The online racing simulator
Quote from Luke.S :I hope we don't get hung parliament. If we do the country is ****ed.

That's conservative propaganda. They dont want a hung parliament because they know if that happens they're less likely to make a deal with Lib Dem than Labour are. Personally i'd rather parliament was left hung and the Lib Dems stood apart from the Labour whip.

Aside from that a hung parliament can be a very good thing - it meens we wont get all this nonsense we had in the last term, MP's will actually have to debate things and justify the merit of the laws they are trying to pass instead of getting the whip and a cut from their lobbyist to get laws passed.

Anyway, if Conservative manage a majority (sadly Lib Dem can't because the electoral boundaries are just insanely stacked against them, they'd need about 78% of the vote to scrape a majority) then we can still hang them, right? Please?
is it me or do sunderland get faster every time?
lol first mp is a woman with labour.
Quote from Becky Rose :That's conservative propaganda. They dont want a hung parliament because they know if that happens they're less likely to make a deal with Lib Dem than Labour are. Personally i'd rather parliament was left hung and the Lib Dems stood apart from the Labour whip.

Aside from that a hung parliament can be a very good thing - it meens we wont get all this nonsense we had in the last term, MP's will actually have to debate things and justify the merit of the laws they are trying to pass instead of getting the whip and a cut from their lobbyist to get laws passed.

Anyway, if Conservative manage a majority (sadly Lib Dem can't because the electoral boundaries are just insanely stacked against them, they'd need about 78% of the vote to scrape a majority) then we can still hang them, right? Please?

I think Becky you need to sharpen up on the ol' economic front because we are in deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep trouble and the markets are ready to sell off and leave Britain wwaaayyy behind. Give it a year or two... and maybe all the idiots out there may wake up.
Quote from Intrepid :I think Becky you need to sharpen up on the ol' economic front because we are in deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep trouble and the markets are ready to sell off and leave Britain wwaaayyy behind.

The difference between a hung parliament and a majority is that a party which has a majority can force legislation through regardless of opposition by use of the party whip (where the party tells it's MP's how to vote, regardless of the MP's personal position).

That is a BAD thing. That's how we end up with stupid laws, like the DEB.
Anybody but brown, thats all i can say.

The git wasnt even voted in damn it, he just dived into the hotseat when blair decided to push off, and he sold loads of our gold when it was at its lowest price, and he pulls funny faces between sentences, and yes i have no clue how any of it really works either, why cant the party with the most votes just be the winner, surely thats the very definition of the word 'majority' ?
Quote from danthebangerboy :Anybody but brown, thats all i can say.

The git wasnt even voted in damn it, he just dived into the hotseat when blair decided to push off

In this country you vote for the party, not the leader don't you?
Quote from Becky Rose :The difference between a hung parliament and a majority is that a party which has a majority can force legislation through regardless of opposition by use of the party whip (where the party tells it's MP's how to vote, regardless of the MP's personal position).

That is a BAD thing. That's how we end up with stupid laws, like the DEB.

If you think Hung Parliaments don't produce stupid laws your sadly mistaken. With Tories they would scrap ID cards but we'll probably now see some trading between Lib and Lab. I would be surprised to see ID cards kept in exchange for proportional representation. That's how it will work.

Anyway, what I am talking about is the economic troubles this country faces and it won't matter what laws are passed or not if you're eating out of a tin can under a bridge!

It may be instant or take a year but Britain is primed to get slaughtered on the markets and despite the Tories having become weak and lame in recent years quite a big proportion of investors, businessmen, and entrepreneurs (the ones who pays massive amounts of tax and create jobs) hoped they would win. Their bags are packed... and I fear now the tickets booked. I even know some of them!

It's going to be the dreadful 1970s all over again. Viva la powercuts. How you could stomach a lib-lab alliance i do not know i really don't
Quote from danthebangerboy :Anybody but brown, thats all i can say.

Well if Lib line up with Lab then we'll either see Gordon Brown as PM or David Milliband or Ed Balls. Now that's hard to digest isn't it? 5 years of that... just imagine!
Quote :why cant the party with the most votes just be the winner, surely thats the very definition of the word 'majority' ?

No we have a first past the post system, we elect our local MP but aside from that our votes don't meen a thing - in essense there are 650 seperate elections.

We have no formal constitution so the party in power (the majority party) tends to use it's majority to move the voting boundaries into their favour, redefining political areas according to known voting patterns, thus ensuring the maximum possible result at the next election.

Individual votes are pretty meeningless under our system, unless you live in a marginal constituency (one that does not have a clear majority). I live in a Conservative safe-seat, therefor at this election I did not have a vote. I cast one, and went through the motions, but my vote will be defeated and counts for nothing in the overall picture - i'll still be left with an MP who bills landscaping his estates garden to the taxpayer.

Quote from Intrepid :Anyway, what I am talking about is the economic troubles this country faces and it won't matter what laws are passed or not if you're eating out of a tin can under a bridge!

Exactly, no matter what laws are passed. We are in economic meltdown whoever gets in and irrespective of a parliamentary majority. Actually the Conservatives the exit poll looked very much like Conservatives where only just short of a majority anyway, which is pretty much the same thing as a week majority - as MP's have to be present to vote on a division.

Hung parliaments are not all doom and gloom, the only reason we/people think that they are is because the pretenders to the crown want a majority - because a majority gives them more power and meens they can ignore that troublesome opposition who sometimes thinks things are a bad idea.

Unfortunately Labour will be very strong after the election no matter what, poor areas of the country, votes from dead people, and seriously stacked voting boundaries ensure that Labour will still be a formiddable power in the Commons during the next parliamentary term even if they are the opposition.
Oh and Intrepid, EVERY DAMN ELECTION since I was 16 some rich tosser or other has said "OMG if Conservative don't get in the markets are going to collapse and all the money is going to leave the country".

Every damn election.

Every damn one.

Since I was 16.

Every damn election.

And you know what, the first time the market collapsed during my lifetime guess who was in power: ... the Conservatives.
Quote from Becky Rose :Unfortunately Labour will be very strong after the election no matter what, poor areas of the country, votes from dead people, and seriously stacked voting boundaries ensure that Labour will still be a formiddable power in the Commons during the next parliamentary term even if they are the opposition.

Now that's the scariest part of this whole election... it really is!

"Hi we have 20% of all the CCTV cameras in the world despite only 1% of the population. We also like ID cards and DNA databases.

We happen to have run up a £160bn deficit with overall debt to reach 1.4 Trillion. The economy is is dire straits"

apart from the dodgy votes millions of real life people have ticked an X next to Labour... how Becky... HOW and WHY?
Quote from Becky Rose :And you know what, the first time the market collapsed during my lifetime guess who was in power: ... the Conservatives.

I can assure you then you've never witnessed a real collapse unless your 100 years old. I am pretty sure you must hav missed the 70s as well.
Quote from Intrepid :I can assure you then you've never witnessed a real collapse!

Well let's test and measure that shall we. Stock market crashes in my life time:

Black Monday
Friday the 13th (mini crash in '89)
Black Wednesday
.com bubble burst

Black Monday was the worst, that one directly effected my start in life.

EDIT: I do remember the miners strike and such, but I was quite young.
With the news that people have been turned away to vote, particularly the constituencies where there where not enough ballot slips - I would very much like to know what the postal voter registration was... It's hard to beat the votes of dead people if there isn't enough balot paper and you've turned people away...
Quote from Becky Rose :Well let's test and measure that shall we. Stock market crashes in my life time:

Black Monday
Friday the 13th (mini crash in '89)
Black Wednesday
.com bubble burst

Black Monday was the worst, that one directly effected my start in life.

EDIT: I do remember the miners strike and such, but I was quite young.

Becky I would take all of those crashes twice in exchange for what we are facing. What we are witnessing blitzes any of those. They are nothing... little blips.

On a side note - in terms of money Black Monday cost 3.3 Billion (wiki fact ). It killed the Conservatives. Oddly Brown cost the Uk Treasury around 7 Billion (and counting) selling Britains gold and no one mentions it.
Quote from Intrepid :On a side note - in terms of money Black Monday cost 3.3 Billion (wiki fact ). It killed the Conservatives. Oddly Brown cost the Uk Treasury around 7 Billion (and counting) selling Britains gold and no one mentions it.

Err no, everyone agrees the economy is screwed. We just disagree that Conservatives, UKIP or anyone else on the right wing (or left) has a miracle cure.
The big pound sell-off has begun in the markets too.. Though we will probably see some short term stability for a few months until reality hit home (if we see a Lib-Lab alliance it will be more definate).
Quote from Intrepid :The big pound sell-off has begun in the markets too..

I'm confused by your statement: Which market would that be then? Because British & American exchanges are both shut right now...
"Ran out of ballot papers" It's not really a sham is it... a sham suggests it unusual or unexpected
Something to bear in mind as these scandals hit. The "Returning Officer" - the person responsible for handling the ballot, is a councillor. Thanks to some tweaks to the system before the last election this is typically a party official, most noteably in Labour wards.

So when the returning officer interviewed just now said "I'm not blaming anybody". He is actually the one responsible, and more to the point - it is highly likely that he is a party official.

Quote :"Ran out of ballot papers" It's not really a sham is it... a sham suggests it unusual or unexpected

When you know exactly how many people intend to vote, owing to pre-registration, yes - it's shambolic to not have enough ballot papers.

And loosing ballot papers is clearly a case of election fraud. Mind you, they where likely fraudulent votes in the first place.

2010 British General Election
(370 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG