The online racing simulator
CPU Advice [AMD, Socket AM2]
(29 posts, started )
Quote from GenesisX :My point? It was a question, and had nothing to do with anything. I mean, I wasn't going to say anything, but the motherboards that you posted were running DDR2 because of their AM2+ nature.

that's why i posted them. the OP already has DDR2 and a very tight budget. there is no point even talking about DDR3 because it's just way out of his budget. getting the board i posted will give him the option of unlocking if he so chooses. it will also mean he can use even the AMD Hex core chip if he wanted. AM3 chips are backwards compatible. AM3 boards are not.
Okay, to wrap things up, I just bought an Athlon II X3 455, and it works great, but it's now leading me to a problem:

My computer occasionally/randomly crashes when in use. I have 2 sticks that are different brands/speeds of DDR2 RAM installed, and they are 1GB each. One runs at 533 MHz and another is 667 MHz. I have set the RAM sticks to both run at 533 MHz via the BIOS. I'm supposing the RAM is the issue, that it's too slow to cope with the CPU
Try with 1 stick at the time only for some time.
Hahaha, the midway point. I like it. It is really rare that you'd use such slow RAM on such a good CPU. It probably won't cause a problem, but slow ram is probably bottlenecking the CPU because of lack of memory bandwidth.

The fact that you are using, from the sounds of it, generic - brand RAM doesn't seem like a good idea. I'd suppose that running at least name brand ie. Corsair Dominators, etc, would do you good. Because the RAM is slow enough, the least you can do is run dual channel. That would boost the bandwidth, and you should see a performance gain on top of the new CPU. Stability should also come your way.

I'd say that you should run off one DIMM for now, to see if it is actually the RAM's fault. Still exists, maybe they both are faulty, and maybe go and buy the cheapest name brand RAM there is to double - check. If running just one (either DIMM) isn't the problem, I'd run the better quality one, or if both are generic, the faster one, until you can gather enough money for a set of two DIMMS for dual channel, or an exact replicate of the DIMM you want to run in dual channel.

Hope this helps.

CPU Advice [AMD, Socket AM2]
(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG