The online racing simulator
Cannot find servers online
(6 posts, started )
#1 - qfina
I've trawled the forums and google and cannot find an answer to my question, I hope I am not repeating a common query though!

I am unable to find any servers online to connect to, although I have permitted established connections (TCP) in my ACL, the problem is LFS seems to create UDP connections to the servers, which are not established, and thus, dropped.

If i select "TCP" when searching it works, but I only get about 3 servers at most.

Should I allow certain UDP ports in? If I allow all UDP connections incoming from port 63392 then that mostly works, but only if the hosts haven't changed the default port.

What should be the correct way to do this? I thought they would be established TCP connections, but in being UDP, I don't see an easy way around this?
Did you already check if all other filters are disabled?
Did you tried to switch off your firewall?? It could block your UDP connections and now almost all servers are using UDP rather than TCP cause it's faster and more reliable.
#4 - qfina
Basically the only way to play LFS online, would be to allow incoming UDP from any host/port to any port on my machine.
To secure it a bit more, I could allow only UDP connections originating from port 63392 but that relies on hosts using the default port.

Just interested from a security point of view really, but then again I suppose this is the same for all online games.
Coming from a security background its a pity the games dont use TCP (thereby avoiding this issue), but I can see the obvious benefits to using UDP on games!
#5 - qfina
I'm hoping someone may be able to tell me the port range LFS client listens on? It appears to be around 44** ?
Probably the easiest way of doing it is to allow all UDP ports to your machine(s) and run a firewall with application based rules on each machine.

Personally, I've never had any problems with router based firewalls blocking LFS, and software firewalls seem to do the trick when it comes to dropping packets bound for dis-allowed applications.

(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG