The online racing simulator
Haze effect no longer works
(15 posts, started )
Problem: 'Haze' effect no longer functions. Setting to Yes or No makes no difference, I don't see any haze.

Hardware: Asus A7N8X-E, Barton 3200+, 1Gb DDR400, GeforceFX5900XT 128Mb

Software: WinXP Pro SP2, all updates installed, ForceWare 77.76, LFS S2P2

I'm guessing it's a nvidia driver problem, but before I go through the hassle of trying different driver versions I wondered if anyone else with a similar setup is experiencing the issue?
#2 - ORION
So, when it has worked before, what have you changed?
Quote from ORION :So, when it has worked before, what have you changed?

Unfortunately I've no idea when it last worked, as I've only just noticed that it isn't working now. This is a fresh XP install, the only thing that has changed that would affect it I can think of is the nvidia forceware drivers, which is why I just wondered if anyone else is getting the problem.

Maybe I should re-word the question:

Does the haze effect work for anyone using a GeforceFX5900XT? If so, which forceware driver version are you running?
#4 - ORION
Hm I could test this on my brother's 5900 Ultra, when he allows me to change the driver
I've just done a bit more testing and it seems I'm wrong, the haze effect does still function.

I'm pretty sure I remember it being a lot more noticable than it is now. Might just be my memory playing tricks on me though.

What seems strange is that the effect does seem a lot more noticable in the mirrors. For example, if I sit on the track at SO looking at one of the windmills (for want of the correct word), switching haze on and off makes no difference to my view of the windmill. However, if I spin the car around so I can see the windmill in the wing mirror of my FOX and switch haze on and off I can notice a difference, the blades of the windmill become less distinct. Maybe I'm just going crazy illepall

Is it worth me posting some screenshots, anyone interested?
i notice it only make a difference to the skysphere
Quote from dUmAsS :i notice it only make a difference to the skysphere

Yes, I think that's what I'm seeing too. Except in the mirrors, where it affects the view of trackside objects as well.

I'm pretty sure I remember the effect being a lot more noticable on track, especially on the main Blackwood straight for example, where you can see a long way. It's as if the effect has been turned down for the normal view, but not for the mirrors.

Might just be my memory that's hazy though
i remember when haze was first released in a patch. sitting at the chicane on bl1, the bridge was affected by haze
#9 - ORION
It is still like that, no?
The haze is some kind of fog
Here's a direct comparison of with haze and without.

The haze effect can clearly be seen, even on objects in front of the bridge. Looks like it was just my memory that was hazy all along, sorry for the false alarm, and thanks to everyone who responded.
so...at the example pictures.

left = haze on
right = haze off

am i right?

cause the left pic look more realistic and rellay nice...
didn't noticed this before. i was always wondering, what this haze (Dunst Effekt [ger]) means...

now i know
Quote from CrazyICE :so...at the example pictures.

left = haze on
right = haze off

am i right?

cause the left pic look more realistic and rellay nice...
didn't noticed this before. i was always wondering, what this haze (Dunst Effekt [ger]) means...

now i know

You're right
I just want to make it sure. Do you get more FPS if you set haze off?
#14 - Gunn
If your card supports the function that allows you to use the haze feature then your fps should actually be better with haze on, I think.
Just did a quick test, again sitting in the FOX, but this time from the Blackwood grid. 85fps with haze on, 87fps with haze off.

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG