The online racing simulator
Making my own skin, can't get it to show inside LFS.
Hey everyone! ,

I'm in the process of creating my FIRST ever skin, and well, it's also my FIRST ever post on the forums!

So that everyone knows, I have the Demo version, and I read that you can download a program so that while editing skins, you can quickly open up the program to make sure that your skin looks good rather than spending a few extra seconds to load LFS itself. I'm also pretty good at using google to find the info I want, so as you read, for a newbie, I'm JUST ABOUT up to speed with the way things run, work, etc etc etc.

I've been spending hrs today learning how to skin car's on my own, Here is what I have learnt:

That you need a couple of programs, Photoshop, and Templates so that you could work with them.

I already have photoshop, but to start with, I was editing a copied Default Skin with the .dds extension, I learnt soon after that that's not the way to do it, hence the need for templates.

So've got myself some templates from http://www.barkingpig.org/msz/pages/kits.php, and I'm working on my own design for the FBM, I'll upload my progress later, probably in the working progress skins section on the forums. I've also read the Readme for the Template so I know what I'm doing, I have also been using YouTube Vids to help assist my way with photoshop.

Here's the query:

I have saved the skin in .jpg, and I have also reduced the 1024x1024 pixel's as directed with the readme for the template for anti-lag purposes, but I've run into a dead end.

How do I actually get the skin to actually show in the game? I've saved the working progress skin inside the "skins_dds" folder, and I've heard that apparently the as soon as you go to open the skin the game will convert the jpg into dds so that it will show, am I missing out on that one little final info to get the skin to work?

I hope that isn't too much reading for everyone to do.....

Thanks!

Speedy.
Quote from SpeedyED :How do I actually get the skin to actually show in the game? I've saved the working progress skin inside the "skins_dds" folder, and I've heard that apparently the as soon as you go to open the skin the game will convert the jpg into dds so that it will show, am I missing out on that one little final info to get the skin to work?

Save the .jpg in the 'skins' folder. When you load the game, it will automatically convert those .jpgs into .dds (providing they're not already done) and put them in the 'dds_skins' folder.

So, save in 'skins', ignore 'skins_dds'.
and if your playing online make sure you upload your skin to lfs world in the online car skin section.
Thanks Beefyman, did that and it worked like a charm! , I'll post my progress later tonight
Quote from Russ76 :and if your playing online make sure you upload your skin to lfs world in the online car skin section.

What happens if I don't? nobody else can see it?
#6 - amp88
Quote from Russ76 :and if your playing online make sure you upload your skin to lfs world in the online car skin section.

Demo users can't upload skins (at the time of posting SpeedyED is a demo user).

Quote from SpeedyED :What happens if I don't? nobody else can see it?

Yep, no-one else will be able to see it (well, unless they download it and add it to their LFS).
Quote from amp88 :Demo users can't upload skins (at the time of posting SpeedyED is a demo user).

Yep, no-one else will be able to see it (well, unless they download it and add it to their LFS).

yep thats right amp,sorry i didn't look at user type,knew the answer so thought i would chuck my 2 cents in.
Quote from amp88 :Demo users can't upload skins (at the time of posting SpeedyED is a demo user).

So if I purchase S1? :eclipseeh
awww, too bad I've just designed my own helmet! xD
Yes S1 or S2 and you can upload skins
AFAIK demo licence users CAN upload their skins. They just need to buy skin slots. I think its 50 slots for a £1. You can find a link to buy slots in your LFSworld My Online Car Skins section.

For S2 users, they can see a small link called 'increase' next to the number of allowed uploads. Not sure how that screen is presented to the demo licence holders (maybe something like 0 skins uploaded out of an allowed 0). Anyway look for a 'increase' link.

This was brought up in another skin - and the demo-user confirmed that it was now possible to buy skin slots.

E: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1471943#post1471943
ohhhhhhh! well thanks everyone!, the FBM is gonna take a while, but I'll get straight into working out those Skin Slots!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG