minutae and get some good times going . . .
My fav car\track is FZR n Blackwood.

Pre patch - 1.08.81
post patch - 1.07.50

Same setup, bigger smile
My XRT on Blackwood.

Pre-patch: 1:23.79
Post-patch: 1:25.09

Same setup, more understeer.
Has anyone raced with all the FXR, XRR AND FZR in one field? quite interested how they compare especially when they have taken -10kg of the fxr. I doubt it wold make that much of a difference.

mad
Not raced, but in terms of setups the GTRs seem quite unaffected by the new physics - only minor tweaking required.
Did a lot of driving at as national, found myself passing fxr's as if they were stuck in fourth. They were all running out of steam at the end of long strights.
I think this was down to the big improvements to the xrr, I've picked up 2 seconds on my pb thanks to the patch.

The turbo no longer kicks the back end around, it has greater stability under braking and rotates better while in a bend.

It was a real pig but now people might want to drive it.

I saw a lot of pb's being broken at as n. In general I think the patch is helping average drivers more than the aliens.

Maybe I got lucky And the setup I was running suited the new patch.
It felt a lot better without any tweeks and I could tell it wanted to go faster, the changes were a click here and there nothing drastic.

Heres hoping the alieans wont brake 1:40 but with them anything is possible.
Well, all my sets seem to be screwed

Managed to make a new pb on as nat with fzr but the handling was... got tired after few laps and switched to XRR (With even worse set )

(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG