The online racing simulator
I'd do it.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :...Nevermind the fact that I've given some perfect reasons why LFS wouldn't work on Mac (I am not giving up my ****ing G25 to use a Momo).

Uh, I don't think that "I'm not giving up my ****ing g25 to use a momo" is a very compelling reason. LOL

I wonder how long we can keep this thread alive whilst repeating the same $#!t everyone else already said.

I'm not saying that a Mac port of LFS is a BAD Idea, I'm just saying that it's a bad idea right now. Scawen is in the middle of making S3, and this is like the WORST possible time for someone to start demanding a Mac version. Again, maybe some time AFTER S3 gets released. a LONG time. Asking windows/DirectX developer to rewrite this game for OS X ( even when they don't know how) is like asking someone who ISN'T Jesus to walk on water.
Quote from ATiRAGEPRO :Uh, I don't think that "I'm not giving up my ****ing g25 to use a momo" is a very compelling reason. LOL

I wonder how long we can keep this thread alive whilst repeating the same $#!t everyone else already said.

I'm not saying that a Mac port of LFS is a BAD Idea, I'm just saying that it's a bad idea right now. Scawen is in the middle of making S3, and this is like the WORST possible time for someone to start demanding a Mac version. Again, maybe some time AFTER S3 gets released. a LONG time. Asking windows/DirectX developer to rewrite this game for OS X ( even when they don't know how) is like asking someone who ISN'T Jesus to walk on water.

Giving up my G25 is the most compelling reason actually. I wouldn't want to go to use a Momo after having a G25 for a few years. I seriously doubt even after S3 that Scawen would port it to Mac anyways. He'd likely much rather do something else.. maybe develop some spreadsheet software so other sims can get their tyre physics right.

A LFS port to Mac is the worst idea I can think of right now.. and I thought about letting a 2 year old child play GTA so she can learn how to kill hookers and drug dealers.
-
(rockclan) DELETED by rockclan
No there won't. Scawen is a DX/Windows developer. What makes you think he'll turn around one day and say "I'm bored, lets port this shit for something to do!".

Right. It won't happen. Telling people that it might happen one day is just a lie.
great job, Rocklan.
Quote from rockclan :

This was the most necessary and informative post I have ever read. the amount of thought that must have gone into this is incredible. I stand in awe of the profound wisdom and understanding of which you convey through these words. Truly you are the [url="javascript:Leibniz()"]G. W. von Leibniz[/url] of our time. Congradulations. You have just won the internet.

[/sarcasm]
Quote from atiragepro :this was the most necessary and informative post i have ever read. the amount of thought that must have gone into this is incredible. I stand in awe of the profound wisdom and understanding of which you convey through these words. Truly you are the [url="javascript:leibniz()"]g. W. Von leibniz[/url] of our time. congradulations. you have just won the internet.

[/sarcasm]

:d :d :d
#32 - Jsm
Quote from Woz :Sigh. I knew once Valve had ported the source engine to MacOS that this would happen. For Mac fans here are some facts.

1) Valve have deep pockets and lots of devs and big customer base.
2) Source engine comes from and is influenced by iD engines which supported OGL etc from the out set.
3) The Valve games running native on Macs in OGL still only get 1/2 framerate of Windows!
4) Apple and hardward makers never bothered to optimize for games as there were no games.
5) I doubt LFS was designed for anything apart from DirectX
6) There is only 1 developer to do the port.
7) Macs are less than 10% of PC market how many would buy LFS?
8) The port is a LOT of work.

Just get over it and dual boot!

Not to mention they have spent the last 3 or 4 years working on (the job advert was posted in late 06 / early 07)
Quote from Woz :Sigh. I knew once Valve had ported the source engine to MacOS that this would happen. For Mac fans here are some facts.

1) Valve have deep pockets and lots of devs and big customer base.
2) Source engine comes from and is influenced by iD engines which supported OGL etc from the out set.
3) The Valve games running native on Macs in OGL still only get 1/2 framerate of Windows!
4) Apple and hardward makers never bothered to optimize for games as there were no games.
5) I doubt LFS was designed for anything apart from DirectX
6) There is only 1 developer to do the port.
7) Macs are less than 10% of PC market how many would buy LFS?
8) The port is a LOT of work.

Just get over it and dual boot!

Some of your facts are pulled out of your ass.

Valve's games get decent FPS in Mac OS and in Windows. There's a recent update (10.6.4) that breaks it a bit, but before that.. performance is near enough.

Apple has always been fine with games.. they've not hindered it.. but now they've seen a demand so they are alledgedly working on bringing support in OSX to be even better.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Valve's games get decent FPS in Mac OS and in Windows.

Not really, check Steam forums, it's full of people complaining about 10 fps in Portal with a GeForce 9400M (which, on Windows 7, gets 50 fps or so). Maybe it's driver issue, tho.
Meh. I got no issue with FPS on my MBP. Within about 10FPS which is a decent enough tolerance for me.
#36 - Woz
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Some of your facts are pulled out of your ass.

Not really. Most of the benchmarks that have been done show MacOS 1/2 speed of same Mac running Windows. Also as others stated people bitching on the forums about not being about to get decent FPS on Mac OS.

That said I believe much is that Apple and the GFX card makers have never bothered to optimise in the same way as Windows as Mac has never been a serious games platform until Steam changed the game.

We will prob see more work in that area narrow the gap but currently believe they are the same if you want. Facts are facts but believe what you want
I have my own benchmarks on my own hardware. OSX runs close enough to Windows for it to not matter.
#38 - Woz
I don't care about your links. In my experience, on both of my Macbook Pro's, Mac and Windows run close enough in performance (about 80FPS in TF2 at 1440x900) that it doesn't matter.
#40 - Woz
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I don't care about your links. In my experience, on both of my Macbook Pro's, Mac and Windows run close enough in performance (about 80FPS in TF2 at 1440x900) that it doesn't matter.

What about if you dual boot windows on your Mac as I doubt your win pc specs match your mac specs?

If your mac performance for steam games is really the same as if you dual booted windows on your mac you must have a magic mac. EVERY benchmark produced by all tech sites show the same pattern of about 50% drop.

Again the drivers might have been tweaked since the steam release and that has narrowed the gap but I expect the difference to take a while to reach parity as OGL also needs some tweaks.
Quote from Woz :What about if you dual boot windows on your Mac as I doubt your win pc specs match your mac specs?

I do dual boot, hence the specs match identically. I don't get your point.

10.6.4 dropped performance severely. I still run 10.6.3 which has good GPU performance in OSX with Steam games. 10.6.5 is rumoured to fix it, and even give better performance.
#42 - Woz
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I do dual boot, hence the specs match identically. I don't get your point.

10.6.4 dropped performance severely. I still run 10.6.3 which has good GPU performance in OSX with Steam games. 10.6.5 is rumoured to fix it, and even give better performance.

Sorry I assumed you meant your PC was a separate pc not dual booted

I am getting the feeling that most of the benchmarks are from just after initial release of steam for Mac. Once Steam games were available on both platforms and the initial benchmarks showed the huge disparity it forced Apples hand.

From what you say it sounds like the have managed to resolve many of the bottlenecks then

I guess before steam there was no real drive for Apple or GPU makers to optimise their code for Mac as there were just not the games for it, or ones that mattered to gamers so here was no direct comparision available between Windows and Mac
Actually no. 10.6.4 made performance WORSE. Not to mention on integrated chips it is still unplayable. I'm still on 10.6.3 (which was at release) to keep the good FPS.

There has been game releases in the past though. COD4, Bioshock, and a lot of others. Its just they were never heavily publicised. They did run well as well though.
#44 - Woz
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Actually no. 10.6.4 made performance WORSE. Not to mention on integrated chips it is still unplayable. I'm still on 10.6.3 (which was at release) to keep the good FPS.

There has been game releases in the past though. COD4, Bioshock, and a lot of others. Its just they were never heavily publicised. They did run well as well though.

What name do you use in TF2. I use Woz, I will keep a look out for you and your in game white earbuds
Quote from Woz :What name do you use in TF2. I use Woz, I will keep a look out for you and your in game white earbuds

Gu3st. That's my steam friends username too.
I only just got Bootcamp working on my Macbook, if I'd seen the error message about defragging one more time I swear I would've shot myself.

All worth it though, I can play at uni now without borrowing someone's PC
I have a spare HD in my Mac Pro with windows on it. VMware fusion can boot it inside OS X or you can boot it as the main os. Turns out LFS plays fine at 1920x1200 with the HD4870 inside vmware fusion and lets me use G27 and play online crowded servers without lagging
I am a mac user. But I would say no to a mac version of LFS simply because given the already slow rate of development, I don't want the dev spend precious time on converting LFS for mac.
You bought a Mac. You knew it was going to be a wasteland when it comes to games.

Live with it.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG