The online racing simulator
Returned to LFS after 4 years, G25 vs G27
I first started playing in 2004 and stopped around 2006
About 2 months ago cleaning out my cupboard I found my old logitech formula virbration wheel.

Plugged it in and downloaded live for speed.
After 2 months of solid racing my wheel stopped functioning

IRL I have always had a manual drivers car, I feel as if I need a realistic racing wheel for the computer for obvious reasons.

So here's my question.

G25 or G27.

What is better at what..?
.eg

Which has the better/stonger or more accurate Force feed back?

Which has the better wheel?

Which has the better shifter both H-pattern and Sequential?

Is there a hand brake leaver?

Do the pedals have force feed back?

Which is less likely to break and what causes them to break?
Quote from FPVaaron :
G25 or G27. - G27 if you can afford it. The G25 is still a VERY good wheel though.

Which has the better/stonger or more accurate Force feed back? - G27. The G27 is also quieter now due to helicoil gears and different motors which improve the feel. The G25 still has fantastic FFB.

Which has the better wheel? - Again, the G27.

Which has the better shifter both H-pattern and Sequential? - Apparently, the G27 has a better feel when using the H-Gate (G25's H-Gate can be moved into another gear by blowing on the gear stick, literally!) and has improved reliability, but the G27 unfortunately loses the sequential feature on the gear column, where as the G25 does have sequential modes on both the shifter and the paddles. The G27 still has sequential paddles.

Is there a hand brake leaver? - No, not on either. It's not hard to hook up your own if it's something you really want however.

Do the pedals have force feed back? - Nope, but they do have different levels of resistance. Brake pedal is pretty firm compared to the lightness of the accelerator for example. This applies to both the G25 and G27, although on the the G27, the pedals have been spaced slightly better for easier heel and toe, and you can adjust the pedals yourself. I can heel and toe on the G25 nicely though.

Which is less likely to brake and what causes them to brake?
- "Break " Well, the G25 does have a common problem of the shifter breaking. Things like loss of Gears is common, and in worst case scenarios, complete failure of the shifter. This can be rectified under warranty though. As for the G27, it has not been out terribly long so I don't know of any common problems with them. However, Logitech have said they have improved the shifter so that it is much more reliable. Hopefully, this is true!

As for the wheel and pedals, these are quite strong on both the G25 and G27, providing you treat them with some respect.

Whichever you will choose, you will be happy. I have had my G25 for almost 3 years now, and I love it. Despite the reliability issues I have had with it, I still do not have the desire to buy a G27. For me, if I was looking to upgrade, I would probably look into the Fanatec Porsche wheels. They are pretty amazing apparently.

I hope I was of some help buddy, and good luck with your purchase!

G27 is just an improved version of the G25. I've had my G25 for 2 years and I race with it every now and then. It has no issues whatsoever, the wheel works great, the pedals all work great, and the shifter works great. It's been an excellent wheel for me.
I had my G25 almost 3 years as well. Still very happy with it (no failures whatsoever, and it has several hundreds of hours of tough physical LFS driving on it ). I am also a frequent user of the sequential gear box when playing Richard Burns Rally etc. Some other games have issues with G27 not being recognized, TDU is one example. So if I was to buy a new wheel (in case of failure) I would choose the G25 again, mostly due to the lack of sequential gearbox in G27. However, as mentioned above, the overall feel, FFB and pedal placement should be improved in the G27, naturally. I take others word for it. If you like more buttons on the wheel itself; G27 offers 6, while G25 has 2. Personally I prefer 2. If price is an issue, the difference is about 1:2 (G25:G27).

Good luck with your decision
Why only these two?
Quote from FPVaaron :logitech formula virbration wheel.

Compared to that everything is better.

I have a DFGT. But I'm no real racer. More a cruiser
have you ever heard about fanatec ? http://www.fanatec.de/ I have the g25, but I think the Fanatec will be my next one.
I must say I prefer the G25 over the G27. ff feels better
Quote from thgombeer :have you ever heard about fanatec ? http://www.fanatec.de/ I have the g25, but I think the Fanatec will be my next one.

Naa, sorry to say,

but im driving now allready for 8 years ( most of the time lfs)
and i did have 12 different wheels.

i started out with some trust wheels. after that a mono ( red) , 1 year later a black mono. after 1 year i dissected to go with a different wheel. so i went to trust-master. the wheel did make me faster but after 2hour of straid playing or for example a 24h race. the wheel was gone. at some point after a 16 hour race , i stopped driving so the wheel coled down. when it was cold i could not turn it anymore.

after a couple different trust master wheels i went back to a logitech.
a g25. its is just a perfect wheel. love it.

then fantec was there with the very very nice pedel set. i just had to try it.
and it you ask me it was a piece of wast. after 2 / 4 weeks i went back to a g25.

im allready thinking about getting a g27. just because the shifter and the buttons are better.

after all these wheels i learned 1 thing. Logitech is way better the the others.
i have the Driving force pro, mono red, mono black, 2x g25. ( just drives great).

Quote from rich uk :I must say I prefer the G25 over the G27. ff feels better

you are indeed correct, but after some time the g27 is better. the g27 last better. after 1,5 year (max) i always buy a new wheel, this is mainly because the the pedels are not as good anymore, and the wheel will have a bigger death-zone. over at the g25 it can be up to 10-5 degree after 1 year.
( i realise that 10-5 degree sounds like nothing because its a 900 degree wheel, but when you drive clean, no drifts, you wont steer more then 180 degree at max, and then its pretty much. it slows you around 2-5 kph on the strait over at ky3, ky2)

the g27 is build in that why that in theory a death-zone is not possible
I buyed g25, because, imo 100 € more is just stupid, because its basicly the same wheel.
Had a G25 and loved it, but broke shifter once and one of the FFB motors, after almost 2 years of use.
I sold it to another LFS racer for parts and bought a G27, i like the feel of the force feedback better, although i have to use a higher FFB setting then what i did with the g25, ex: XFG w/ G25 used about 30-35% in game, and XFG w/ G27 i use 40-45%.
Turning with G27 is smoother then the G25, and not as much noise as the G25.
Its nice to be able to adjust the pedals, just need a allen wrench.
Quote from thgombeer :have you ever heard about fanatec ? http://www.fanatec.de/ I have the g25, but I think the Fanatec will be my next one.

Smart boy. I've had 2 G25's, a G27 and a DFGT, and they are no way near the GT3 RS with clubsport pedals (sexy pedals).
Imvho , I think the 25 offer great value ...

Yup the extra buttons are nice , but the lack of sequential on the shifter means no fly off handbrake ( have my downshift on the shifter set to hand brake , and it works very well ....very WRC )

Fantec is a nice wheel for sure , but by the time you add pedals it gets a bit pricey

Bang fer buck i think the G25 is hard to beat
So FPVaroon, what wheel did you end up with?
Would be nice to hear and what you think about whatever you decided anyway... as a conclusion of this thread!
Quote from Ingolf :So FPVaroon, what wheel did you end up with?
Would be nice to hear and what you think about whatever you decided anyway... as a conclusion of this thread!

I think I'll go with the G27, I'm awaiting my tax rebate so I can get it, hopefully in the next 1-2 weeks.
Quote from rich uk :I must say I prefer the G25 over the G27. ff feels better

same here , and you have the option to select either sequential or H-shifter with it , to answer the poster his question , no the pedals have no force feedback , for the rest they are pretty much the same thing if you exclude the extra 4 buttons and rev lights
Can't go wrong with either G25 or G27, both awesome wheels.. and for the price I don't think there's a better deal.
True, my last wheel I had was G25 too. Now i don't have any wheel but I'm not racing anymore so don't bother bout that.

If I'd come back to LFS, I think i will buy a Fanatec, also great wheels they have
Took a while, I felt as if I needed a bigger screen first, 50"

Picked up a G25 yesterday, build a stand out of chipboard which will soon need replacing.

Excuse the mess.
Attached images
DSC08194.JPG
One more pic
Attached images
DSC08195.JPG
Great FPVaaron!
Many hours, weeks, years of fun with the G25 is awaiting
Happy driving!
Grats! I just got one myself too
Congrats on the new wheel... and welcome back!

Now, not to hijack your topic, but what are people's experiences and / or opinions on the DFGT ? I'm looking for a new wheel (for real this time ) and the DFGT seems in a much more appropiate priceclass than the G27 (129 vs 350 euros). Opinions please ?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG