The online racing simulator
Help [Low FPS on windows 7]
(39 posts, started )
Hi,

I have recently just moved to Windows 7, and now my fps are really low :/
When i was on XP i used to run around 60fps, but now on windows 7 i just like 30fps

I have installed all the drivers (Direct X etc...) And still it runs low fps, Does anybody have any ideas on how i could improve my fps?
Quote from kart-36 :Hi,

When i was on XP i used to run around 60fps, but now on windows 7 i just like 30fps

I have installed all the drivers (Direct X etc...) And still it runs low fps, Does anybody have any ideas on how i could improve my fps?

Hey,

Do you mind posting you pc specs ? just so we have some more information.
Quote from hotmail :Hey,

Do you mind posting you pc specs ? just so we have some more information.

You mean like my processor and stuff?
Quote from kart-36 :You mean like my processor and stuff?

Yep, processor, RAM, graphic card... all that you can find
Quote from kart-36 :You mean like my processor and stuff?

some easy trick is too press start icon > type dxdiag > press enter (it should now open a diagostic tool for DirectX, if you click on "save all information" you will get a .txt file with all your hardware / drivers in it. you mind want to attach the txt file on the forum
Quote from freddyalek90 :Yep, processor, RAM, graphic card... all that you can find

Haha okay :P

Processor : Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00 GHz
Ram : 2.00 GB
Nvidia GForce 7050 / Nvidia nForce 610i
#7 - hp999
I'm amazed you got 60 fps with Vista, I'm running my laptop on Vista aswell, T3200(dual-core)@2 Ghz, 4 GB of RAM, nVidia 9200M GS... I've got high-res textures though, used to run between 40-50 fps.

Your specs speak for themselves, I think you might wanna upgrade. Try using GameBooster aswell, it shuts down unnecessary processes and services.
Quote from hp999 :I'm amazed you got 60 fps with Vista, I'm running my laptop on Vista aswell, T3200(dual-core)@2 Ghz, 4 GB of RAM, nVidia 9200M GS... I've got high-res textures though, used to run between 40-50 fps.

Your specs speak for themselves, I think you might wanna upgrade. Try using GameBooster aswell, it shuts down unnecessary processes and services.

No, i had 60 fps with Windows XP, not Vista :P
Off the top of my head, a few possible culprits

Have you run windows updates and installed your video drivers?

Go to your Nvidia Control Panel and turn options more towards "Performance" and not "Quality"

Turn the options down in the game itself. Generally move all the graphics options to the left.
Quote from kart-36 :No, i had 60 fps with Windows XP, not Vista :P

I see... If you can stand the old Windows theme, try changing to that. The original Vista theme sucked the graphics cars up a bit.
Quote from hp999 :I see... If you can stand the old Windows theme, try changing to that. The original Vista theme sucked the graphics cars up a bit.

I'm pretty sure when you start up a game it stops rendering the desktop, that shouldn't actually be a problem.
He went from XP to Windows 7, why would Vista theme have anything to do with it?

Am I missing something?
Vista an Win7 both use the GPU to draw the desktop, so it's the same principle in theory.
Quote from BreadC :this is general lfs...

you should of posted in Technical Assistance

Quote from Chaos :and with a better thread name... something like "low fps with win7" ...

nice you are seeing that, even know you are right, lets help him, and not make this spam

Quote from z-ro 8 :He went from XP to Windows 7, why would Vista theme have anything to do with it?

Am I missing something?

cool down, he just miss read the first post
Quote from kart-36 :Haha okay :P

to me it looks like that the pc is not 100% up to date , but that shouldnt be a problem for lfs.

i have the feeling that you are getting the fps drop because the ram is coming short.

you mind want to take a look at task manager to see or this might be the problem.
( you can open task manager by holding ctrl-alt-del > start task manager,
you are searching for the 4th tab)
Quote from hotmail :

cool down, he just miss read the first post

Was just a question. Don't take it as hostility.
But I guess that's the general consensus of LFS forums lately...
Quote from z-ro 8 :Was just a question. Don't take it as hostility.
But I guess that's the general consensus of LFS forums lately...

thats correct, you could have said: "he written down in his first post that he is coming from win xp, so you are not 100% correct when you are saying, Vista to Win 7, 30 fps drop"

sound much more friendly that "What does vista has got to do with it !!!"

(let get back to his problem)
Quote from pik_d :I'm pretty sure when you start up a game it stops rendering the desktop, that shouldn't actually be a problem.

Used to play LFS in windowed mode, maybe that's why... It did help in my case.

Yes, I mis-read the post yet again, sorry.
Wow
Quote from kart-36 :Hi,

Quote from kart-36 :...

You have integrated GPU with motherboard, inefficient solution in conjunction with Windows 7 and Aero interface.

Suggests:
  1. Turn off Aero interface (change interface to basic or classic).

2. Turn off desktop gadgets.

3. If you have installed default drivers from Microsoft, then download and install drivers from nVidia:
    nForce Driver for Windows 7 32-bit
    nForce Driver for Windows 7 64-bit
    HDMI Audio Driver Driver for Windows 7 32/64-bit

4. Change power plan to High preformance in "\Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options".

5. Turn off antialiasing mode and vertical sync in LFS options.
Nothing else comes to my head.
Quote from adamshl :You have integrated GPU with motherboard, inefficient solution in conjunction with Windows 7 and Aero interface.

Suggests:
  1. Turn off Aero interface (change interface to basic or classic).

2. Turn off desktop gadgets.

3. If you have installed default drivers from Microsoft, then download and install drivers from nVidia:
    nForce Driver for Windows 7 32-bit
    nForce Driver for Windows 7 64-bit
    HDMI Audio Driver Driver for Windows 7 32/64-bit

4. Change power plan to High preformance in "\Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options".

5. Turn off antialiasing mode and vertical sync in LFS options.
Nothing else comes to my head.

Thanks alot
Ive got to around 42fps now :P
I think a new processor will be in order, as i got a new monitor that is now 22inch, the resolution has changed, so perhaps that has made the fps lower aswell?

Also, what sort of fps are you running at?
Changing the screen resolution will hurt your FPS. That's probably whats caused the drop.

Everyone will get different FPS, depending on spec and more bollocks. Not really worth asking as the only FPS that matters is yours.
A new processor would certainly work, along with basically any PCI-E graphics card that you can find.. Even a $40 one should be significantly better.
My suggestion if you ONLY need to use it for low-spec games for LFS is a card like the nVidia G210 which can be had for around $60, and is clearly able to run LFS at highest settings in 1680x1050

(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG