The online racing simulator
3rd LFS.exe crash in 1 hour
(41 posts, started )
Hi,

In the last hour I've been trying to play LFS it has crashed three times... All three times were online on random (BF1) servers. I'm using Patch T.

I've attached a screenshot of the error reports and one of my system specs, hope someone can tell me whether it is this pc or it is a program bug...
If you need more info, please let me know.

Thanks,

TraXXion

Edit: two errors were so bad I had to reset the pc (blue screen and black screen ) the other one brought me back to the desktop as you can see in the attached screenshot
Attached images
3rdcrash.jpg
systemspecs.jpg
ATI game crash
Before opening a new bug report topic, I have searched for other bug reports of the same sort. I have a lot of game crashes too.

The similarities with our system specifications is that we both use ATI RADEON video cards and Windows XP. I have a Gigabyte RADEON 9600 PRO and use the latest 6.4 Catalyst driver from yesterday. My previous driver was probably above 5.11. There was no overclocking or overheating.

Since the new patch has come out, my game regularly freezes. After a game freeze, the ATI card resets itself in 10 seconds (VPU recover feature).

Before the latest LFS patch came out, I also had such game crashes, but they were very rare, and only occured with the FOX cars (after driving 2 or more hours). Now I can rarely complete a lap.

I have experimented with
- switching off my firewall completely and even running the program offline ;
- altering Catalyst settings and LFS graphics settings,
but nothing has worked so far.

See some other topics for problems with ATI cards:
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=6858 and
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=3639&page=5
patch T can solve this problem as the purpose of its releasing...

but my problems is ..i can't connect to master server...!!

for 3-4 hours... T_T
Patch T does not fix the ATI game crash problem
The problem got even more intensive after unpacking patch T.
-
(traxxion) DELETED by traxxion
Quote from Zsolt Nagy :The problem got even more intensive after unpacking patch T.

Exactly!! Same here!! Glad it's not just me...
Quote from Zsolt Nagy :The problem got even more intensive after unpacking patch T.

I agree. Yesterday in the morning when I still had S patch I had no problems, then I installed patch T and it crashes to the destktop.
ATI game crash solution
For ATI users: I have downloaded and installed Catalyst version 5.11 and the game seems to work fine so far. I have raced for around 1 hour, which is a huge improvement compared to crashing in every lap. If the game freezes with this driver too, I will send a message here.

It is a good compromise to use version 5.11 drivers until the problem is fixed.
new game crash
The game froze again with the 5.11 Catalyst drivers too, while the RADEON 9600 PRO was not even warm.

I will drive with a GeForce2 MX 400 until the bug is fixed.
Quote from traxxion :I've attached a screenshot of the error reports and one of my system specs, hope someone can tell me whether it is this pc or it is a program bug...

Thanks for the crash address. That appears at first sight to be a LFS bug, not a computer issue (because the end six digits of the crash address start with a 4). I have noted this on my bug sheet.
Quote from Scawen :That appears at first sight to be a LFS bug, not a computer issue .... I have noted this on my bug sheet.

Phew, glad it's not the pc. Thanks Scawen, I hope/expect you can fix it :up:
I'm waiting for the fix too, but until that, I have scheduled races to be done, so I've come up with a solution: if you turn 8x AGP settings off and set the video card to provide only basic directx functionality, no game crash occurs.

However, frame rate drops drastically (when I start a race, it's below 10).

I hope it's not a big issue to fix this bug, since it's very uncomfortable to drive like that.
Quote from traxxion :Phew, glad it's not the pc. Thanks Scawen, I hope/expect you can fix it :up:

On further investigation, that bug seems very mysterious. It happened in the middle of an old function that has not changed for years, and is perfectly reliable. It just doesn't make sense. I can't claim for sure that it's not an LFS bug but I start to get some suspicion about your computer. Is it overclocked / overheating / etc?

Please run Dr Watson (it's part of Windows and provided detailed crash reports).

Before you start LFS : Start... Run... drwatson

When LFS crashes, Dr Watson will create an error log / crash report. I think it will tell you where it saved the report. You can then attach the watson log here or send it to us by email. Thanks.
Quote from Zsolt Nagy :I'm waiting for the fix too...

I don't really see any reason to suspect that your freeze is the same problem as traxxion's crash.

The problem with your one is I've got absolutely nothing to go on, nothing to investigate. All I know is that on your computer, it sometimes freezes. It really sounds like more of a hardware or driver problem. I'm not saying it IS, I'm just saying, it SEEMS like it, and there's not really anything I can do to investigate, unless you could produce a Watson Log, or something like that.
Quote from Scawen :Is it overclocked / overheating / etc?

Please run Dr Watson (it's part of Windows and provided detailed crash reports).

I'm sorry, it's been ages since I've been here. I haven't been playing on my dad's pc lately and therefore forgot about this thread.
I'm certain the pc is as standard as can be, so absolutely no overclocking. I don't expect it's overheating either but how can I be certain of that?
Anyway, I'll certainly try the Dr Watson method coming weekend, but does that also work on blue screens? Because sometimes I get blue screens, sometimes just LFS crashes, back to desktop.

Edit: running patch U20
Quote from traxxion :Anyway, I'll certainly try the Dr Watson method coming weekend, but does that also work on blue screens? Because sometimes I get blue screens, sometimes just LFS crashes, back to desktop.

Depends, usually not, but you do (if Windows is setup to do it) get crash dumps in %SystemRoot%\Minidump. If you can get the correct dump from there either Scawen or one of us can pick it apart and see if we can track down the problem.

Although having said that with the BSOD reason can often avoid the stress of picking apart a minidump
Wow, answers.

I used to get this alot and still do from time to time (LFS has only crashed once in about a week)

If it's any help it seems that using team speak would make the crashing worse but it has happend without it to.

Allways thought it was my "standard" pc.

The one time it has crashed on patch U20 (just got it a few days ago) was when I hit Shift Q and it just crashed straight away.
Weird, I have a raedon 9600XT, and catalyst 6.14 drivers. I don't seem to have any problems.
I had had a crash problem on LFS when I clocked my system to far, I set it back just a bit & its been stable ever since.
-
(CSU1) DELETED by CSU1
OK, I just had an LFS.exe crash while I was racing online. Screen turned black, sound looped and it crashed back to desktop. Unfortunately I forgot to look at the crash address (I know, hit me.. :S).

I do have the temp replay though, it's pretty corrupted - says im going the wrong way while Im not, and has some difficulties displaying the asphalt texture - but it plays (on my pc that is). Please find it attached to this post.

I had Dr Watson on as well but that still comes up with "Geen fouten gevonden" (No errors found).
I hope the replay helps in some way. I'll just go back online and wait till the next crash

PS Patch U20
Attached files
temp_mpr.mpr - 796 KB - 224 views
Yay, not even one lap done and there's the next crash.

Screenshot and replay attached (didnt check for playability now), Dr Watson still thinks everything is fine.
Attached images
crash.jpg
Attached files
temp_mpr.mpr - 588 KB - 219 views
Not even half a lap done and a near crash now (never had this one before). Screen froze, sound looped, then turned black and then I was back on (rather: off) track. Major hickup I'd call it. In the replay it's just displayed as lag, but maybe it helps.
Attached files
hickup.mpr - 331.8 KB - 230 views
Are you sure your computer is ok? I mean... it doesnt look like it tbh :/
I'm not sure ORION, all I know is that it doesn't crash like this in any other game/application.
And now I've been playing without any problems for 20 minutes... i just don't get it.
just had another game crash had LFS on for 2hour s played on & off then half way through a big race with a decent lead over 2nd place man it just crashed? black screen LFS.exe an error has occured at exeption .......blah

(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG