The online racing simulator
2010 Kyoto 500: Qualifying Information and Discussion
Hello racers !

It's almost time for qualifying for the greatest spectacle in LFS. The system is different that what's normal for LFS, and will be highly stressful. Here's the thread to discuss it.

General Information:
Pole Day: 19 June 2010 (Saturday) 15:00 - 21:00 UTC.
Bump Day: 20 June 2010 (Sunday) 15:00 - 21:00 UTC.

General Rules:
Drivers have a maximum of three attempts per day. Attempts are charged after the completion of the first timed lap and first sector of Lap 2. Unused attempts do not carry over to the next day. Once you start the first timed lap of the new attempt, your previous standing time (if any) is deleted from the grid order permanently.

A qualifying attempt consists of two warmup laps, four flying timed laps, and one inlap. The four timed laps are averaged to get the qualifying time.

Tyre warming is prohibited as per the rules, but I do make small allotments. You are permitted a small burnout while exiting your garage, and may go full lock in turns on your first warmup lap. On Warmup 2, you MUST take the normal line, and do NO tyre warming on this lap. It has been suggested, however, that doing tyre warming is more detrimental than it is beneficial.

Pole Day:
Pole day is the only day that Pole Position may be taken. At the end of pole day, the fastest qualifier is locked in to P1 regardless of anyone going faster on Bump Day.

Bump Day:
Bump Day is the day where the rest of the grid is sorted. Bumping referrs to "bumping" the 30th place car out of the field with a faster time. The person in 30th will be referred to as "On the Bubble". Once 30 cars have taken times, Bumping will begin. Bumping may begin on Pole Day.

Procedures
You will be required to request an attempt run via a text chat message saying "Request a run" or similar. If you are in queue and wish to remove yourself, state "Cancel attempt request" While we are qualifying cars, only this will be permitted. The current qualifying car is permitted to block messaged while on his qualifying run ONLY.

You will enter the track immediately after pitwall ends. A layout will be in place to direct you there.

You must return to the pitlane without assistance after your qualifying attempt. As long as part or all of your car has crossed the speed limit start line, you have met this. Failure to do so will result in 0.02 seconds being added to your 4th lap time.

If the qualifying queue is empty, track will be opened for practice until such time another driver wishes to take an attempt.

You are permitted to be in Ventrilo for chat during session, as well as the NDR IRC located as #ndr on irc.gamesurge.net.

I will be using a Google Spreadsheet to track times, and will post a link here on Saturday early morning after all accepted drivers are known.

You must qualify during one of these two windows in order to be eligible to race in the 2010 Kyoto 500.

You will be PMed the password for the server if you meet the entry requirements. This will be PMed to you Saturday morning.

Qualifying Tracking Document
Pressure goes higher as last year's memories get more and more vivid. I'm much more confident on my chances this time anyway.
Quote from dekojester : On Warmup 2, you MUST take the normal line

Some clarification....does this mean that we cant go wide in T3? Technically that's not tyre warming so is that allowed? Or is the "normal line" absolute?
Quote from lizardfolk :Some clarification....does this mean that we cant go wide in T3? Technically that's not tyre warming so is that allowed? Or is the "normal line" absolute?

"normal line" means take a line that is steady, without excess movements to induce understeer for instance. Any line on the track, be it right on the botom, right in the middle, right at the top.
Awww ffs I'm working both days . Good luck all anyway.
Link to Google Document we'll be using to track qualifying stuff in OP.

Driver Summary is just a listing of all drivers and what attempts they have left.

Qualifying Queue will show who is where in the Queue.

Forefited Attempts will be where all attempts go when a new attempt is started. I'll be cruel and also put in where that time would place the driver

Grid shows the current grid as it stands.

Joe Doakes is just an example driver, he'll disappear when the session starts.
I guess I should re-read the rules :|.
Quote from dekojester :Link to Google Document we'll be using to track qualifying stuff in OP.

Driver Summary is just a listing of all drivers and what attempts they have left.

Qualifying Queue will show who is where in the Queue.

forfeited Attempts will be where all attempts go when a new attempt is started. I'll be cruel and also put in where that time would place the driver

Grid shows the current grid as it stands.

Joe Doakes is just an example driver, he'll disappear when the session starts.

fix'd
WOAH Raven just pwned!
Quote from jrd.racer :WOAH Raven just pwned!

He's not done any 36.95 this year, so this is no proper pwnage for him :>
Uhmm What is the pass for the server ?..
Check your PMs, it should be there. If you haven't got a one, request for it here.
Quote from ElonB13 :Uhmm What is the pass for the server ?..

You didn't do enough sessions therefore cannot qualify.
We're currently one car short of a full grid, with 3h44m to go in qualifying. Track is currently open for practice with no cars remaining in queue at this time.
Bumping has begun, with 3h and 2 minutes left in qualie.
I would have been right in the middle but wasn't happy with my average of just under 37.00

I got greedy, tried again, screwed up and the time that eventually counted put me right at the back of the grid. Such is the way it goes.

I was right at the back last year and it didn't work out too badly. If you can't be at the front you're better off not being in the middle anyway I think. At least you can see everything ahead and see potential problems and try to take action.

Sometimes when you are right in the middle you can get swiped before you realise there's a problem around you.

Good luck everybody, see you next weekend.
Got bumped out (31st), decided to give it another go. Last-ditch attempt was slower, so I aborted the run, forgetting I wouldn't have a time at all. Now I can't race even if someone doesn't show up.
Very happy with my own result. Gave my two ER teammates a heart attack as I decided to throw away my P8 to see if I can jump a row or two. Everything that went wrong for the first 2 attempts did. Went slower on my first attempt and dropped to 13th. Second attempt....timed out on the second lap. Final attempt...it's go or go home from here....went fastest and into P5.

Mid position of row 2. Very excited for this weekend. Good luck everyone

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG