The online racing simulator
LFS Keyboard Driving TIP
(34 posts, started )
LFS Keyboard Driving TIP
Dear LFS Keyboard Drivers,

Sometimes when you are driving against the guys, with a nice steeringwheel, and you are there driving with your keyboard... Don't you feel a bit discriminated, when you get kicked or sweared at when you cause a small accident?

Then this MIGHT be a solution.

If you set up your keyboard just like as in the attatched screenshot, then it might be easier to drive with keyboard!

Also look at the attatched replay, on the last lap of -TRR- Rocky7up, and you will see that this setting, on the FO8 even, is a nice combo for fast laps.

Kind Regards,
Team Rock Racing

Walter

UPDATED WITH BETTER ATTEMPT
Attached images
Keyboard Settings.jpg
Attached files
AS2R Keybaord Test.mpr - 125.6 KB - 306 views
Just FYI, this heroic lap would have put you last in the FO8@AS2R hotlap charts. Nice try though
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Just FYI, this heroic lap would have put you last in the FO8@AS2R hotlap charts. Nice try though

I know but it's keyboard you see, I'm just trying to help people
#4 - AMB
It's helpful for those people struggling with keyboard I guess.

But a better solution is to buy a wheel
Quote from AMB :It's helpful for those people struggling with keyboard I guess.

But a better solution is to buy a wheel

Truth, but some don't have the money.
#6 - AMB
Then they should steal their parents credit card and order one, or if they have their own then go mug someone and save.
Quote from AMB :Then they should steal their parents credit card and order one, or if they have their own then go mug someone and save.

No, I've actually never been discriminated for driving a keyboard and yes, I have caused crashes. You just need to learn to drive with keyboard. Just like you need to learn to drive with mouse or steering wheel.

The only place that I was not let in to drive, was a TBO league where they had in rules that it is not allowed to compete with keyboards which is pretty stupid I think. Not all keyboard racers are crashers. There are thousands of people that are worse with wheel and mouse.

Those settings won't help much, everyone needs to drive with their own settings and get use to them. Only because you will give your settings to someone, doesn't mean they will start driving as fast. And that lap you did, is very, very slow even for keyboard racer. It's over 3sec slower than WR + on such an easy and short track with 3 turns. You should be doing 0.5-1sec off WR.
Honestly though, if you can't/don't want to get a wheel, better just stick with mouse. It's just way more efficient. I won't argue about realism though, because if you care about that, wheel is the only option.
I use wheel AND mouse. Gotta say that its easiest to drive with mouse but only with wheel u get the ''feeling''. Also with the wheel u dont have on/off gas and brake.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Honestly though, if you can't/don't want to get a wheel, better just stick with mouse. It's just way more efficient. I won't argue about realism though, because if you care about that, wheel is the only option.

+1, if you just started playing LFS and haven't been doing for too long, you better change or start using a mouse if you don't have a wheel.

But I've been using keyboard for too long, so it would be hard for me to go back to mouse and it would take lots of time to be as fast as I'm with the keyboard.
I want a wheel, but I don't usually like spending money on such stuff that aren't so important for me.
Don't even learn to drive with keyboard. It's utter rubbish If you don't have a wheel, grab a mouse, play with settings for a while and master it. In 2 weeks, you'll be able to drive pretty well with mouse
Quote from rockclan :Truth, but some don't have the money.

Mouse is the seccond best option after a wheel and way to better that keyboard
Quote from Inouva :Mouse is the seccond best option after a wheel and way to better that keyboard

Well from my personal exprerience.

I can't drive for shizzle with Mouse, pretty good with Keyboard, and a bit better with Wheel.

Now I am not the best driver out there, so.
muse (mouse) are still the best for me
#16 - senn
TBH force feedback joystick is a better option than mouse. Not as good as wheel. It's what i used for years before i got my wheel
Best keyboard driver = Steelbeen
Quote from Mango Juice :Best keyboard driver = Steelbeen

Hmm, by looking at his lfsworld.net stats I'm faster than him, but I haven't seen him racing on servers, so I can't judge, but I can definitely say he is not the best, I've seen better.
lol mango juice (mil?) i just wanted to say something similar.

anyways yeah, anyone who thinks that keyboard people suck should come on fox junkies and get owned by steelbeen, a keyboard driver (and very very good one at that).

:-)

disclaimer : im not saying that he is faster than everyone with wheel, but he is easily in top 5% of fox drivers and can race with no problems, doesnt crash etc.
Does anybody remember Goldee? He used to be teh ultimate KB alien.
Quote from zeugnimod :Does anybody remember Goldee? He used to be teh ultimate KB alien.

I remember that name from somewhere, but there is not anything popping up my mind atm.

What I do remember from my S1 DEMO time, is that the best racer around on S1 was someone like NawZ or NaBz?
Never heard.
Quote from rockclan :Dear LFS Keyboard Drivers,

Why are you changing the fast and slow steer multipliers when you don't even have them set up in the controls... :chair:

Anyway, here's mine.
Attached images
Keyboard.jpg

LFS Keyboard Driving TIP
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG