The online racing simulator
Quote from tristancliffe :It would be the quickest way to boost sales, but the quickest way to absolutely ruin the car. Drivers cars should not ever have TC.

I see what you mean, but you could simply turn it off if you think you dont need/want it. (Edit: i mean in LFS.)
Quote from nismodallin :Would a Caterham have traction control by the way?

No, and it probably doesn't need it, as it doesn't have the power to weight ratio of the cars that do. A Caterham and F1 weigh about the same, but it's 260hp versus 900hp (2004, not sure what the V8's are making now). TC makes sense for 900hp, but it isn't needed for 260hp. Some owners will put in a fast sequential shifter, but this is fairly rare.
the LX8 shoul come in a GTR form though, no pedestrian mansypansy stuff.
kinda like the Donkevoort V8 that lapped Nurburgring inlike 6 minutes or something crazy, with the front and rear wings..
of course this opens the door for LMP's (Panoz LMP 1 anyone?) or Courage
Quote from Jakg :look, the skins werent properly developed, but if you look in the news archives it says about it, so the car definately existed, but was abondoned as nothing else would be quite like it (nothing to compete i mean, although i dont see whats wrong with a few single make series!

i drove the lx8 in cologne , it definately existed. lots of power, lots of problems on bumps and little hills. the car just wanted to fly all the time :P.

i hope the lx8 will have it's comeback.

iirc it had 345 hp
Since the lx4 and lx6 cars feel a bit underpowered now, I really vote for a version with lots of power. Especially if it has slicks.
Well the LX6 was distinctly squirrelly in S1. It's a bit of a pussycat in S2 and I can't really see the LX8 being much more terrifying than the S1 LX6. Personally, I'd love to see it. Those who find a car which won't take being floored in first gear a bit too challenging can leave it in the garage, but I'll fang it with pleasure.
I would consider a dev comment highly acceptable at this point

How bout it Scawen? You can be just as enigmatic as you like, even a simple if/when it will be revived would be very nice
It was said earler (not sure by whom) that the LX8 would be too heavy to be competitive. If it really had a V8 (what size was it going to be?) it would probably have been quit powerful car with most of the weight on front tyres = understeery car with lots of power. Not really something I call a pleasure to drive

Without slicks it just wouldn't be competitive imho.
Please, please in patch U

It would be quite good fun to drive.
Quote from Hyperactive :It was said earler (not sure by whom) that the LX8 would be too heavy to be competitive.

Which is why I recommended changing the LX series to be based on power and not number of cylinders. The current LX6 is 190hp. My recommendation is to follow what is currently available, 140hp, 200hp, and 260hp, all of which use 4 cylinder engines, 140hp from 1.8 liter engine, up to 260hp from a 2.3 liter engine (Ford Duratec) that is as light as the older technology 1.8 liter engine.
#36 - JTbo
If there is going to be LX8, hopefully it will have engine that puts power out under 7000rpm, many of engines in lfs are already those motorbike kind of engines, maybe because sound engine handles high rev sounds better than low revs, but perhaps time get that sorted out too...

So I guess not LX8 very soon, specially with these wishes
hey i would LOVE to even get to try the LX8, if theres any one who still has the beta with LX8 it'd be F-ing sweet if you cud send it my way

cus some how i REALLY dont think they will add the LX8 just becus its to good to be true, an LX8-GTR would out run any of the GTR's we have now times 10. lol the oh so fast FZR would be left in the dust like a civic DX LMFAO! that would be sweet!
I had played the beta at a friends house and that was when there was no pits and the bloody LX8 was impossible to drive, I think that with the new physics, the LX8 would be much more controllable.
#39 - JTbo
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I had played the beta at a friends house and that was when there was no pits and the bloody LX8 was impossible to drive, I think that with the new physics, the LX8 would be much more controllable.

Beta was never released for public, so your friend is beta tester?
Quote from tristancliffe :It would be the quickest way to boost sales, but the quickest way to absolutely ruin the car. Drivers cars should not ever have TC.

What about the Honda S2000, Ferrari Enzo, Corvette, Ferrari 360 Modena and the Pagani Zonda?

TC is neccessary to get to the track and if you ever drive in not so ideal conditions, then I'm sure you'll welcome Traction Control on your sports car.

Also, the Ferrari Enzo has a race and an off mode for "driver aids", if race and off are two distinctive modes you can select from among the Traction Control Agressiveness and such, then there's obviously a need for Traction Control in some driver cars. Also, doesn't Traction Control make you slightly slower in all but the quickest of cars?
Quote from Klichka :What about the Honda S2000, Ferrari Enzo, Corvette, Ferrari 360 Modena and the Pagani Zonda?

TC is neccessary to get to the track and if you ever drive in not so ideal conditions, then I'm sure you'll welcome Traction Control on your sports car.

Also, the Ferrari Enzo has a race and an off mode for "driver aids", if race and off are two distinctive modes you can select from among the Traction Control Agressiveness and such, then there's obviously a need for Traction Control in some driver cars. Also, doesn't Traction Control make you slightly slower in all but the quickest of cars?

TC is in those cars simply because the buyers of those cars can't handle the huge power ouput/rwd layout. TC is to make the cars easier, not necessarily faster. Only a few (or are there any) road cars are faster with stuff like TC on. It's not racing TC, it's safety TC.
Quote from Klichka :

I guess that's exactly what tristan was hinting: Stay away from high powered cars if you can't handle them by yourself (with you, I mean a general you, and not you personally)
Yup. Who'd want to buy a fast car and have a computer programmed by a spotty teenager tell them how much throttle you're allowed to use. I know I wouldn't. I don't approve of 'chipping' cars, but if I ever get a car with TC I'll be finding out how to get the damn thing removed (or at the very least default to off rather than on, and be 100% off when it says it's off, not 70% off like a lot are now).
#44 - JTbo
Quote from tristancliffe :Yup. Who'd want to buy a fast car and have a computer programmed by a spotty teenager tell them how much throttle you're allowed to use. I know I wouldn't. I don't approve of 'chipping' cars, but if I ever get a car with TC I'll be finding out how to get the damn thing removed (or at the very least default to off rather than on, and be 100% off when it says it's off, not 70% off like a lot are now).

I think it is if you like to like Jeremy or Tiff.

Jeremy (bloke that sold F355 and got AMG55 which he thinks is better car):
F430 has great TC, it is faster around track when it is turned on, car is very hard to drive without TC.

Tiff: (Guy that has raced Ferrari and is real race driver)
*Test driving Enzo* Oh my, how to turn TC off, I can't drive this thing, help where to turn it off, ah now we go *Tiff pulls out from corner in nice slide and smiles*

I choose Tiff's style
Quote from tristancliffe :Yup. Who'd want to buy a fast car and have a computer programmed by a spotty teenager tell them how much throttle you're allowed to use. I know I wouldn't. I don't approve of 'chipping' cars, but if I ever get a car with TC I'll be finding out how to get the damn thing removed (or at the very least default to off rather than on, and be 100% off when it says it's off, not 70% off like a lot are now).

I don't think Fiat/Ferrari, Honda, Porsche, or Pagani hire many newbies to work on their flagship sports cars.

Also, while TC is good on road cars, for the game. I don't think I'd be happy with the GTI having Race TC in any form.

(For those who want to debate a car that sees road time having TC, I will mention Black Ice and then ask if you've EVER taken a turn or driven a bit faster than what is PERFECTLY SAFE.)
In the April 2006 edition of Motortrend magazine, they tested a 2006 Corvette Z06 and a Porche 911 Carerra S (and two other cars) at Laguna Seca, with Neil Chirico (apparently their best test driver) at the wheel. The lower powered 911 with more weight over the rear wheels didn't need TC, but Corvette did, as Neil ran it with the stability control set to competition mode. The Corvette has 505hp and weighs 3200lbs (without driver), and has a 51% - 49% front - rear weight bias. Few here in this forum are faster in real life than Neil, and he needed TC on the vette. Also note that the perfomance mode TC on the Vette produces better lap times than with TC off, so even a street car, although expensive, can have a good TC setup.

On the other hand, a Cateham with 260hp has about the same power to weight ratio as the Corvette, but the Caterham has a rearward weight bias (with driver), and stickier tires (for very light cars, tire compounds are softer), so it doesn't need TC.

Bottom line is that some cars are faster with TC, while others don't need it.
Most people don't actually know what black ice IS, let alone how to predict/recover from it, and TC won't save you if you drive along blissfully unaware of the threat.

There is no road speed that is perfectly safe. Chances are driving a car will be the most dangerous thing you'll ever do, but familiarity breeds contemp. People take driving for granted. In fact they feel they couldn't actually live without it (which may be true if you're the only one without it, but not if no one had them). Of course I've taken corners too fast. But rarely am I too fast for the road or the prevailing conditions based upon the ultimate grip levels I will achieve. I may, however, be going to fast for the off chance of a cyclist or a deer doing some exploration. But TC doesn't have ANYTHING to do with go fast. Turning on the TC in an Enzo doesn't make it safe, not in the slightest. It purely means that idiots can jump in and press the loud pedal, pretend they are Michael Schumacher and, normally, survive the experience without killing somone or themselves by over enthusiastic application of loudness. But it doesn't make you safe, and it won't stop you crashing. At this rate supercars (if you can call the Enzo super) will be a thing of the past, bloated with airbags, TC, ABS, Yaw Control, 4WD and all the other non-supercary things designed to make driving easier for idiots.

Me? I'd rather have the option of controlling my own destiny. It won't make me slower, and it won't make me faster. TC won't stop people from understeering into a cyclist at twice the legal limit. It won't stop people from hitting kerbs when they go too fast for their talent. It won't stop the vast majority of accidents in actual fact. In fact, the lack of TC on cars wouldn't make me any more of a threat to society than I am in a 2CV. But without it I'll have a bigger grin. Perhaps supercars should be sold with driving instruction, but not only instruction but to give the drivers an awareness of their own limitations, both on the track and in real world driving conditions. Then throw away ALL the safety equipment and keep supercars super! I don't believe there is ANY need for TC as a safety or performance device. It's only useful contribution is helping poorly suited cars cope on icey roads in colder countries.

ABS on the other hand has real world benefits. I myself still like to NOT have it, as I have learnt how to cadance brake in emergency situations (and I've tested it succesfully too). But 99% of people don't even know what cadance braking is, let alone how to do it. They just see a Go pedal and a Stop pedal, and to stop quicker, no matter what the situation, they press Stop harder and harder. Thus ABS works in reality. TC just spoils the fun. In the UK one of the few things that isn't directly forbidden is acceleration. It is perfectly legal to accelerate as fast as any car is capable of, though you might get booked for driving without due care and attention.

In responce to JeffR, if you need to resort to electronic trickery to make your car go faster (in which case the focus of the car must surely be on speed) then it shows, pure and simply, that the car is inadequately designed for the task in hand. If an Ultima GTR has the world 0-100-0 record for a road car, and Caterhams can out accelerate a Corvette, then surely it just shows that the Corvette (in this example, but could be almost anything that relys on TC) isn't as good as it could be?
Quote from tristancliffe :In responce to JeffR, if you need to resort to electronic trickery to make your car go faster (in which case the focus of the car must surely be on speed) then it shows, pure and simply, that the car is inadequately designed for the task in hand.

Or the human driving the car. Humans don't respond within milliseconds, computers do. Sometimes the car is just very powerful, as in the case of a F1 car. Lap times are simply quicker with TC than without it in a F1 and many other race cars.

Some racing cars use individual wheel braking in addition to the ECU for traction control and improved cornering. The braking oriented racing TC systems allow more torque to be applied to the faster rotating outside rear tire, something not possible with normal differential (and specifically banned in FIA F1 series). Bottom line is that braking oriented TC systems keep all 4 tires at optimal slip, something that can't be done without sensors and computers. The result is faster lap times, and there is some benefit as the technology trickles down into street cars.

The other factor is tire wear. TC results in less rear tire wear, which is important in a real race.

Quote :If an Ultima GTR has the world 0-100-0 record for a road car, and Caterhams can out accelerate a Corvette, then surely it just shows that the Corvette (in this example, but could be almost anything that relys on TC) isn't as good as it could be?

True, the Corvette doesn't have enough rearward bias for the amount of power and grip it has. As previously posted, a Caterham has a more rearward weight bias and stickier tires, so it out launches a Corvette. However the Catheham's poor aerodynamics limit it to about 155mph, while the Z06 will reach about 190mph. On a track like Spa, or Road America, the Z06 will trounce the Caterham. On a shorter track, the Catherham would probably have the advantage.

It's not really a fair comparason, as the Caterham is bascially a streel legal very fun track car, but neither car is an all out race car. Both cars would get obliterated by a Radical SR8, with is more track oriented.

Note that I've already posted that I don't think LX type car with 260hp needs TC. At 350hp or more, it probably would need TC, but I don't think anyone is proposing an super fast LX car here.
Some people just don't understand the difference of a racing TC and a safety TC. They are 2 totally different things. Racing TC is always set so that it gives the maximum acceleration available with preset slip and other factors. Safety TC just don't allow your wheels to spin because you may lose control. It just brakes.

Actually stuff like ESP, ABS and maybe even TC saves lives. All around the world. Simply because the average human driving his ford/corvette/mercedes might (defenately is not able to) not be able to handle the car in accidents. They simply lack the skill/patience or go shock and just stab the brakes and scream like hell. I would defenately have all the widgets and wadgets in my "supercar" if I could make the choise. Otherwise I might not just kill myself but kill others or... you get it.

Also 90% of people overestimate their driving skills. The rest have a clue.
Quote from tristancliffe :Most people don't actually know what black ice IS, let alone how to predict/recover from it, and TC won't save you if you drive along blissfully unaware of the threat.

There is no road speed that is perfectly safe. Chances are driving a car will be the most dangerous thing you'll ever do, but familiarity breeds contemp. People take driving for granted. In fact they feel they couldn't actually live without it (which may be true if you're the only one without it, but not if no one had them). Of course I've taken corners too fast. But rarely am I too fast for the road or the prevailing conditions based upon the ultimate grip levels I will achieve. I may, however, be going to fast for the off chance of a cyclist or a deer doing some exploration. But TC doesn't have ANYTHING to do with go fast. Turning on the TC in an Enzo doesn't make it safe, not in the slightest. It purely means that idiots can jump in and press the loud pedal, pretend they are Michael Schumacher and, normally, survive the experience without killing somone or themselves by over enthusiastic application of loudness. But it doesn't make you safe, and it won't stop you crashing. At this rate supercars (if you can call the Enzo super) will be a thing of the past, bloated with airbags, TC, ABS, Yaw Control, 4WD and all the other non-supercary things designed to make driving easier for idiots.

Me? I'd rather have the option of controlling my own destiny. It won't make me slower, and it won't make me faster. TC won't stop people from understeering into a cyclist at twice the legal limit. It won't stop people from hitting kerbs when they go too fast for their talent. It won't stop the vast majority of accidents in actual fact. In fact, the lack of TC on cars wouldn't make me any more of a threat to society than I am in a 2CV. But without it I'll have a bigger grin. Perhaps supercars should be sold with driving instruction, but not only instruction but to give the drivers an awareness of their own limitations, both on the track and in real world driving conditions. Then throw away ALL the safety equipment and keep supercars super! I don't believe there is ANY need for TC as a safety or performance device. It's only useful contribution is helping poorly suited cars cope on icey roads in colder countries.

ABS on the other hand has real world benefits. I myself still like to NOT have it, as I have learnt how to cadance brake in emergency situations (and I've tested it succesfully too). But 99% of people don't even know what cadance braking is, let alone how to do it. They just see a Go pedal and a Stop pedal, and to stop quicker, no matter what the situation, they press Stop harder and harder. Thus ABS works in reality. TC just spoils the fun. In the UK one of the few things that isn't directly forbidden is acceleration. It is perfectly legal to accelerate as fast as any car is capable of, though you might get booked for driving without due care and attention.

In responce to JeffR, if you need to resort to electronic trickery to make your car go faster (in which case the focus of the car must surely be on speed) then it shows, pure and simply, that the car is inadequately designed for the task in hand. If an Ultima GTR has the world 0-100-0 record for a road car, and Caterhams can out accelerate a Corvette, then surely it just shows that the Corvette (in this example, but could be almost anything that relys on TC) isn't as good as it could be?

I knew I should have come up with a better scenario than the ellusive Black ice that people probably already know to watch out for when the conditions arise, but everything else will be met with a sassy reply demanding Colin McRae replace the said driver.

I'm just saying that maybe some drivers might infact suck enough that traction control near Gravel or some less ideal surface could be helpful.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG