The online racing simulator
Traction Control
(98 posts, started )
Traction Control
Its good to include traction control to all cars. This helps a lot keyboard drivers.
Traction control is only given to the cars that would really have it in real life.

BF1 uses it. And the FZ50, which is similar to a Porsche with TC, uses it also.
#3 - ajp71
This is a simulation of real life so few racing cars do have it IRL.
To my understanding, you can get TC in pretty much any modern car from the factory. Certainly on a car like the FXO Turbo.

And even if it isn't often used in racing situations, it would still be neat to see how it works on FWD cars etc

Hopefully someone will make a LFStweak-esque program which you could use to experiment with TC offline on any car. For one, I'd like to compare tyre wear and lap times for the XFR with and without TC.
I wouldn't have a problem with every car having the option of Traction Control as long as servers admins have the ability to force it off if they wish.
Yes. The devs could have put it on all of the road cars in this patch. I guess they didn't want to make it too easy .

I am in favour of TCS on all cars, but an option for admins to either ban TCS or to make TCS users carry a passanger or something like that.
I wouldn't like it at all for every car. BF1 and FZ50 is just fine. Then you are getting into what other simulations do... creating driving aids for every possible car. No, No, and NO!!!

Please keep the cars respectable to a reallife counterpart, and don't give it TC if it shouldn't have it :doh: sheesh.
#8 - ajp71
Most road cars of the late '80s did not have traction control, and this is when it seems most of our cars come from.

The devs could waste their time setting up TC for all road cars, which would be even more pointless with the new physics. TC only helps putting the power down and won't stop unpowered oversteer.
BUMP!

It is strange that only one road car has traction control. I do understand that it would be rather stupid to include it to GTR-cars, but TC has been more or less available nearly to all cars back from the 80's to present. It is possible that few would actually use it, but still, if it is in RL-car, why shouldn't it be in a LFS-car?

Other (Rather off-topic) is that most 90's cars (And nearly all 2k cars) has cruise control. Yes, I know that pit limiter != cruise control, but for some reason I hear alot from servers that people would like to have it in road cars also. I have no opinion on this one, I can manage without it.
No car. None. Zilch. Not one. Uno minus uno. Nada.

The number of cars with less than 500hp that need traction control.

Unless the driver is a complete wanker behind the wheel. Is that you?
#11 - Woz
Quote from Gekkibi :BUMP!

It is strange that only one road car has traction control. I do understand that it would be rather stupid to include it to GTR-cars, but TC has been more or less available nearly to all cars back from the 80's to present. It is possible that few would actually use it, but still, if it is in RL-car, why shouldn't it be in a LFS-car?

Other (Rather off-topic) is that most 90's cars (And nearly all 2k cars) has cruise control. Yes, I know that pit limiter != cruise control, but for some reason I hear alot from servers that people would like to have it in road cars also. I have no opinion on this one, I can manage without it.

TC is fine on just the FZ5 and the BF1. The UF1, GTi and GT would never have IRL and as the TBO cars are 80s cars niether would they.

The RAC does not have it IRL and I doubt any GTR spec cars are allowed in the reg. So its fine how it is.

In most cars that you can get TC on today it is an option on the higher spec cars, it is even an option on most BMWs.

As for cruise control to use as pit limiter, no. I get the feeling this is people asking for aids to come back now most have been removed.
Quote from tristancliffe :No car. None. Zilch. Not one. Uno minus uno. Nada.

The number of cars with less than 500hp that need traction control.

Unless the driver is a complete wanker behind the wheel. Is that you?

Nolla, ei yhtään, tyhjä arpa.

The number of cars we need in a car simulator. After all, we have plenty of cars in real life...

Isn't the point of simulator to simulate something? In this time, simulating cars. And if car has TC, why shouldn't that been simulated? As well we shouldn't simulate handbrake, because who really uses that in a racing situation..?

EDIT:

Quote from Woz :In most cars that you can get TC on today it is an option on the higher spec cars, it is even an option on most BMWs.

So it could be an additional option in LFS?

Maybe I should calm down. I don't need TC for other cars this bad. Sorry tristancliffe about my temper, I am just so tired right now.
I would have thought that the FXO would have TC though. Im not saying i need it, but it seems to be a relatively newish car. Its FWD, over 220hp and it likes to spin the wheels as it is, yet a MK1 95 mondeo, which in 2.5 V6 form, is producing 170hp stock, and yet that has TC.

Imo, if the FXO was a real car, and it came from the era we think it does, it would come with TC.
#14 - Woz
Quote from Gekkibi :So it could be an additional option in LFS?

Quote from Nathan_French_14 :I would have thought that the FXO would have TC though.

Why. People should just learn that if you are heavy on the gas you cook the tyres. This is what car control is all about. It has been decided they don't have TC so that is the way it is.
Does the LFS TC actually work like real TC... It just seems more like an accelerator limiter... I'm sure TC systems are more complicated than that
#16 - Woz
Quote from JO53PHS :Does the LFS TC actually work like real TC... It just seems more like an accelerator limiter... I'm sure TC systems are more complicated than that

The TC that was on my BINI (BM Mini) controlled brakes on a wheel by wheel basis along with throttle input to keep the car in shape. It used the ABS sensors to determine what was going on.
Are we going to lose traction control in the Formula 1 car? I hear that's what's happening in reality...

If so, I'm so screwed, lol.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :Are we going to lose traction control in the Formula 1 car? I hear that's what's happening in reality...

If so, I'm so screwed, lol.

No. It's a 2006 car, not a 2008 car. If we get a new F1 then probably, but that doesn't seem to likely.
My Saturn has traction control. I only encountered it once on dry pavement, and that's when I decided to floor it turning right away from a stop sign. And then later I tried it without the traction control, and I made tire smoke! Except the differential in Saturns is very fragile. If I decide to start doing autocross, then I will most likely get a LSD kit for the differential.
I didn't know that too many modern family-type passenger cars had TC, especially front-wheel drive ones. I have a '98 Acura CL which definitely does not have traction control. Not that I would want it anyway.
/me starts ferreting

By the looks of it the Vauxhall Calibra Turbo* doesn't have TC but it does have ABS though, and properly modelled ABS would be a really nice thing.

*my yardstick for the FXO, given that the specs are almost the same and the age looks right, IMO the TBOs are early to mid 90s, some modern technology but nothing too poncey.

As for the RB4, the Celicas of that era, by the looks of it, didn't have TC either.

On the XRT front, the Mitsubishi Starion didn't look like it had it. As for my timing yardstick, if the XRT is supposed to be a Starion it's OKish as Starion production ended in 1990.

So that looks like a no for the TBOs.

Citroen AX? No TC for that, no TC for XFG. Original Minis? Don't make me laugh.

However, should we get some newer cars they should have TC if they would have it in RL.
Quote from Lateralus :I didn't know that too many modern family-type passenger cars had TC, especially front-wheel drive ones. I have a '98 Acura CL which definitely does not have traction control. Not that I would want it anyway.

Many, many modern cars have some form of traction control. All Audis, BMWs, ALL sports cars have it. Then there's stability control such as ESC, StabiliTrak, DSC, ESP, AdvanceTrac, RSC, etc (depending on the manucafturer - they all have their own sill acronyms.) Then you'be got ABS, ECS... Subaru has VDC - the list goes on and on...

Many front-wheel drive cars have some sort of traction control to help in slippery conditions.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :Many, many modern cars have some form of traction control. All Audis, BMWs, ALL sports cars have it. Then there's stability control such as ESC, StabiliTrak, DSC, ESP, AdvanceTrac, RSC, etc (depending on the manucafturer - they all have their own sill acronyms.) Then you'be got ABS, ECS... Subaru has VDC - the list goes on and on...

Many front-wheel drive cars have some sort of traction control to help in slippery conditions.

I just looked up Volvo Cars on Wikipedia:

Quote :
Safety milestones
  • 1984 ABS anti–locking brakes
  • 1985 ETC – Electronic Traction Control
  • 1986 Brake lights in rear window
  • 1986 Three–point safety belt centre rear seat
  • 1987 Mechanical safety belt pre–tensioner
  • 1987 Airbag – driver
  • 1990 Integrated child safety cushion in centre rear seat
  • 1991 SIPS – Side Impact Protection System
  • 1991 Automatic height adjusting safety belt
  • 1992 Reinforced rear seats in estate models
  • 1992 Passenger airbag front
  • 1993 Three–point inertia–reel safety belts – all rear positions
  • 1994 SIPS–bag, side airbag
  • 1995 DSA – Dynamic Stability Assistance
  • 1995 Integrated child safety cushion outer rear seats
  • 1997 ROPS – Roll Over Protection System (C70)
  • 1998 WHIPS – Whiplash Protection System
  • 1998 IC – Inflatable Curtain
  • 1998 STC – Stability and Traction Control
  • 1998 DSTC – Dynamic Stability and Traction Control
  • 1998 EBD – Electronic Brake Distribution
  • 2000 ISOFIX anchorages with rearward–facing child safety seat
  • 2000 Dual Stage Airbag
  • 2001 SCC – Volvo Safety Concept Car
  • 2002 RSC – Roll Stability Control
  • 2002 ROPS – Roll Over Protection System (XC90)
  • 2002 New integrated child seat 2nd row (XC90)
  • 2002 Lower Cross Member (XC90)
  • 2002 New compatible front design (XC90)
  • 2002 Safe 3rd row seats (XC90)
  • 2002 New Front Structure (XC90)
  • 2003 New Front Structure called Volvo Intelligent Vehicle Architecture (VIVA) (S40, V50)
  • 2003 Rear seat belt reminders (in S40 and V50)
  • 2003 IDIS – Intelligent Driver Information System (in S40 and V50)
  • 2003 Inauguration of Volvo's Traffic Accident Research Team in Bangkok
  • 2004 BLIS – Blind Spot Information System (in S40 and V50)
  • 2004 Water repellent glass WRG
  • 2005 Introduction of DMIC (Door Mounted Inflatable Curtain) (new Volvo C70)
  • 2006 PCC - Personal Car Communicator (S80)
  • 2006 CWBS - Collision Warning with Brake Support (S80)
  • 2006 ABL - Active Bixenon Lights (S80)
  • 2007 ACC - Adaptive Cruise Control (S80)
  • 2007 PPB - Power Park Brake (S80)
  • 2007 HDC - Hill Descent Control (XC70 and future XC)
  • 2007 EBL - Emergency Brake Light (Premier on S40 and V50, standard on all after)
  • 2007 DAC - Driver Alert Control (V70, XC70)
  • 2007 LDW - Lane Departure Warning System[33]

Could they think of any more acronyms?
Quote from Stang70Fastback :Many, many modern cars have some form of traction control. All Audis, BMWs, ALL sports cars have it. Then there's stability control such as ESC, StabiliTrak, DSC, ESP, AdvanceTrac, RSC, etc (depending on the manucafturer - they all have their own sill acronyms.) Then you'be got ABS, ECS... Subaru has VDC - the list goes on and on...

But none of them need it. I can understand ABS because most people are rubbish at driving. But Traction Control? Every human being has it built in. I can see that more than 500hp might catch out the village idiot now and again, but 200hp? What a joke. Unfortunately people now expect the car to save them from their own stupidity, and so driving standards become worse and worse.
Quote from tristancliffe :But none of them need it. I can understand ABS because most people are rubbish at driving. But Traction Control? Every human being has it built in. I can see that more than 500hp might catch out the village idiot now and again, but 200hp? What a joke. Unfortunately people now expect the car to save them from their own stupidity, and so driving standards become worse and worse.

Wrong. We are talking road cars here. Have you ever attempted to move from a start facing uphill in 20 inches of snow? If you breathe on the throttle pedal, the tires will spin. Hence, traction control on a road car is not for racing or performance driving, but for the capability of driving in snow. But since you guys are looked upon by nature as so perfect in the UK, I see how you will feel that traction control is not needed because you don't usually get very much snow.

If only the rest of the world was as perfect, there would be no reason for any drivability or safety functions in automobiles.

Traction Control
(98 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG