The online racing simulator
game freezes
(64 posts, started )
game freezes
I have a more complex problem with LFS.

I have a Gigabyte Radeon 9600 video card and whenever I drive the BMW, the game freezes after a few laps or corners. The screen displays one frame for more than 10 seconds, and an engine noise lasting for a tenth of a second repeats itself meanwhile. After that, the game returns to normal, but my resolution is set to 800x600 in the background, and window focus is given to the "Send error report to ATI technologies" popup window.

I experienced similar problems very rarely with the FOX car too.

I have tried to turn my firewall off and have also altered several graphical settings of LFS, but nothing has worked so far.

Do you have any experience on this phenomenon?
Quote from Zsolt Nagy :I have a more complex problem with LFS.

I have a Gigabyte Radeon 9600 video card and whenever I drive the BMW, the game freezes after a few laps or corners. The screen displays one frame for more than 10 seconds, and an engine noise lasting for a tenth of a second repeats itself meanwhile. After that, the game returns to normal, but my resolution is set to 800x600 in the background, and window focus is given to the "Send error report to ATI technologies" popup window.

I experienced similar problems very rarely with the FOX car too.

I have tried to turn my firewall off and have also altered several graphical settings of LFS, but nothing has worked so far.

Do you have any experience on this phenomenon?

have you updated to the lastest driver for you gpu?

could you post your Dxdiag?
game freeze
I have run dxdiag, but haven't found anything special after reading the log file (http://cs.bme.hu/~zsnagy/dx/dxdiag.zip).

According to ati.com, the latest radeon driver is Catalyst 6.4. I have installed it yesterday evening, but I still can't complete a lap with the FOX and the Sauber cars, since the screen freezes and the video card resets itself.

I have also experimented with ATI Catalyst and in-game LFS settings, but nothing has worked so far.

I will download an earlier version of Catalyst (5.11) and see what happens.
ATI game crash solution
For ATI users: I have downloaded and installed Catalyst version 5.11 and the game seems to work fine so far. I have raced for around 1 hour, which is a huge improvement compared to crashing in every lap. If the game freezes with this driver too, I will send a message here.

It is a good compromise to use version 5.11 drivers until the problem is fixed.
new game crash
The game froze again with the 5.11 Catalyst drivers too, while the RADEON 9600 PRO was not even warm.

I will drive with a GeForce2 MX 400 until the bug is fixed.
#6 - Palee
Hello Zsolt,

i have the exact same problem.

It just came up since patch S. (and every verison since)

I had the same problem two years ago, (with a different computer) and the problem was that I used 2048x2048 skins. After i started using 1024x1024 skins, the problem had disappeared.

Now i have a 256Mb X700Pro card with to go along with AMD64 3500 to go along with 1G Ram, even using 512x512 skin, 512x512 helmet, and it keeps stucking for 10 secs in every 10 to 15 laps even in hotlapping mode!

So... Something happened in the new release.
Attached files
DxDiag.txt - 48.1 KB - 239 views
i used to have a very similar problem, ill post a link for better understanding, i have a nvidia card however that looks alot like the problem i had, what fixed it was disabling the checkbox in this picture pardon the portuguese but it should be fairly easy to find that checkbox, give it a try
Try opening the case while playing and pointing a desk fan (or similar) at the GPU while you are racing.
#9 - Palee
It would be a great help, if you know people who experience similar problems. We can gather more information this way.

Clearly, the problem lies within the used skins, textures. (and nothing to do with graphical performance)

Yesterday i went with a 256x256 helmet, half-texture on. Had a one and half hour race without any glitch. Though it is great to go without problems this way, it is still an issue have to be dealt with. Using medium sized skins shouldn't be a problem even for a 64 Mb graphic card.
the same problem here too.. and no it's not my OC'ing..i tried without it and the freeze is still there... i've never had an problem before the patches , nor with my all other games that are heavy CPU/GBU demanding too like flight sims , other racing sims and all kinda heavy games...so i DO know it's not my PC..oh , yeah , and it's not overheating
yeah i've been getting freezing and crashing as well... i'm not sure what the cause is... i'm gonna start troubleshooting tomorrow
i think it has somethin to do with online collisions and close racing (whne you have a car insight) especially when the server is hosting a lotta cars , actually i've noticed an overall laggy online after the new patches, plus some crackling.. i had that 10 sec freeze right after 2 cars made contact.. i beleive it's some sort of crapy or lost patckets that causes these freezes...

anyway, im getting desperate now for i been messing up with this shit for quite a while now, my online expericed just got ****ed up and i have no more pleasure to drive, all because of those damn freezes !
Quote from silent_wind :i think it has somethin to do with online collisions and close racing (whne you have a car insight) especially when the server is hosting a lotta cars , actually i've noticed an overall laggy online after the new patches, plus some crackling.. i had that 10 sec freeze right after 2 cars made contact.. i beleive it's some sort of crapy or lost patckets that causes these freezes...

anyway, im getting desperate now for i been messing up with this shit for quite a while now, my online expericed just got ****ed up and i have no more pleasure to drive, all because of those damn freezes !

Hi all this is my first post in this forum.

Exactly the same problem here. I think it started after patch S and happens regularelly ever since

I hope someone resolves this...
i have no clue whats the cause i underclocked my pc and set my gpu fan to 100% and it still happens...

Its really frustrating to have the game just freeze up and crash like this
Quote from Gabkicks :i have no clue whats the cause i underclocked my pc and set my gpu fan to 100% and it still happens...

i told man , it aint the OC'ing.. i have a long experience with OC'ing and im 100% sure it's not it..plus i ran a tons of test before trying to make my PC responsible for anythin, but no, it turned out it aint my PC the cause.. plus all my other games run like a charm, even games that are heavier than LFS concerning resources...
Quote from Gabkicks :i have no clue whats the cause i underclocked my pc and set my gpu fan to 100% and it still happens...

Hi,
It might be also your memory on card got damage somehow and may overheating as well.
Do you have chance to borrow somewhere 2nd graphic card and test it if its definately not the graphic card?
I would do that!
I experience the exact same behaviour you described since version S (and the later versions).
Yesterday was the worst day so far, LFS crashed every few mins, and my PC is not overclocked in any way,
i never had a single crash or freeze of LFS with any of the older versions.
I was racing in South City with FXO (i don´t know if its related, i got freezes on other track/car combos as well, but not so often).

When it happens the screen freezes (showing the same screen all the time) and the sound loops the last 0.5 sec again and again. A few seconds after that the gfx-card is giving no VGA-Signal anymore (Monitor switching to standby-mode) and the PC totally freezes (only reset-button helps)
. On a few occasions my gfx-card seem to recover after a few seconds (maybe due to the ATI-GPU-recovery function in the driver), but mostly the PC totally hangs then.

MY PC:

Athlon XP 3200+ (Barton i think)
ATI Radeon 9500 pro with Catalyst 6.4 drivers (without CCC)
1024 MB MDT DDR400 Memory CL2,5
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Hi,
It might be also your memory on card got damage somehow and may overheating as well.
Do you have chance to borrow somewhere 2nd graphic card and test it if its definately not the graphic card?
I would do that!

my card is fine... every other game runs perfectly its only lfs that does this to me
I have this same problem with freezing lfs.
Just a thought...

I had this same error for the first time ever in LFS yesterday and after reading this thread, I *think* I know why it happened to me. (it may help others also)

Running a P4 3.2
Gigabyte mobo

I went into the bios last night, then hit <ctrl>+F1 to get to hidden menu's.

I changed the 'speed' thing (sorry, at work, cant remember exactly what it was) - basically I could choose on/off - with it on there were 5 settings including... slow, fast, race, flat out.. etc...

I turned it 'on' and chose 'race' .

an hour in, LFS crashed.

I will be changing it back to default when I get home.

Hope this helps someone.
game freeze
Hi all,

I drove two championship events without AGP hardware acceleration and there was no problem with game crashes at all. After installing patch U, I returned to the hardware-accelerated configuration and LFS seems to be running well so far. If a problem occurs, I will report it again.

Zsolt
Hi i´ve got the same problem, but there a little diffrence: My lfs freezes after changing the car a third time ALWAYS. But i doesn´t freeze if i don´t change the car... If i change it two times there is also no freeze. But after the third time *FREEZE*. I can live with it but its annoying... And if it freezed the first time it runs again, but after a short time it freezes again. And then, after 2nd freeze there is not much time to the 3rd freeze... And so on...
it came with the new versions....
i took a can of condensed air to the inside of my pc and and blew all the dust from inbetween the heatsinks and fans of my processor and graphics card. idle temps dropped from 45c to 38c on my gpu. i havent noticed any freezing anymore. i also used drivercleaner to delete all ati stuff on my pc and installed omegadrivers. then i defragmented and ran adaware and spybot.

i havent seen any freezing or crashing sense then...
i think that won´t work for me because my fans are all clean also the gpu and cpu temps are ok my 6600gt has 50°C during gaming and the cpu has got 49°C well thats not perfect but its not too hot.... derfrag will not help me because I have formatted two weeks ago and there are no viruses or troyans at my computer i checked that yesterday...
Quote from Gabkicks :my card is fine... every other game runs perfectly its only lfs that does this to me

idle temps dropped from 45c to 38c on my gpu

Thats useless saying its not my card or PC before you trying as more possibilities as possible.I noticed you clean your dust,cleaned drivers and it seems it now work fine so probably a issue on your side and not LFS as you were trying to show.

Just some programs are more sensitive to your system garbage.I noticed a lot fo guys just install drivers over drivers and install so many demos of games,programs om their PC.Sure your system can then act weird.

I just dont understand how people can make so grabage to their system illepall

Also sometimes not latest drivers mean the best one.Sometimes a combination of chipset,graphic,sound drivers run pretty bad and showing problems just in some special cases.

Its nothing personal.I am just glad your LFS now works again fine.

game freezes
(64 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG